C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GHL Exhaust Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Default GHL Exhaust Review

I just had Vette Doctors install the GHL Catback I bought directly from GHL on my C6. I really enjoy the old school muscle car sound, so I thought Id give these a try after reading many other posts on the forum. After discussing my needs at length with Brian I opted for the "Auto" design even though I have an MN6. I felt in my case, Id rather sacrifice a little sound at the expense of less resonance. I ordered the original auto designed for the A4, not the new A6 desgin, which is supposedly drone free, but I would need to see and hear it to believe it.

1) Buying Experience - Awesome. Brian spent a lot of time talking over my needs, likes etc. He gave me a good price and got the unit to me exactly as promised.
2) Quality - Beautifully built, polished, a shame it has to be under the car. It fit right in the OEM hangers etc, no cutting or mod involved. The Quad tubes fill the slot much better than the OEM, line up nicely and are much more agressive looking.
3) Sound - Ah, here's probably the most subjective topic on the forum today. I will predicate this by saying my favorite sounding car was the 03 Mach 1 I just got rid of for the Vette. Throaty, deep, at cruise you can still hear the radio or carry on a conversation, but at WOT it screams. Ford gets around the resonance problem by having one muffler slightly smaller than the other so resonant frequencies do not reinforce each other. The GHL is very throaty, sounds like the old 455 TransAm at idle, is significantly louder than stock without being punishing. Above 3K RPM, it's the sweetest hum you can imagine. I'm still breaking in, but a quick run up to 4500RPM sounded great, brought a big smile to my face. There is a moderate amount of resonance at the typical times and RPMs. With a stick, you can easily work around it, but it is there. I (like everyone else) would love a resonant free sound, but I dont know if it exists in the Coupe with an aftermarket system. I think having two mufflers, stacked upon one another right below the hollow area of the hatchback has more to do with the resonance than the system design. Opening the windows drops the resonance somewhat. Like all things, nothing is perfect. I'll deal with the shortcoming to have the louder (but not obnoxious) sound. Like Mario says in the commerical, You need to feel the sound to really enjoy a perfomance car. With this new sound, driving the car is much more enjoyable. I may even play with some Dynamat in the cargo area to see if it helps at all.
4) Value - I think the price is on par with most of the popular catbacks. To me value comes down to "Was the juice worth the squeeze"? In this case yes, I think I got a muscle type sound, a long lasting mod backed by a company with great customer service for a fair price.

Until I ride in another Vette with a truely "Drone Free" exhaust (as of today, every car Ive been in with an aftermarket catback does resonate to some degree), the GHL system will be under my C6.
Attached Images   
Old 04-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Larry Arizona
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on! I just got GHLs this week too, and I agree with all your comments...the "drone" is not bad at all IMO; I find it strangely soothing. I love being able to hear the engine now.

Downside, I'm no longer getting my money's worth out of the stereo, 'cuz I'd rather listen to the exhaust.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:22 PM
pitrider
Pro

Good review,i had a GHL system on my prior C6 which was a 6sp manual loved it, agree with your review..Currently GHL is coming out with a new system designed for the A6,i'm on their waiting list.. they should start producing the new system in a few weeks..
Old 04-01-2006, 08:31 PM
bigsipper
Instructor

Me too I love my GHL's. I hear a 1 out of 10 (10 most loud drone) when I drive from Sta. Clarita to Sta. Monica (405 Freeway). Its mostly a downgrade.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:01 PM
BigJag
Pro

I've had GHL's on my car since December (about 500 miles of driving). I too have the A4 automatic version on my MN6. I first had the regular GHL version and I thought my head was gonna explode from the drone. Brian (GHL) offered to let me try the automatic version and it is slightly quieter (still throaty) and has less drone, but still drones. I rate the drone to be about a 3 to 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. That being said, I was at Kerbeck's today and its the first time I've heard a C6 with stock exhaust since I took mine off. No way could I ever go back to that. The pipes also are way to small for the area. Anyway I have a Dynamat Dynapad on order that we be here on Monday. Hopefully that will help somewhat with the drone. I'll post to let everyone know. I have also been thinking about trying an X-pipe although GHL says it doesn't make a difference on a C6.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:13 PM
JELSIS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pitrider
Good review,i had a GHL system on my prior C6 which was a 6sp manual loved it, agree with your review..Currently GHL is coming out with a new system designed for the A6,i'm on their waiting list.. they should start producing the new system in a few weeks..
GHL emailed me and said the new A6 unit will begin shipping this coming week, I cant wait to install and hear it!
Old 04-01-2006, 10:34 PM
pitrider
Pro

Originally Posted by JELSIS
GHL emailed me and said the new A6 unit will begin shipping this coming week, I cant wait to install and hear it!
Awesome
Old 04-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Update:

After driving another 100 or so miles, the little resonance that existed has decreased significantly, it seems to be gone during all normal driving. Only time Ive heard anything at all is wihen Im in 5th or 6th, slowing for traffic and then accelerating instead of downshifting. Even then, it's only minor. Maybe it jsut needed some burn in time?? I dont know much about exhaust, but I do know this system rocks. Ive received so many compliments on the new sound in the past two days, its amazing.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:40 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to concur, GHL is a great company and makes a great product. Vette Doctors are cool, too!

Charlie
Old 04-04-2006, 11:57 PM
aTX427

How much quieter are the GHL compared to bb bullets on a scale of 1-10 - 10 being the loudest?
-idle
-mid
-wot
Old 04-08-2006, 10:52 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

hey craigster,just wondering if you have any headers on your vette and if so,what kind!I'm thing about LG long tubes!
thanks,george
Old 04-08-2006, 10:57 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coin Op
hey craigster,just wondering if you have any headers on your vette and if so,what kind!I'm thing about LG long tubes!
thanks,george

George, LG's longtubes with GHL's are an excellent sound and power combination.

Charlie
Old 04-11-2006, 09:38 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

hey charlie,any complaints from your customers on b+b exhausts!
they sound naaasty,in a good way!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1bdasvt
thanks,george

George,

No headers yet. I'm gonna sit with it as is for the summer and see. LG would be the first for me to look at if I do.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:32 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Good write up.

Get notified of new replies

To GHL Exhaust Review

Quick Reply: GHL Exhaust Review