C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise when backing up wheel turned any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:24 AM
wveruner
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Noise when backing up wheel turned any ideas?

When backing up intermittently wheel cranked to the left or right hear rubbing noise not cranked all the way. Dealer states it is normal does anyone else hear this noise? It is intermittently. 2005 c6 automatic convertible. Thanks gary
Old 08-02-2006, 12:38 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wveruner
When backing up intermittently wheel cranked to the left or right hear rubbing noise not cranked all the way. Dealer states it is normal does anyone else hear this noise? It is intermittently. 2005 c6 automatic convertible. Thanks gary
never heard that one. heard the one from clutch pack going forward
Old 08-02-2006, 05:57 PM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard something rub when backing out of my garage a few times and turning sharply in reverse. I've looked at the inside of the tires and fender wells and don't see any evidence of scrubbing. I've tried to duplicate it a few times and it doesn't do it again. I don't know what the heck it is, and I'm just not going to worry about it anymore.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:04 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It sounds like the front tires scrubing.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:05 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

rear end clutch packs, there is a bulletin out on it, first step change lube and if that don't do it then change clutch packs.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:11 PM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure sounds like it comes from the front on mine. I'll ask the dealer but pfffft, no confidence there. The once in a while I hear it, turning the wheel back a little stops it. It may be I've never scrubbed whatever it's scrubbing enough to make a mark. But it is weird that it is not something that I can "make" happen, just once in a while, always when backing out of the garage cold.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by StarJack
Sure sounds like it comes from the front on mine. I'll ask the dealer but pfffft, no confidence there. The once in a while I hear it, turning the wheel back a little stops it. It may be I've never scrubbed whatever it's scrubbing enough to make a mark. But it is weird that it is not something that I can "make" happen, just once in a while, always when backing out of the garage cold.
It happen's to me almost every time I back out of the driveway and turn. The tires are so wide they will scrub as your backing. They are skipping a little because of their width and the back pulling them as you turn.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:36 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just for fun, check and see if the upper bolts and lower nuts that hold your rear sway bar brackets on the frame (not the end links) are tight (especially the upper bolt on the driver side). Let me know what you find . . .
Old 08-03-2006, 01:57 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
It sounds like the front tires scrubing.
Stick slip. It only makes noise on some surfaces, rough concrete makes the most noise.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Me262
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
rear end clutch packs, there is a bulletin out on it, first step change lube and if that don't do it then change clutch packs.
Mine is getting pretty bad. The dealer already did the lube change and it had no effect. It is definately not a tire problem. Guess it's time for surgery. Is the clutch pack change out a one day deal? Do you have that bulletin? Thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 01:34 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Do you have a car bra installed?
Old 08-04-2006, 01:39 PM
tigerrreyes
Intermediate

Default Got the same problem here

my 06 vert is actually at the dealership right now getting that noise checked out too I took it two days ago and they called me that it was done today. I have had the same problem and only had the car for 4 months so far. It is no big deal once you are going over 10 mph/s but it is very annoying when backing out slowly or pulling forward out of a parking spot and turning either left of right. Hopefully they got it fixed

I got a call from the dealer about 10 minutes ago. They fixed the noise issue. It was the clutch that was rubbing or something like that

but... now they put me on a different dilemma. The main reason I took the car in for service was because of a small hole on the inside of the soft top. I have had my 06 Vert for 4 months barely and the soft top has a small hole on the inside part on the passenger side. The hole was caused by the side bars. Evertime I drop the top, one of the corners of the side bars rubs the soft top and over the last 4 months it has made a small hole. The dealer saw how it rubs because I show it to them when I brought the car in for service. And now they are saying that there's nothing they can do or will do about it. Does that seem right? Shouldn't they fix it or replace it or something since I had only have the car for 4 months and it has a hole on the top already... I know is a very small hole right now, but I'm very sure it will keep getting bigger with time.

Last edited by tigerrreyes; 08-04-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Me262
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tigerrreyes
my 06 vert is actually at the dealership right now getting that noise checked out too I took it two days ago and they called me that it was done today. I have had the same problem and only had the car for 4 months so far. It is no big deal once you are going over 10 mph/s but it is very annoying when backing out slowly or pulling forward out of a parking spot and turning either left of right. Hopefully they got it fixed

I got a call from the dealer about 10 minutes ago. They fixed the noise issue. It was the clutch that was rubbing or something like that

but... now they put me on a different dilemma. The main reason I took the car in for service was because of a small hole on the inside of the soft top. I have had my 06 Vert for 4 months barely and the soft top has a small hole on the inside part on the passenger side. The hole was caused by the side bars. Evertime I drop the top, one of the corners of the side bars rubs the soft top and over the last 4 months it has made a small hole. The dealer saw how it rubs because I show it to them when I brought the car in for service. And now they are saying that there's nothing they can do or will do about it. Does that seem right? Shouldn't they fix it or replace it or something since I had only have the car for 4 months and it has a hole on the top already... I know is a very small hole right now, but I'm very sure it will keep getting bigger with time.
It would seem to me that they would not try to dodge an obvious warranty problem.Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Me262
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS WON
Do you have a car bra installed?
Only on Saturday nights. J/K
Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Me262
Mine is getting pretty bad. The dealer already did the lube change and it had no effect. It is definately not a tire problem. Guess it's time for surgery. Is the clutch pack change out a one day deal? Do you have that bulletin? Thanks
I did the lube first and then they ordered the packs ahead of time and got it back in one day, no problem since. It only does it when backing up and turning and I don't have the Bull number but it has been posted on some other threads.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:12 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I get the same noise occasionally from the right rear when backing down the driveway and turning? I have ignored it up to this point. (06 A6)
Old 08-06-2006, 01:13 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
I get the same noise occasionally from the right rear when backing down the driveway and turning? I have ignored it up to this point. (06 A6)
If the noise is coming from the rear it's probably the differential clutches. There's a TSB for that.

Get notified of new replies

To Noise when backing up wheel turned any ideas?

Old 08-06-2006, 02:30 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Is this going to be a common problem for the C-6 Corvette? Any polls done on this?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Me262
Intermediate

I just dropped mine off for the second time. I wanted them to replace the clutch packs. They won't do it yet. They say Chevy protocol is to change the fluids twice before they will replace the packs. It sounds like popcorn when I back up. I really don't see a fluid change making that big of difference. But whatever.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:32 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Me262
I just dropped mine off for the second time. I wanted them to replace the clutch packs. They won't do it yet. They say Chevy protocol is to change the fluids twice before they will replace the packs. It sounds like popcorn when I back up. I really don't see a fluid change making that big of difference. But whatever.
For the second time they are suppose to replace the clutch packs. First time fluid only.

Quick Reply: Noise when backing up wheel turned any ideas?