C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG PROPS to Doug@LAPD for the 2bar SD tune!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BIG PROPS to Doug@LAPD for the 2bar SD tune!

With all the hype I've been reading on various forums about Speed Density tuning...I was curious to see what benefits it would bring to my FI setup. Doug Stalter, Los Angeles Performance Division (LAPD) exclusive tuner came highly recommended by my Corvette collegues. I took the liberty meeting Doug over lunch and discussing the pros & cons, and getting a feel with his approach to tuning. I was also impressed with his former tuning experiences with Edelbrock and Magnuson.

Doug took a few days working the car, road testing, dyno runs, back on the road to continue data logging. The entire process was done with a wideband 02 sensor plugged into the 02 bung on one of the headers. I'm beginning to understand the importance of this method and now a firm believer. He ran into some issues with belt slippage and shredding, which had to be repaired and also the current PCM was not reading the VIN correctly and therefore my anti-theft device was not properly operating...thanks Doug for bringing that to my attention and fixing it!

I picked up the car today at 104 degree weather and the car has never ever run this well...Hands down! It moves like its absolutely stock, idles nicely, no surging at each shift very smooth at gear change, I'm amazed how much more driveability was improved with the SD tune. Performance wise, part throttle driving feels so much more responsive, needless to say at WOT she just haulz azz. Coolant temps are down; not even seen anything north of 195* and I've yet to do Daniel's (Big Bollas) FMIC adjustments, oil temps are in the 200-210* range and IATs were 94-100* after repeated runs on the dyno....Doug and Al were at the shop til 10:30PM last night.

LAPD does not believe in the "Corvette Tax". Five bills for a SD tune is unheard of...oops, sorry Shawn. Did I forget to mentioned, they had my car fully detailed.

On a side note: My Mother recently had multiple strokes and is hospitalize at Northridge Hospital, last 2 weeks have been an ordeal to say the least...Doug has taken the time to send me daily updates via email with the progress of my car...and always sends his prayers! The entire LAPD crew and groupies have been very very supportive, my thanks goes out to them for caring and treating me beyond customer status!

Here's Doug doing his thing...
Old 08-23-2006, 05:16 AM
BLK-DVL
Pro

Awesome, glad it worked out for you. Also best wishes for your mother.

Wish I was closer to LA. I would be all over this. We are really week for LS2 tuning up here in Oregon. You have no idea how lucky you are.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:30 AM
Pakisho
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Told ya!

I couldnt believe the difference in my car post-tune. He is REALLY FRIGGING GOOD. And the hospitality, customer service and pricing that Shawn and Al at LAPD provide complements his abilities perfectly.

Im out of the country, returning tomorrow, and as soon as I get back, the car is going in for some serious upgrades.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

My Prayers go up for your Mother, You, and your family... As for the tune... i gotta find someone in Dallas to do speed density... BAD...
Jeremy
Old 08-23-2006, 11:21 AM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Glad to hear "Kit "is abck and better than ever!
Blessings to your Mom!
George
Old 08-23-2006, 03:55 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06

brabus2,

It was our pleasure to take care of you the way you deserve to be treated. We have had the privelege in knowing you for the last couple years and being the way you are makes us want to go the extra 100 miles for you!

It is nice to see you finally enjoying the car again. Have fun with it and our prayers are with you and your mother.

Your car is one mean looking beast!!!

Thanks again for the nice post!

Shawn
Old 08-23-2006, 09:54 PM
monstermouse
Instructor

Really happy for your new found power and wish the best for your mother. I thought about you today when visiting my mother in San Diego.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:37 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Thanks for the update, it sounds like they did an awesome job. And wish your Mom a speedy recovery.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BLK-DVL
Awesome, glad it worked out for you. Also best wishes for your mother.

Wish I was closer to LA. I would be all over this. We are really week for LS2 tuning up here in Oregon. You have no idea how lucky you are.
Thank you Sir....would luv to have you out here in So Cal even for a short weekend, I'm certain Doug can get it done and have you ready in time for madness Monday.

HP Tuner is such a great program, when you get a chance give Doug @ LAPD a call, he'll accomodate your needs or jump on HP Tuner forum, he goes by EC_Tune...and shares valuable info.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pakisho
Told ya!

I couldnt believe the difference in my car post-tune. He is REALLY FRIGGING GOOD. And the hospitality, customer service and pricing that Shawn and Al at LAPD provide complements his abilities perfectly.

Im out of the country, returning tomorrow, and as soon as I get back, the car is going in for some serious upgrades.
You sure did playa!!! Oz, thanks for spending the time assisting with my final decision, you certainly have had experiences with other well known tuners and your opinion/advice was of valuable asset.

Have a safe trip back to Kali, and hope to meet up again soon...probably at LAPD!
Old 08-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
My Prayers go up for your Mother, You, and your family... As for the tune... i gotta find someone in Dallas to do speed density... BAD...
Jeremy
BIG J...thanks for the kind words! As always, a pleasure talking to you and sharing feedback, we go back bro! When ever your ready to bring that MONSTER-RIDE of yours here and have Doug SD tune it, let me know cuz your car has a place in my garage!

What is this I'm reading...your ready for NOZZZZ.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Old 08-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Brabus!
Best wishes for your Mothers speedy recovery.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1bdasvt
Glad to hear "Kit "is abck and better than ever!
Blessings to your Mom!
George
Thanks for looking out buddy! Just sent you a message on your celly, hope your car is running better!

Last edited by Brabus2; 08-25-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:06 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LAPD are a great bunch of guys
Old 08-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by L.A.P.D.
brabus2,

It was our pleasure to take care of you the way you deserve to be treated. We have had the privelege in knowing you for the last couple years and being the way you are makes us want to go the extra 100 miles for you!

It is nice to see you finally enjoying the car again. Have fun with it and our prayers are with you and your mother.

Your car is one mean looking beast!!!

Thanks again for the nice post!

Shawn
A special thanks to you Shawn & Al, you guys have been most supportive during my time in need. It's a blessing to have true friends work on my car.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by monstermouse
Really happy for your new found power and wish the best for your mother. I thought about you today when visiting my mother in San Diego.
S,
Thanks for your support, I'm happy to hear you visited MOM. Always a pleasure chatting with you...take care of yourself!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C6 MoneyPit
Thanks for the update, it sounds like they did an awesome job. And wish your Mom a speedy recovery.
Adam...thank you! Nice meeting you again at the GTG, and seeing your expressions after the TT joyride, hope to cross paths at LAPD sometime while their doing your APS TT install...
Old 08-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Stage7
Congrats Brabus!
Best wishes for your Mothers speedy recovery.
Thank you Sir!

Get notified of new replies

To BIG PROPS to Doug@LAPD for the 2bar SD tune!

Quick Reply: BIG PROPS to Doug@LAPD for the 2bar SD tune!