C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk about c6(not a z06) suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:34 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
You are free to disagree however the facts are that in a car which was designed to roll a great deal in the corners a stiffer bar prevents excessive positive camber from occurring on the front tires in a turn. This effect is sometimes stronger than the extra weight transfer and the result is less understeer.
This discussion, or variants of it have shown up here before. Stiffen one end of the car and not the other, and the stiffer end will lose traction first.

In oversteer you have adhesion and traction with the front wheels but the rear wheels lose traction, in understeer there is adhesion/traction with the rear wheels, but the fronts lose traction and the tendancy is for the car to continue along a straight path. (push/plow)

Larger stiffer front bar and the front tires will lose traction first (push or understeer). Larger stiffer rear bar and the rears will lose traction first (loose/ rear wheel slide/ oversteer)

Originally Posted by shopdog
Other way round. A bigger front bar makes the rear loose. A bigger rear bar makes the front loose.
Its the exact opposite.

But to the original poster, I agree wholeheartedly with C6400hp. You put those Z06 rear swaybars on that car and your oversteer problem is going to get worse.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1445622

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...88&postcount=8

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1386185

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1256080

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1262446

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...5&postcount=25

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-25-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:11 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
I thought it was common knowledge that bigger front bars increase push/understeer, and bigger rear bars increase oversteer.
It's only common knowledge to people that have common sense.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:29 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Another good book is "How to make your car handle" by Fred Puhn. If you all read this book and Caroll Smith's book there will be no controversy.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:41 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski
Another good book is "How to make your car handle" by Fred Puhn. If you all read this book and Caroll Smith's book there will be no controversy.
If the book will resolve all of the controversy, then how about telling us what it says about this subject?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:45 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

You are free to disagree however the facts are that in a car which was designed to roll a great deal in the corners a stiffer bar prevents excessive positive camber from occurring on the front tires in a turn. This effect is sometimes stronger than the extra weight transfer and the result is less understeer.
First, I have no problem with people dissagreeing on forums. I think I was even wrong once....

But I have to agree with DSOM Z51 - I would be willing on betting that if someone takes an other wise stock C6 (non-Z06) and just adds a rear Z06 bar, they will find their car oversteers more. I am not willing on going that route as I don't plan to spend enough track time learning to deal with it.

Like most owners, I drive my car on the street and the oversteer usually only comes into play when you get into a turn too hot - and it's too late to deal with if you don't have a lot of practice learning to handle it properly.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:24 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jschindler
If the book will resolve all of the controversy, then how about telling us what it says about this subject?

Thanks!
A stiffer bar in the rear will increase the tendancy to oversteer.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:28 AM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My personal experience on a C6 Z51 with Z06 shocks on it already:

I installed the Z06 stiffer front spring only. I drove it around for about a week. I noticed the front end push a little bit more when taking on-off ramps hard. The car had less of a neutral feeling than before, although it did not feel that bad, IMO

I then installed the Z06 stiffer rear sway bar and then the cars balance became more neutral feeling again.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:36 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski
A stiffer bar in the rear will increase the tendancy to oversteer.
Muchos Nachos
Old 08-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not true. Most cars decrease camber as the wheel rises in the suspension. "Equal length" control arms are designed to help maintain camber. In other words, typically the more the car rolls, the more negative camber the outside tire makes and the less negative camber the inside tire makes. Typically these are the ideal. I say typically because there will become a point that you get too much negative camber. Not to mention the braking and accellerative forces would prefer no camber. Perhaps you were confusing more negative camber for postitve camber?
Old 08-26-2006, 10:19 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
You seem to be alone in your thinking. I've been reading about suspensions as long as you have, and everything I have ever read contradicts your stance.
Ok, so the consensus seems to be that a stiffer front bar will cause more understeer, slowing me in the corners, and a stiffer rear bar will cause more oversteer, also slowing me in the corners. So logically, I want to remove the Z51 bars from my car. That should, according to the theories of you guys, make the car faster around the corners. Wonder why Chevy didn't think of that? Oh, wait, they did, the base suspension car is obviously the fastest around the track. I should have known.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:03 PM
reddevl
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com

From the video, if you can't follow the line out of there, I can only imagine what it's like in the esses.
first two runs i have been heating up the tires and the last one i was going at it as hard as i could. i am taking several driving school courses here in michigan itself.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:11 PM
reddevl
Pro

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
This discussion, or variants of it have shown up here before. Stiffen one end of the car and not the other, and the stiffer end will lose traction first.

In oversteer you have adhesion and traction with the frontwheels but the rear wheels lose traction, in understeer there is adhesion/traction with the rear wheels, but the fronts lose traction and the tendancy is for the car to continue along a straight path. (push/plow)

Larger stiffer front bar and the front tires will lose traction first (push or understeer). Larger stiffer rear bar and the rears will lose traction first (loose/ rear wheel slide/ oversteer)

Its the exact opposite.

But to the original poster, I agree wholeheartedly with C6400hp. You put those Z06 rear swaybars on that car and your oversteer problem is going to get worse.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1445622
Thanks a lot for this post.

I am not looking to get rid of the oversteer guys, i am looking to get rid of the suprising oversteer and would like a more of controlled oversteer. From reading the url which i underlined it explains that z06 bars and tire pressure change will help u control that suprise oversteer. i would like to stay flat through the corner but i would also like to put the power down through the corner not just speed up-hit the brakes-turn in-cruise through the corner.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:23 PM
joela
Instructor

Ok, so the consensus seems to be that a stiffer front bar will cause more understeer, slowing me in the corners, and a stiffer rear bar will cause more oversteer, also slowing me in the corners. So logically, I want to remove the Z51 bars from my car. That should, according to the theories of you guys, make the car faster around the corners. Wonder why Chevy didn't think of that? Oh, wait, they did, the base suspension car is obviously the fastest around the track. I should have known.
just like i had stated on post # 45, chopdog will NEVER admit he is wrong. now it looks like he still is having a hard time learning from others too. hmmm...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1431370&page=3
Old 08-26-2006, 12:23 PM
midnite902
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 300cawd

I am not looking to get rid of the oversteer guys, i am looking to get rid of the suprising oversteer and would like a more of controlled oversteer. From reading the url which i underlined it explains that z06 bars and tire pressure change will help u control that suprise oversteer. i would like to stay flat through the corner but i would also like to put the power down through the corner not just speed up-hit the brakes-turn in-cruise through the corner.
I have Konis on my car and the Koni Website has instructions on shock tuning to change under and oversteer conditions.

Great info in this post.

Between sways and adjustable shocks you should be able to tune your handling.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:42 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO find someone that really knows how to set the suspension up. GM's setup is at best a compromise. Different track and road conditions will want different settings.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

You know I already explained the balance to you earlier in this post:
Originally Posted by Blocktrdr
All this is wrong. First, in the C5 where the cars had the same suspension geometry, the Z06 had a different front bar. The rears were the same. This helped counter the oversteer that would come from the extra HP. Also, the sway bars have to fit in with the rest of the suspension. When they stiffen the springs and shocks they stiffen the sway bars to match.

If a car is turning right the body rolls left. The spring compresses. The sway bar wants to follow it up. On the right side the suspension extends. The sway bar tries to counter this and transfers load away from the tire, not to it. All else being equal, the no sway bar would offer the most grip. The problem is that at a certain point the car rolls enough that the center of gravity raises. The other issue is that the further the car rolls the longer it takes so transient response suffers.

Thus sway bars should be at the happy medium wher the car generates the most grip while losing the least CG and maintaining the best transient response
but it's as if you don't want to get it so I will try once more. Increasing the front bar will take grip from the inside front tire and give it to inside rear. Increasing the rear bar will take grip from the inside rear and give it to the inside front. How do you take thes two and suddenly turn it into changing both bars? We are talking about changing the balance of the car, not overall grip.

Last edited by Blocktrdr; 08-26-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:30 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlamberti
just like i had stated on post # 45, chopdog will NEVER admit he is wrong. now it looks like he still is having a hard time learning from others too. hmmm...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1431370&page=3

No, the sun sets in the East, I swear, there is nothing you can say or do, there are no books, logic, common sense, or years and years of experience that will ever convince me otherwise. So, please just let me be!

Thanks,
Shopdot

Get notified of new replies

To Lets talk about c6(not a z06) suspension

Old 08-26-2006, 04:11 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

You are really adding some humor here. It's not about "slowing" you in corners at one end or the other. It's about balancing the suspension.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:41 PM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 300cawd

The type of snap oversteer you are experiencing is very probably from stabbing the accelerator rather than smooth throttle application. If too much throttle is breaking the rear tires loose you'll certainly experience oversteer.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:42 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think I have ever witnessed anyone on this board so unwilling to admit that they are flat out wrong.

Save yourself some dignity man. Just this once admit that you don't know everything and quit with this facade of being the resident genius.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about c6(not a z06) suspension