C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header touching car frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:14 PM
hymnatr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header touching car frame

I just installed american racing long tubes on sunday. When I went to drive it on Monday I started hearing a weird noise, like something hitting then it turned to a metal on metal sound. It turns out that the passanger side header is rubbing on the frame of the car. Has anyone else had this problem and if you did, what did you do to fix it.

Brian
Old 09-05-2006, 08:29 PM
mfinocc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll let you know when mine come in and I install them. That's a bummer. Did you contact AR about the problem? What did they say?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:21 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would contact the manufacturer. First, they'll need to know they have a problem. Second, they will most likely exchange them for some that clear. If worse comes to worse, you could always dimple the header tubing. That would be better than grinding and weakening the frame.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:56 AM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The place it hits is the lip where the skid plate meets the engine compartment passenger side sheet metal. It can be trimmed with no impact to the integrity of the car frame.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks... Maybe you should just get a bigger hood! At least its a good excuse to get one.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:47 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by achilds
The place it hits is the lip where the skid plate meets the engine compartment passenger side sheet metal. It can be trimmed with no impact to the integrity of the car frame.
I had the same problem - just bent the sheet metal down a little with a pry bar and problem solved.

Get notified of new replies

To header touching car frame

Quick Reply: header touching car frame