C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:48 PM
nicosuave
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint Issues

Has anyone had their rear windshield tinted??

I'm trying to get my windows and rear windshield tinted on my 05 C6.
I haven't had it done yet, but the rear windshield presents a big problem with the dot matrix extending so far down the glass. The pro's at the tint shops say there are three options...

a)two peice it like the chevy dealer tint jobs do; black out the dot matrix area then tint the rest with one peice. In my opinion this looks like crap, and I've read on these forums somewhere that someone had their rear windshield done one peice.

b)one peice it, but I'm warned there will be a potentially ugly silver coloration due to lack of adhesion to the glass caused by the dots...No thank you!

c)one peice it after sanding or razor blading the dot matrix away. THIS IS WHERE I HAVE ISSUES. It sounds great, but taking the dots off is a shady proposition. You would only want to remove the dots starting where the defrost wires end to avoid cutting them. But even if you remove the dots from the wires on up, yes you get most of them, but there are still dots all the way around the rear windshield. WTF am i supposed to do about these damn dots? I've seen tint applied over dots like this and it looks absolutely terrible. Obviously a primary issue is how to remove the dots also, do you use fine grain sandpaper and water or a razor blade or a chemical solvent or what? This tint shop says they will do it with fine grain sand paper and water, but won't that scratch the glass??

This car is too nice and too expensive to gamble on little stuff like this. What have other people done, and what is the best way to tint out my c6? HELP!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:53 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 piece it. i have had it done before and no problems. all you need is a competent installer and good film.

they are making it to be bigger than it is. hundreds have had theirs tinted w/o problems

take it to a shop where they have done plenty of vettes and are comfortable
Old 09-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Italian C6
Pro

Search my threads and it will tell you how to get it right.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-17-2006, 06:03 PM
nicosuave
Instructor

so your saying to tint it one piece and not worry about the dots...ok, i trust you because your vette's tint looks good. What % grade did you get? I've been thinking about 20% or limo tint 5%. Legallity isn't an issue because I'll be living in CA with out-of-state plates.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Italian C6
Pro

Originally Posted by nicosuave
so your saying to tint it one piece and not worry about the dots...ok, i trust you because your vette's tint looks good. What % grade did you get? I've been thinking about 20% or limo tint 5%. Legallity isn't an issue because I'll be living in CA with out-of-state plates.

Thanks!
I have 5% Visor - 5% sides and rear window. It is one piece. Did you find my thread about window tinting over the dots. You need to read it. My back glass is perfect. I had my tinter that worked for me do it - he has been doing tint for over 30 years.

Here it is -

Originally Posted by Italian-
Its real easy to get the tint to lay down. When they are getting ready to put the tint on. Have them take a clear glue stick (like the one your kids use) rub it over the black dots and lay the tint over the back glass. It can be done with just one piece of tint for the entire back glass. When they heat the glass with a heat gun from the outside the tint will suck up to the dots. I use to own a tint shop and we did a ton of vettes and my BMW M3 had it-no probs at all. My Vette will be getting built tomorrow. When it shows up it will be getting 5 %. I am not worried about the back window, my tint guy has been tinting 30 years.

Last edited by Italian C6; 09-17-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 PM
nicosuave
Instructor

Cool, thanks Italian. I will print this out and take it to the tint man. Hopefully he knows how to do this...It's hard to find tinters around here for some reason (north myrtle beach)

"visor 5%" did you get your windshield tinted??
Old 09-17-2006, 06:33 PM
nicosuave
Instructor

has anyone gotten their windshield tinted and willing to talk about it?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:01 PM
nicosuave
Instructor

Italian, who is your tint man?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

I've read that the glue stick is the way to go.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:04 PM
06C6Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nicosuave
has anyone gotten their windshield tinted and willing to talk about it?
This is a nono. You wouldn't be able to see at night. its hard enough to see out the sides.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:43 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

There shouldn't be a problem if they know their stuff you will not notice and should be happy with job. The only problem I have run into is since I got rear window tinted whenever I remove targa top my rearview mirror goes blank like a mirror and I can't see anything in the rear.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:14 AM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I got my rear done in one piece, but upon closer inspection, looks like it's 2 pieces. 1 piece covering the dot matrix+the top 3 rows of defroster. 2nd piece covering everything below the top 3rd row. This 2nd piece still has a cut on either side with maybe 1/4" overlap. I guess the curvature was too much for this tint shop to handle. Can't tell from the outside, but you can see the overlap on the edge of the sides on the inside.

As far as dot matrix goes, tint shop gave me 2 options. Use black vinyl or just tint over it with some hazing look. I did not like the vinyl option since it would stand out from my 28% tint to give it a strange look. So the dot matrix are tinted without anything done to it, but I have been trying to rub it down after few days. It's been 2 weeks now and you can see some hazy look on the top 2~3" of dot matrix, while the rest of the dot matrix are perfect. Seems like the top most dot matrix are too close apart, so it can't seem to stick perfectly. The haze look is not as bad as I was expecting. I think it's better than having a black vinyl area. If you are going very dark, then I guess the black vinyl would make sense.

Or try to clear glue stick method, that's what I've read on some tinting forum. I am ok with the little haze since I have no idea if glue stick can stand up to the heat over the years. I am just disappointed my rear was done in 2 pieces, I thought it was 1 piece with the sides sliced for slight overlap...
Old 09-18-2006, 05:15 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

tint the FRONT WINDSHIELD!!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 05:52 AM
Italian C6
Pro

Originally Posted by D. Togo
tint the FRONT WINDSHIELD!!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6500
I thought I got my rear done in one piece, but upon closer inspection, looks like it's 2 pieces. 1 piece covering the dot matrix+the top 3 rows of defroster. 2nd piece covering everything below the top 3rd row. This 2nd piece still has a cut on either side with maybe 1/4" overlap. I guess the curvature was too much for this tint shop to handle. Can't tell from the outside, but you can see the overlap on the edge of the sides on the inside.

As far as dot matrix goes, tint shop gave me 2 options. Use black vinyl or just tint over it with some hazing look. I did not like the vinyl option since it would stand out from my 28% tint to give it a strange look. So the dot matrix are tinted without anything done to it, but I have been trying to rub it down after few days. It's been 2 weeks now and you can see some hazy look on the top 2~3" of dot matrix, while the rest of the dot matrix are perfect. Seems like the top most dot matrix are too close apart, so it can't seem to stick perfectly. The haze look is not as bad as I was expecting. I think it's better than having a black vinyl area. If you are going very dark, then I guess the black vinyl would make sense.

Or try to clear glue stick method, that's what I've read on some tinting forum. I am ok with the little haze since I have no idea if glue stick can stand up to the heat over the years. I am just disappointed my rear was done in 2 pieces, I thought it was 1 piece with the sides sliced for slight overlap...
Don't know of any issues here looks great. Tint is 100% black limo tint you cannot see a thing looking from outside with eyes to glass. Looks excellent.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good stuff! I'm, planning on tinting mine fairly soon so I appreciate the tips regarding the back window. I'll check with the installers beforehand to see what they suggest (now that I have a little expert information to work with). Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Window Tint Issues

Quick Reply: Window Tint Issues