C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock to Z51 upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Drumhawk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock to Z51 upgrade?

I'm looking at the Z51 rotors, shocks and sway bar brand new for my stock C6 coupe, are these mods worth it and what would you pay and what other upgrades does the Z51 have besides gearing?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:21 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Drumhawk
I'm looking at the Z51 rotors, shocks and sway bar brand new for my stock C6 coupe, are these mods worth it and what would you pay and what other upgrades does the Z51 have besides gearing?
It also has stiffer springs and auxilary coolers for the engine, transmission and power steering and slightly stickier tires.
I would sooner go with the better aftermarket suspension components (Koni/Bilstein or maybe even coilovers, Hotchkiss, Brembo etc.) available before using the (proven, but not quite as razor sharp) OEM Z51 stuff if upgrading already.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:15 AM
Drumhawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
It also has stiffer springs and auxilary coolers for the engine, transmission and power steering and slightly stickier tires.
I would sooner go with the better aftermarket suspension components (Koni/Bilstein or maybe even coilovers, Hotchkiss, Brembo etc.) available before using the (proven, but not quite as razor sharp) OEM Z51 stuff if upgrading already.
Good point, I had the Bilstein's on my firehawk, I can get the C6 Z51 oem rotors, shocks and sway bar new for under 700 so I'm looking at bang for the buck but I'll checkout the aftermarket stuff before I commit, thanks.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:46 PM
ZBoater
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the Z51 rotors also get rusty like the stock ones. If you are buying new rotors, might as well try something different (zinc plated). I got mine from Rotorpros.com, $250 shipped. They were zinc plated and painted (hubs). Had them on my 350Z for two years, and so far on the Vette, so good. Here is a link to my thread where I posted some pics.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Drumhawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZBoater
I understand the Z51 rotors also get rusty like the stock ones. If you are buying new rotors, might as well try something different (zinc plated). I got mine from Rotorpros.com, $250 shipped. They were zinc plated and painted (hubs). Had them on my 350Z for two years, and so far on the Vette, so good. Here is a link to my thread where I posted some pics.

I thought the Z51 rotors would be zinc coated, I heard even zinc coated rotors will rust too but takes longer, thanks for the link.

Get notified of new replies

To stock to Z51 upgrade?

Quick Reply: stock to Z51 upgrade?