C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 front brake duct install with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:08 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice mod...
Old 01-14-2007, 01:05 AM
UberR32
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Fred Beans sent me two sets of ducts, and after I fessed up to them, they promised to have UPS come pick it up about a month ago. I'll probably just offer them up to some forum guys for th ecost of shipping if I don't hear back from the dude at FB.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:59 PM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This sounds like the best fix, before any new track pads/ss lines/etc go on my car. Next to do on my list. THANKS GUYS!

Oh, one more question, do the $25 Napa solid rotors fit right onto the Z51? or is a bracket necessary?

Besides the Royal Purple Synchromax, I think I should be ready this season for track days.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:14 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 986_C6

Oh, one more question, do the $25 Napa solid rotors fit right onto the Z51? or is a bracket necessary?

Need brackets.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice ...
Old 01-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by timd38
Need brackets.
Yep. Got mine (front and rear) from Gene Culley. About $35 ea IIRc.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:22 PM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Yep. Got mine (front and rear) from Gene Culley. About $35 ea IIRc.

Thanks timd38 and joe_g.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:06 AM
checkmate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UberR32
FWIW, I was running 2:16 laps at TWS this weekend, and I experienced absolutely zero fade. This was the first time that I've tried out track pads, the Carbotech XP-12/10, and I had the Napa rotors with the Z06 brake ducts and OEM runcraps.

My instructor also said that I was braking like an autocrosser (I do 10 auto-x for each HPDE), and that in a race I would kill my brakes.

I did not install a cooling line from the duct to the hub, and I probably won't now that I know how well this setup worked.

Can you drive to the track with those pads on?
Or are all you guys trailering your cars.

Thanks,
Old 01-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by checkmate
Can you drive to the track with those pads on?
Or are all you guys trailering your cars.

Thanks,
I drive to the tracks. I think it depends on the pads you use. I use Hawk HT-10's and they actually stop better than my ceramics even when cold. I'd use them all the time except they dust and squeal like crazy.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:51 AM
JiminFL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine yesterday. Thanks Gene!!

I'll be doing the duct install this weekend, and for now I'm not planning to do hose or spindles, but I may look into fashioning some sort of heat shield to protect the close proximity suspension. I'll also be doing a pad change for my next track day, so between cooling and better pads, and being at Roebling instead of Sebring, I look forward to a WAY firmer pedal as the sessions progress.

I'd love the part #s for the caliper brackets so I can pick up some el-cheapo NAPA rotors. Now that the temps will be up I'm all the more wary of the OEM Z51 rotors.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 01-17-2007, 10:47 AM
2HD's2vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I drive to the tracks. I think it depends on the pads you use. I use Hawk HT-10's and they actually stop better than my ceramics even when cold. I'd use them all the time except they dust and squeal like crazy.
Joe, Thanks for the input on this reasonable mod. I was looking at the inlet hole a while back, and thinking at the time it would be pretty simple to increse the cooling potential of the design, but with what? This is the ticket! When are you hitting the track next? It seems that Sebring is quite a way off from the schedule I resently saw posted at SAFE.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 2HD's2vettes
Joe, Thanks for the input on this reasonable mod. I was looking at the inlet hole a while back, and thinking at the time it would be pretty simple to increse the cooling potential of the design, but with what? This is the ticket! When are you hitting the track next? It seems that Sebring is quite a way off from the schedule I resently saw posted at SAFE.
I'm very happy with this cheap easy mod too!

Safe has an event at Moroso this Saturday, but I'm running in the Corvette Challenge drag race that night, and the double headers are a little much! I'm eager to see what Moroso's new track will look like (I don't love the existing road course), they are redoing the drag strip and the road course this summer so it should be exciting.

Phil said he'd be adding some events, I hope he adds a Homestead event soon. I like Homestead's track quite a bit, great facility.

Last edited by Joe_G; 01-17-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:01 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

[QUOTE=Joe_G;1558042219]While installing my HID foglights I installed my C6 Z06 brake ducts. They attach to the factory holes under the bumper and get the air behind the tire so you can mount a brake duct hose to direct air to the backside of the rotor where it can do some good. These are the best deal in town for you guys that track your cars! Thanks to user M_Minnick for the idea, more information in this post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...php?t=1514267:

The part#'s are:
15829066 - RH
15829067 - LH
The best part is the price - $5.60 each! What a bargain.

Can you share where you bought them for $5.60? I've check a few forum sponsors and they will not sell them for that.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Can you share where you bought them for $5.60? I've check a few forum sponsors and they will not sell them for that.
Gene Culley. See post 20 above. Price might have gone up a little with the new year or something.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:12 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
I'm wondering that with the Z06 ducts on a Z06 they are better lined up with the rotor and do not need duct hose, does anyone know this answer? If I remember correctly, the Z06 clearance to the ground is one inch lower than the basic C6 which would affect the alignment of the duct to rotor. Is that fender shroud different from the basic C6, maybe it would align better than the cut modification? I would appreciate any feedback from Z06' owners, can't normally find any Z06's on display at dealers, I have only seen one in the last year on the dealer floor. If course, when I need one I can't find one.
I'm asking the question above again, does anybody know, it doesn't have to be a Z06 owner? Thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:10 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering that with the Z06 ducts on a Z06 they are better lined up with the rotor and do not need duct hose, does anyone know this answer?
I do not run the extension hose to the rotor, only the Z06 ducts and I have no fade using PFC 01 pads/Motul RBF 600 on race tires in Texas heat. It really depends alot on the driver and track so YMMV.

If I remember correctly, the Z06 clearance to the ground is one inch lower than the basic C6 which would affect the alignment of the duct to rotor.

Does not matter since on the C6 you are basically doing a custom install and you need to drill a hole to mount the duct where YOU WANT IT. FWIW The reason thr Z06 is shown as being lower is because of the 1" front lip spoiler.

Is that fender shroud different from the basic C6, maybe it would align better than the cut modification?

The Z06 inner fender liner is different than the C6 due to the wider fenders, you will have to cut and trim either way. For me it made more sense to cut where most people wont ever see. If you do screw up, a new inner fender liner for the C6 is pretty cheap >$30 IIRC.

Last edited by C6400hp; 01-18-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:06 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I'm asking the question above again, does anybody know, it doesn't have to be a Z06 owner? Thanks.
In addition to what C6400hp said, the point of the hose is to put the cool air directly to the inside of the rotor where the spinning of the rotor fan will draw it out and thus cool the rotor. The closer you get to the center of the rotor (exact center is impossible) the better it is. 1 inch won't make a difference either way a hose is better than no hose but there are downsides to the hose and as stated above you might not need it depending on your driving style.

I think the reason the factory doesn't put a hose on the Zo6 is:

1. They sometimes rub at full lock if not perfectly aligned which will causes "Corvette Waxer types" untold visits to the dealer to cure the sound.

2. the hoses wear out relatively quickly in the tough life of the wheel well (mine did on my C5 and I notice most racers' look crappy soon) and that would certainly look bad to the same owners.

3. The Z06 has something that helps a lot even without the hose - "Gurney Lips" on the front of the fenders. Check it out, those little "mud flaps" on the front side of the fender apparently cause a low pressure area behind them that helps the air come out from behind the wheel and cool the rotors. A few of my hard driving C5 buddies have put these gurney lips on their C5's and it was a great help, their rotors lasted twice as long.

Tom might chime in and explain the Gurney lips better than I am. They are an old trick that apparently works well.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 front brake duct install with Pics

Old 01-20-2007, 06:18 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

To C6400hp and Joe G: Thanks for all your info on the ducting and gurney lips. I installed the new z06 ducts on my c6 06 a6. I had to trim the fender liner to approximately 4 3/4" (slighter larger than the old factory c6 duct (4 1/4") I removed. My biggest problem was the output nozzel on the new z06 duct was approximately 1' away from the frame to mount it with screw bolt. Therefore, I had to cut to resulting 4 3/4 ' hole so that I could push the duct to the frame, also a part of the frame pushed down on the neck of the z06 duct. The overall result was that the output z06 nozzle aligned up on rotor inside surface straight on and the imput side of the z06 imput lip fit all but 5/16" over the bumper input cone nozze, resulting in no open gap. If you will make a template of approximately 4 3/4" in diameter this will simplify things quickly, place it on on the existing fender liner hole toward the frame and down toward the ground and cut these two sides only. Another words cut on the downward and inside areas only. This will still put pressure on the new duct because of the angle it travels to the frame. My second duct really went like a breeze, after the leaning curve on the first. I did not worry about the leaking around the duct going ito the fender, with the factory duct which rotates in and is pretty well sealed from tire splash. Trapped around the duct inlet area underneath the bumper was alot of dirt, so sealing would not help much. Again guys, thanks for your info and help. While at the dealer, I looked at the 07 c6 and z51's, they are now cutting off the small nozzel on the duct and is slmost flush with the wheel liner and having the total diameter open. This goes against all the hype about tuning the duct to have mimimum downward lift. They have talked about this in magazines articles, shown in wind tunnel tests on TV and brought up on show on Nurburgring test track testing. I guess they assume we won't be driving at the speeds BG is testing at. What are these guys at Bownling Green thinking about, a very short memory, note the small nozzel on the ducts we are installing. Have happy cruising, racing, and dragging.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 01-20-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:24 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

[QUOTE=VET4LES;1558554895]

They were $11.00prox from my local dealer each, but no freight, so I bought them.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:42 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

[QUOTE=timd38;1558602726]
Originally Posted by VET4LES

They were $11.00prox from my local dealer each, but no freight, so I bought them.
I showed the parts man at the dealer the article with the parts #'s and price and he honored it. Mine cost $12.01 with tax, , $5.60 each before tax.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 front brake duct install with Pics