C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 front brake duct install with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Another member had a great idea for a hose adaptor

He used a rubber plumbing adaptor from the hardware store. Great idea, I'm sure they make a Fernco adaptor that will give us the strength we need for hoses!

Here's his post and pic:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1558607595

Fernco. The handy LSx mod item - remember them from the F-body?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:17 AM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

So, do you pick a random spot to drill the hole for the new ducts? Is there a particular spot? What type of fastener, metal screw is being used?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I drilled a hole where the duct hit the frame more or less see pic for exact location I used.

I just used some screws I had laying around. I think they are stainless or zinc coated..
Old 01-21-2007, 11:53 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlK
So, do you pick a random spot to drill the hole for the new ducts? Is there a particular spot? What type of fastener, metal screw is being used?
I had my car on jackstands and then used a hydraulic jack to load the suspension, placed the duct where it looked like it would achieve ideal flow without being crushed by the upper A arms when the suspension was unloaded. It is pretty straight forward once you have the duct in your hand and the wheels off. I used a stainless sheetmetal screw in the frame after drilling a smaller pilot hole. I dabbed some silicone sealant on the threads of the screw before putting it into the frame, this should help seal everything up and prevent any corrosion.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the pics and info Joe. Since my tires rubbed holes in my DRM ducts, this looks like a breeze and the smaller ducting will fit my spindle ducts better too. Do you think the holes from the DRM ducts in the liner will work for these new ducts?

Looks like my car will be ready in the near future for some fun. I'll keep you posted.

This is where I get my ducting from.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/ducting.html

Last edited by Dr Chill; 01-22-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Thanks for the pics and info Joe. Since my tires rubbed holes in my DRM ducts, this looks like a breeze and the smaller ducting will fit my spindle ducts better too. Do you think the holes from the DRM ducts in the liner will work for these new ducts?

Looks like my car will be ready in the near future for some fun. I'll keep you posted.

Hey Bill,

I would think the holes would work - if not the fender liner cuts like butter with a blade knife as you know. These ducts are a little different in that they meet with a duct under the bumper fs. straight ahead on the C5 but again, I think you can adapt something and for $11 if you screw them up who cares, try again! The hose mount is weak compared to DRM, the plastic is thin there. So you'll have to ge some sort of Fernco adapter to reinforce it like I posted a link to above. If I do it I'll let you know what I end up using but I'm not in a hurry, I don't have any track events planned until May at Sebring.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:41 AM
0Doug@MorosoPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake ducts

Joe thanks for the email.

Doug
Old 01-25-2007, 06:20 PM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
To C6400hp and Joe G: Thanks for all your info on the ducting and gurney lips. I installed the new z06 ducts on my c6 06 a6. I had to trim the fender liner to approximately 4 3/4" (slighter larger than the old factory c6 duct (4 1/4") I removed. My biggest problem was the output nozzel on the new z06 duct was approximately 1' away from the frame to mount it with screw bolt. Therefore, I had to cut to resulting 4 3/4 ' hole so that I could push the duct to the frame, also a part of the frame pushed down on the neck of the z06 duct. The overall result was that the output z06 nozzle aligned up on rotor inside surface straight on and the imput side of the z06 imput lip fit all but 5/16" over the bumper input cone nozze, resulting in no open gap. If you will make a template of approximately 4 3/4" in diameter this will simplify things quickly, place it on on the existing fender liner hole toward the frame and down toward the ground and cut these two sides only. Another words cut on the downward and inside areas only. This will still put pressure on the new duct because of the angle it travels to the frame. My second duct really went like a breeze, after the leaning curve on the first. I did not worry about the leaking around the duct going ito the fender, with the factory duct which rotates in and is pretty well sealed from tire splash. Trapped around the duct inlet area underneath the bumper was alot of dirt, so sealing would not help much. Again guys, thanks for your info and help. While at the dealer, I looked at the 07 c6 and z51's, they are now cutting off the small nozzel on the duct and is slmost flush with the wheel liner and having the total diameter open. This goes against all the hype about tuning the duct to have mimimum downward lift. They have talked about this in magazines articles, shown in wind tunnel tests on TV and brought up on show on Nurburgring test track testing. I guess they assume we won't be driving at the speeds BG is testing at. What are these guys at Bownling Green thinking about, a very short memory, note the small nozzel on the ducts we are installing. Have happy cruising, racing, and dragging.
I have an 07 z51 so how will this effect me?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Dr Chill

Hey Bill,

Here's a thread on putting these on the C5 in case you missed it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...06+brake+ducts
Old 01-27-2007, 03:27 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by c6speedjon
I have an 07 z51 so how will this effect me?
At the speeds that you will probably be driving, I am assuming that you will be driving way, way under 186 mph, you will probably not have a problem, never know with head winds, etc. I would think that the Z06 which is approximately 50lb lighter than a basic C6 and uses a 2 1/2 inch duct nozzle opening this size would also be a very close size (2 1/2") for the basic c6 except for the weight difference of the two cars, in fact because the basic C6 is slighty heavier, the hole could be minutely larger. I am assuming that the dynamics of the C6's is still the same from year to year and GM has not made a slight alteration that is not obvious to the eye. I would love to see test results of the new basic setup on the 07's, but I don't think GM will be doing this for us. It seems that GM is going back to the original opening size of the Z06 before they changed it at Nurenburgring Track test runs, they had handling problems there, before downsizing to 2 1/2". If course this didn't help brake cooling or fading, but it helped handling, can't have both without further modifications which other racers are doing. That's another area for the handling experts, the average guy is not into this and usually does not have the space to run all out unless he want tickets etc.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:25 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Hi All!

So this thread must be where all of those duct orders are coming from huh? Thanks for the business guys!

Gene.
Say Gene, please tell us where we can find you. Thanks! Can't order unless we can find you.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Dvlray6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Gene Culley - www.gmpartshouse.com
Old 01-27-2007, 05:46 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by checkmate
Can you drive to the track with those pads on?
I drive to the track with PFC 01s on the car, lots of dust, but no issues even when cold.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:53 PM
holeshot115
Intermediate

Joe, or anyone that can help:

I cannot seem to get the Z06 Duct to line up with the lower vent opening. I've cut the panel to fit the duct, but it seems to hang up on the upper edge...

Any help!
Old 02-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by holeshot115
Joe, or anyone that can help:

I cannot seem to get the Z06 Duct to line up with the lower vent opening. I've cut the panel to fit the duct, but it seems to hang up on the upper edge...

Any help!
If you are talking about the Z06 hose matching up perfectly to the duct under the bumper, mine's not perfect either. Close but not 100%. Someone posted that they cut some more out of the bottom of the inner fender and they got it to line up but I didn't worry about it.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:00 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

yeah keep cutting. passenger side lower panel has a hole driller in it thta lines up the duct i put a christmas tree fastner in it to hold and it lined up perfectly. made that side fit then did the same on drivers side. oh and it does work with the inte4rcooler. even whne u flip it to the passenger side!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 06:12 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by schilitj
I think my intercooler will get in the way
Looks like the ground gets in the way once in a while also.

BJK

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 front brake duct install with Pics

Old 02-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Lexicon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I did this to my C6 over the weekend.

The first one is 1/4 inch off so I use some aluinum tape to cover the gap.

There are tabs where the original duct goes in. I made the cuts using a utility knife. If you cut down and a littly I/B, you can get the Z06 duct to go over the existing plastic part in the fender. There are no gaps or tape.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a z51 07 Vette. I didn't have any fender liner or lower trim, so I ordered it before I ordered the ducts. It was around 200$ CAN for all 6 pieces of plastic.

I couldn't get the duct to fit like the OP has in his pic. I had to trim plastic on the fender liner to lower the hole, also make it bigger towards the inside of the car. I should have taken pics. Next time I take the front wheels off, I'll take pics and post. I also used one rivet to hold the front part of the duct on the bottom trim piece.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
I have a z51 07 Vette. I didn't have any fender liner or lower trim, so I ordered it before I ordered the ducts. It was around 200$ CAN for all 6 pieces of plastic.

I couldn't get the duct to fit like the OP has in his pic. I had to trim plastic on the fender liner to lower the hole, also make it bigger towards the inside of the car. I should have taken pics. Next time I take the front wheels off, I'll take pics and post. I also used one rivet to hold the front part of the duct on the bottom trim piece.
Exactly like yours, I think we both did it so the duct would rest without strain and it sits relaxed. At least that was my intention and cut a little at a time to get it to sit and the mounting flange flat on the frame rail without strain. I then used a stainless screw with nut and large aluminum washers to spread the load between the mating lower duct and the bottom trim. Drill and taped the mounting hole on the frame rail, treated with rust preventive and mounted with 10-24 cres button head screw with large aluminum washers. I then finish off with template the gap between the ducts and wheel well liner, cut spare black rubber fender liner in accordance with template, then mounted the templated rubber liner above the ducts with three push pins after drilling the pilot holes to get the desired look. If one is to look, the added on rubber liner along with the push pins looks stock and IMO, not offensive!

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 front brake duct install with Pics