C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about MN6 transmission fluid capacity - conflicting specs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 PM
BlueSpeed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? about MN6 transmission fluid capacity - conflicting specs.

i've searched and found that the fluid capacity for a manual Z51 transmission is 4.1 qts however, all previous posts state that the manual transmission only takes 3 1/4 - 3 1/2 qts to refill even when 4 qts drained out, does the factory "overfill" the transmission, how much should I put back in?

I've noticed the same thing with the differential - about 2 1/4 qts drained out of mine even though GM states that the capacity is exactly 2qts?

???
Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In both cases you should refill untill fluid starts to run out of the refill hole. This of course presumes the car is completely level.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:59 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Capacity is just ovet 4qts, but not all of it will drain out, so you will only need about 3.5qts to fill it back up.

As for your diff, was the car level when you filled it? Mine took less than 2qts to refill.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:33 PM
BlueSpeed
Pro

Originally Posted by mlongo99
Capacity is just ovet 4qts, but not all of it will drain out, so you will only need about 3.5qts to fill it back up.

As for your diff, was the car level when you filled it? Mine took less than 2qts to refill.

my concern was how could approx 2 1/4 qts drain out if the capacity of the differential is 2 qts? I wanted to put the same amount back in that drained out. Am I going to run into the same situation with the manual transmission?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably know this but in case you have Z51 option, there is a trans. cooler and that will take more volume at the fluid change than non Z51. After you fill the trans., it should be run and then rechecked because the trans. cooler lines might have air in them from the draining.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:12 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

It's a strange situation, so I don't know if you'll see it again. I guess it could have been over filled. Either that, or you didn't measure accurately. The important thing would be that it gets filled up to the fill hole, while level. How much did it take to fill the diff back up?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 PM
BlueSpeed
Pro

Originally Posted by mlongo99
It's a strange situation, so I don't know if you'll see it again. I guess it could have been over filled. Either that, or you didn't measure accurately. The important thing would be that it gets filled up to the fill hole, while level. How much did it take to fill the diff back up?
I used a measuring cup so I think I was pretty close to getting an accurate measure, approx 2 1/8 qts drained out of the differential, I put that much bacl in but I lowered the front of the car a bit to put in that last 1/8 qt. as it started dripping out.

After reading some of the prior posts, I am wondering if I am going to encounter the same situation with the manual transmission?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:25 AM
eurostyle
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Another question I have is what's happen if you change brand. Is the new oil going to be compatible with the OEM oil left in the tranny?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:40 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by eurostyle
Another question I have is what's happen if you change brand. Is the new oil going to be compatible with the OEM oil left in the tranny?
Providing the new oil meets the GM spec, you should be all right.

NATO mandates that "like oils are compatible with like oils."

Get notified of new replies

To ? about MN6 transmission fluid capacity - conflicting specs.

Quick Reply: ? about MN6 transmission fluid capacity - conflicting specs.