C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 gauges not working?

Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 AM
MadMatty
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 gauges not working?

My 2005 C6 has been sat in the garage for 2 months, it started first time but none of the gauges are working (fuel, oil, temp, tach, speed etc) but the HUD is working correct and the digital odometer is also. I've tried disconnecting the battery for a while but still no life, any ideas? Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 AM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by MadMatty
My 2005 C6 has been sat in the garage for 2 months, it started first time but none of the gauges are working (fuel, oil, temp, tach, speed etc) but the HUD is working correct and the digital odometer is also. I've tried disconnecting the battery for a while but still no life, any ideas? Thanks
have you check the fuse box? good luck
Old 02-28-2007, 07:11 AM
MadMatty
Heel & Toe

i checked what i think arethe correct fuses, HUD and cluster, and a few others, if anyone knows if al the gauges are on the same fuse and if so which one please let me know
Old 03-07-2007, 03:27 AM
MadMatty
Heel & Toe

Default faulty gauges

come on someone must know what to do! i have checked every guse in the car and they are all ok, please help!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:58 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

come on someone must know what to do! i have checked every guse in the car and they are all ok, please help!
Bad IPM. If you're still held captive by warranty, see your dealer. If you've driven the car enough to gain your freedom, take it to a good independent garage, or fix it yourself.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:49 AM
MadMatty
Heel & Toe

what's IPM? The trouble is i am in the UK and there are no such thing as "good independent garages" for American cars! Thanks i will try find a good auto electrical garage, pleas explain the IPM though thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

what's IPM? The trouble is i am in the UK and there are no such thing as "good independent garages" for American cars! Thanks i will try find a good auto electrical garage, pleas explain the IPM though thanks
Instrument Panel Module. It is the small computer that runs all of your dash instruments.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:58 PM
MadMatty
Heel & Toe

is this a part that can easily by changed? thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 03:00 AM
MadMatty
Heel & Toe

shopdog, you seem to know your SHTUFF!

I noticed in another article you mention a bad ground, G107. Where is this located?
Also where is the IPM ?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 PM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Check the fuse box.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:48 AM
MadMatty
Heel & Toe

first thing i checked, from the cig lighter to the trunk release, all ok.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 AM
russlim
Cruising

So did you find out what it was? i have the same problem as you described, i would appreciate any help, i`m stuck with it((((
Old 02-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Martsam
5th Gear

Hi did you find out the problem and solution?
Old 02-12-2016, 11:32 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

under passenger side footwell is the fuse panel. there is a fuse labelled HUD / INSTR panel. check that fuse.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:01 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

There is only that one 15A fuse for the Inst/HUD, so if your HUD is working OK, then it's not a fuse problem.
It could be a connector that is not fully inserted in the cluster, or just part of it is making a good connection.

G201(at base of left A pillar) is the ground for the Cluster/HUD circuit.
I've added a PDF that shows all the grounds for the C6, and where they are located.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 02-13-2016, 12:04 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Martsam
Hi did you find out the problem and solution?
As the original thread is from 2007, I'm assuming that you are experiencing the same symptoms?
If not, then we will get the Moderators to delete this thread.
I should have checked before replying to a 9 year old thread
Old 02-13-2016, 05:03 AM
Martsam
5th Gear

Hi LS2TOUR,
Yes it is the same problem. I know it is not a fuse problem as the HUD still works but the gauges and the DIC does not seem to be working. I Am in the UK and have always wanted a corvette c6. I have only had it for six weeks and the instrument cluster has stopped working. A member of the UK corvette club said that the corvette has an in built sensor which switches some instrument functions off in high humidity/ cold weather conditions. Is this true? Has anyone experienced the cluster not working and more importantly how I can fix it. As you may have guessed there are not many Chevrolet garages in the UK.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 gauges not working?

Old 02-13-2016, 08:51 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Martsam
Hi LS2TOUR,
Yes it is the same problem. I know it is not a fuse problem as the HUD still works but the gauges and the DIC does not seem to be working. I Am in the UK and have always wanted a corvette c6. I have only had it for six weeks and the instrument cluster has stopped working. A member of the UK corvette club said that the corvette has an in built sensor which switches some instrument functions off in high humidity/ cold weather conditions. Is this true? Has anyone experienced the cluster not working and more importantly how I can fix it. As you may have guessed there are not many Chevrolet garages in the UK.
Cold and humidity has nothing to do with the gauges not working.
As you can see by the attached portion of the wiring diagrams, there is only a few electrical connectors to the HUD/Instrument cluster.
I'd be guessing that it's one of those connectors, or a pin in a connector that is not making good contact.
You may have to remove the Cluster bezel, the cluster and check the connectors and wiring at those locations.
Also, check the connectors at the BCM under the passenger footwell. Sometimes the (blue) connectors get shifted when a passenger pushes against the floor board.
Just disconnect the connectors, clean the pins with contact cleaner, and re-install them.
Put pencil erasers on each side of the BCM so it raises the floor board a bit, to prevent the floor boars from hitting against the connectors behind it.

This is all I can offer.
If the HUD is working, it has to be a connector or wire either at the cluster end, or ECM end.

Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 02-13-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:42 PM
rado63
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
As the original thread is from 2007, I'm assuming that you are experiencing the same symptoms?
If not, then we will get the Moderators to delete this thread.
I should have checked before replying to a 9 year old thread
If you hadn't answered this 9 year old thread, I might not have gotten a copy of the schematic with all the ground locations. Thank you Paul for posting that handy PDF reference.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:05 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rado63
If you hadn't answered this 9 year old thread, I might not have gotten a copy of the schematic with all the ground locations. Thank you Paul for posting that handy PDF reference.
Your welcome. I try to offer info if I can to help out. I know that this forum has helped me solve some issues in the past, so I'm just trying to pay forward.
BTW, if you need the C6 wiring color coded schematics, PM me your e-mail addie and I'll send the PDF to you, or anyone else that wants them. (just specify your request in the PM.

They are from a 2006, so they do not include the LS3 or LS9 engine schematics, but they do cover the LS6 and LS2.
Newer Radio controls on the Steering wheel are not covered either, but the NAV with Bose is covered. It is only 1 wire added for the radio controls to the NAV,
Everything else is the same from 2006-2013
The PDF is too large to post on this forum.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 02-14-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 gauges not working?