C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Z06 Muffler Install with Functional Butterflies

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:57 PM
seb71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06C6FVR
Wouldnt it be fairly easy to use an RPM window switch like a nitrous kit uses and have it send to an electronic actuator switch that opens during certain RPM ranges, or maybe set to a full throttle activation switch that it only opens at full throttle? Or even just on an electronic toggle switch. Then you wouldnt have to have any vacuum at all. Just some ideas that might be cheaper.
I think that the baffles need vacuum to close down. That is what gives it the power to close.. Perhaps I am wrong...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:05 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The butterflies are closed with engine vacuum. The solenoid then vents the butterflies when no voltage is present to open the valves.

Voltage at vacuum solenoid = closed butterflies
No voltage at vacuum solenoid = open butterflies

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 08-08-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 AM
seb71
Instructor

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeDream
The butterflies are closed with engine vacuum. The solenoid then vents the butterflies when no voltage is present to open the valves.

Voltage at vacuum solenoid = closed butterflies
No voltage at vacuum solenoid = open butterflies
That is what I understood. No vacuum lines=butterflies always open; correct?

There is no way to make them close without the vacuum lines; correct?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
St. Jude Donor '13

Correct.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 PM
SS502MC
Instructor

Could you simply install a electrical solenoid in place of the vaccum unit? This would like the ones used on eletric cutouts. This would only need a electrical conection. That was a great write and a lot of work to share it. Was just thinking when I saw the solenoids mounted underneath.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:49 PM
cool07
Instructor

The '08 NPP mufflers are now available (p/n 15879289 & 15879288), so it would be a much easier install using these as they have 2.5" pipes (ie. just bolt in a C6)

Vacuum requirements are still the same.

I just installed these on my 07 C6 Z51. Best thing I have done, next to the headers. Sound great (no drone at cruise, excellent noises under load), plus they look good! Gold star to GM for these!!
Old 08-21-2007, 12:54 PM
seb71
Instructor

Originally Posted by cool07
The '08 NPP mufflers are now available (p/n 15879289 & 15879288), so it would be a much easier install using these as they have 2.5" pipes (ie. just bolt in a C6)

I just installed these on my 07 C6 Z51. Best thing I have done, next to the headers. Sound great (no drone at cruise, excellent noises under load), plus they look good! Gold star to GM for these!!
Betcha my Z06 LG Longtube headers with hi flow cats along with Z06 mufflers on my 2005 C6 Z51 flow more and sound better!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:03 PM
seb71
Instructor

But seriously...

Did you also install all the vacuums?
Old 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SS502MC
Could you simply install a electrical solenoid in place of the vaccum unit? This would like the ones used on eletric cutouts. This would only need a electrical conection. That was a great write and a lot of work to share it. Was just thinking when I saw the solenoids mounted underneath.

No. There is only one solenoid. The pieces on the mufflers are vacuum actuators. They don't have a motor inside and are strictly operated off vacuum. To use electricity only you would have to install electric actuators. It would be a lot cheaper to just buy electric cutouts.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 AM
cfi_luz
Drifting

With headers how does the volume of these (with valves open) compare to other catbacks like say Corsa Sports? Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 01:13 AM
seb71
Instructor

Originally Posted by cfi_luz
With headers how does the volume of these (with valves open) compare to other catbacks like say Corsa Sports? Thanks
That question really has no exact answer. But it has to have more flow because we are comparing a 2.5" system to a 3" system...
Old 08-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Awesome job I wish there was something similar for the C5. I bet you could cut the rear tub in the C5, make room for these mufflers, and run the same setup.

You'd need to be able to weld to instal new exahust hangers, but it'd be pretty cool.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:50 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

I don't think this has been covered in this thread, but if you had a C6 Z06 and wanted the valves kept CLOSED at all rpms to keep noise down at a noise restricted track:
a) can that be done?
b) would it cause any problems?

My original thread is here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1561771150
Old 09-04-2007, 08:18 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

David, I sent you a PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:25 AM
seb71
Instructor

Originally Posted by David_Yu
I don't think this has been covered in this thread, but if you had a C6 Z06 and wanted the valves kept CLOSED at all rpms to keep noise down at a noise restricted track:
a) can that be done?
b) would it cause any problems?

My original thread is here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1561771150
Could you not just put a switch to the solenoid? Which would enable you to have it openned or closed at your desire. You could then keep it closed all the time... WHY!?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Full closed mode is the mose difficult to do of the three modes possible.

Its easy on a C6 retrofitted car and a little more difficult on a stock NPP or Z06. But definately not impossible!

When you take power away from the solenoid the Butterflies go full open.

When you apply power to the stock gm exhaust controller via the exhaust fuse the Butterflies open at whatever rpm gm programmed them to.

To do full closed you need to wire around the stock GM exhaust flow controller so that they are not removing power from the solenoid.

For people who have retrofitted the NPP or Z06 mufflers its easy to do full closed as there is no GM exhaust controller in the car. And they have had to run the signal wire to the vacuum solenoid already to make the system open and close.

For people who have a NPP or Z06 with stock Bi-Mode Exhaust and want full closed, they will need to bypass the GM controller by running a wire from the vacuum solenoid to the Fuse panel in the passenger footwell and then sendnig a signal from an aftermarket controller.

If you use my NPP / Z06 Exhaust Commander to control the rpm open mode and full open mode, and run the wire from the fuse panel area and hook the exhaust signal wire from the NPP / Z06 Exhaust Commander to the vacuum solenoid, you can get full closed mode by unhooking the RPM signal connector on the NPP / Z06 Exhaust Commander. Thus applying power all the time for full closed, and removing power for full open.

If anyone needs any additional info, let me know!

Ben
Old 12-05-2007, 10:59 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

With the Add-a-fuse oriented as shown, I believe that the circuit is essentially double fused with the 10A fuses and Add-A-Fuse (RH side of slot is hot - feeding power to switch and solenoid thru both 10A fuses)....no arm this way, just redundant.

Us mechanicals have to look out for one another considering we slept thru all that imaginary # stuff....

Look at the online instructons for the controllers and you'll see that they are opposite (add-a-circuit orineted with added circuit power wire exiting towards driver's side)..

Last edited by bub; 12-05-2007 at 11:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: Z06 Muffler Install with Functional Butterflies

Old 12-06-2007, 03:35 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

All Corvette mufflers have the same Inlet 2 1/2 "
Old 12-29-2007, 01:33 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

Great info here...
Old 01-04-2008, 12:04 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeDream
Full closed mode is the mose difficult to do of the three modes possible.

Its easy on a C6 retrofitted car and a little more difficult on a stock NPP or Z06. But definately not impossible!

When you take power away from the solenoid the Butterflies go full open.

When you apply power to the stock gm exhaust controller via the exhaust fuse the Butterflies open at whatever rpm gm programmed them to.

To do full closed you need to wire around the stock GM exhaust flow controller so that they are not removing power from the solenoid.

For people who have retrofitted the NPP or Z06 mufflers its easy to do full closed as there is no GM exhaust controller in the car. And they have had to run the signal wire to the vacuum solenoid already to make the system open and close.

For people who have a NPP or Z06 with stock Bi-Mode Exhaust and want full closed, they will need to bypass the GM controller by running a wire from the vacuum solenoid to the Fuse panel in the passenger footwell and then sendnig a signal from an aftermarket controller.

If you use my NPP / Z06 Exhaust Commander to control the rpm open mode and full open mode, and run the wire from the fuse panel area and hook the exhaust signal wire from the NPP / Z06 Exhaust Commander to the vacuum solenoid, you can get full closed mode by unhooking the RPM signal connector on the NPP / Z06 Exhaust Commander. Thus applying power all the time for full closed, and removing power for full open.

If anyone needs any additional info, let me know!

Ben
And as mentioned on other threads, Ben was as good as his word and sent me an Ultimate Exhaust Commander that did precisely what he described here!

I am delighted because I was having difficulty getting my LPE Z06 on to lots of UK circuits due to noise restrictions, but now I can COMMAND the exhaust valve to stay closed at all rpms when required.

A much more elegant and high tech solution than bolting on some Supertrapps or other bolt-on cans.

Quick Reply: DIY: Z06 Muffler Install with Functional Butterflies