C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Door Speaker Replacement w/PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
fenderowner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Door Speaker Replacement w/PICS

I know this subject has been discussed several times here, but I haven't seen a thread with pics, so thought I would post this for the faint of heart.

After some agonizing, I decided to replace the "upgraded" Bose 3.5" door speakers in my 05 Coupe. Based on some other forum member suggestions, I opted for Infinity 8233s (which have been discontinued, I think). I found a pair for about $27 shipped on eBay. After consulting all of the door panel removal posts, and getting the removal instructions with drawings from my friend Pat in Vegas, I finally screwed up my courage and attacked the install.

The first thing one must face is removing the door panel. Both sides essentially are removed the same way, the only difference being the location of attaching screws. Starting with the driver door, there is a small oval cover underneath the door handle.

Name:  driverdooraccess.jpg
Views: 2262
Size:  12.4 KB

Gently pry this cover off using a small flatblade screwdriver. It should pop off with ease. Once the cover is off, you will see two torx head screws that you will need to remove.

Name:  driverdoortorqx.jpg
Views: 2262
Size:  10.2 KB

I think the size is around T35-40, neither of which I had. I did, however, find that a 5/16" long handled allen wrench would work on these, so that is the tool I used. Unscrew these and set aside.

The passenger side door is also secured by two torx screws - one located underneath the door release button (which can be pried off with a small flatblade screwdriver)

Name:  passengerbutton.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  12.3 KB

and the other is in a hole in the panel just below the door handle:

Name:  passengerbutton2.jpg
Views: 2227
Size:  14.6 KB

Next, locate the slot on the bottom of the door panel near the rear of the door.

Name:  sidepanelslot.jpg
Views: 2237
Size:  14.9 KB

Insert a large flatblade screwdriver and start prying the door panel off. You will think you are destroying the door, but this is normal. Continue around the door until you have popped all the nylon (?) retaining screws loose. Once these are all loose, lift the panel up and it should come off the door. The backside of the removed panel with the mounted speaker looks like this:

Name:  outersidepanel.jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  23.5 KB

The back of the door with the panel off will look like this:

Name:  paneloff.jpg
Views: 2338
Size:  21.0 KB

Next, you will want to unplug the door's wiring harness so you can put the panel on a bench or somewhere to do the speaker removal/replacement. Here is the harness connector.

Name:  wirebundleplug.jpg
Views: 2218
Size:  18.7 KB

Squeeze the two black plastic release pins and the pink connector handle will move up.

Name:  plugremoval.jpg
Views: 2213
Size:  20.7 KB

Once this pink handle is rotated back, you can disconnect the connector and the panel will be completely free from the door. I laid the panel with its inside face up on a table inside my garage for the speaker removal. The OEM speakers are held in place by four Phillips head screws.

Name:  oemspeaker.jpg
Views: 2257
Size:  22.1 KB

Remove these screws, and then push down on the blue connector release pin to remove the wire connector. I used the OEM screws to secure the new Eclipse speakers. At this point, you will have to make a decision about how to connect the new speakers. I chose to cut the wires, then solder wires with standard speaker connectors on them to the old harness. I used shrink tubing to cover the solder joints and prevent shorting. I also wrapped the excess wire around the existing harness bundle to prevent them from getting caught on something inside the door panel. Note that on the driver's side, the light blue wire is ground: on the passenger side, the green wire is ground.

Name:  newspeaker.jpg
Views: 2239
Size:  25.6 KB

To replace the panel, first reconnect the wiring harness. Then start at the top of the door by lining the top of the door panel up with it's location on the door (you can see where the hangers have been if you look closely -then just match these together) inserting the metal panel hangers into the top of the door. Roll the windows down to make this easier. Push down slightly on the panel to lock the hangers in place. Once you've done this, make sure the plastic (or nylon) clips are started in their holes, and then start snapping them in all the way around the door by pressing inward on the side panel with the palm of your hand. Replace the srews and the oval cover or the door release button, make sure the windows operate okay, and then turn on your stereo and enjoy a little upgraded sound!

Total time for me was less than an hour, and the second door goes much faster. I'm contemplating whether or not to replace the rear speakers (others have convinced me replacing the door woofer-thingys is not productive) now that I have some new treble sounds in my car.

As always, I hope this helps some that are not sure about tackling this job, and that it isn't too elementary for you super wrenches and real audiophiles out there!

Last edited by fenderowner; 06-11-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:33 PM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez that's easy! Thanks for the post. I need to find that clip that rattles loose on everyone's door.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:57 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Excellent post, should become a sticky. Thank you I am about to do mine and you have answered/shown everything I need to know.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Great Post! How much of a diffence in sound quality did you notice? Some days my Bose sound better than other days.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:34 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Great write up, you make it look easy.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Gene Gorman
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. Looks like one more thing for me to do.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 AM
fenderowner
Pro

Originally Posted by xcutter
Great Post! How much of a diffence in sound quality did you notice? Some days my Bose sound better than other days.
Well, there is definitely a better hi frequency response, but I'm not sure that just replacing these speakers is enough to fully appreciate just how much better the system can sound in a C6 (others argue that one needs to change out the amplifier, too). Think I will replace the rear speakers at a later date. I still believe that at the price I paid for the speakers ($27 shipped) it was worth it. HTH.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:49 AM
UNKNOWN
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

if 27 $ shipped is an upgrade, what does that say for the oem?

they were 8$ each?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Just did the same (almost)

I just had both my door tweeters and the same type dash center speaker replaced with (now outdated) Eclipse SE8233 tweeters I got on Ebay for $17/pair, and there really is a noticable difference in fidelity! Total cost: $50 for 2 pair speakers shipped, and $50 for the install, totaling $100. (was too chicken to attempt the install myself).
As for the value of the OEM tweeters, I'd say they're worth more like 5 cents, not 5 dollars!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:41 AM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Thanks a lot!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:34 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good write up, thanks.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:54 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Well done, especially good close-up pics.

There are tons of write-ups in the Audio/Electronics section and the C6 Audio FAQ is linked below in my sig.

Changes like this are extremely subjective. Honestly practically any speaker will sound better than the cheap paper Bose & Delco POS's that come stock, but whether or not the system on the whole sounds better afterwards is in the ear of the beholder. I did a complete system swap in my own car, but I helped a friend with a straight-up swap of Infinity for the Bose 3.5's. To my ear, adding real highs to the systems make the lack of midbass more apparent, but as always, YMMV.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Can the 8" bass speakers be replaced too while you have the door apart doing the mid/tweeter 3.5" speakers????

What would fit?? Seems if you go to all this trouble you'd yank the entire assembly out and replace it. Does the HU send a FULL RANGE un-modified signal to the door speakers?? I'be been told over the years that the Bose HU sends a modified signal to each speaker.

Tom
Old 06-13-2007, 10:51 AM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blznsdl
if 27 $ shipped is an upgrade, what does that say for the oem?

they were 8$ each?
If purchased from the same source, $8 sounds a bit high for the oem speakers
Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Can the 8" bass speakers be replaced too while you have the door apart doing the mid/tweeter 3.5" speakers????

What would fit?? Seems if you go to all this trouble you'd yank the entire assembly out and replace it. Does the HU send a FULL RANGE un-modified signal to the door speakers?? I'be been told over the years that the Bose HU sends a modified signal to each speaker.

Tom
The Bose subwoofer is a 10" driver and is self-amplified so there's no simple direct replacing that one. It receives a crossed-over signal only, not full range.

The non-Bose system is a regular 8" speaker and is driven by the same amp in the passenger footwell as the rest of the speakers. It too receives a crossed-over signal, and an amplified one to boot.

Direct replacement of speakers is only an option if you're content with marginal improvement. If you want significant improvement you have to go the full deal - amp, speakers and though you don't have to replace the factory head it makes sense to do so if you're gonna go that far(my next step).
Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
The Bose subwoofer is a 10" driver and is self-amplified so there's no simple direct replacing that one. It receives a crossed-over signal only, not full range.

The non-Bose system is a regular 8" speaker and is driven by the same amp in the passenger footwell as the rest of the speakers. It too receives a crossed-over signal, and an amplified one to boot.

Direct replacement of speakers is only an option if you're content with marginal improvement. If you want significant improvement you have to go the full deal - amp, speakers and though you don't have to replace the factory head it makes sense to do so if you're gonna go that far(my next step).
Thanks for the info. Looks like I keep what came with the car.

Tom
Old 06-13-2007, 09:10 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

I have just purchased the Boston Acoustics 3.5 inch speakers and have replaced the center front speaker...just to see how it looks in there and to get the screw head sizes, etc. That went well and now with this post, I think I will try the doors. I am not sure my ears will notice much difference, but I CAN hear that the Bose stock speakers don't get it.

anothercrisis

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Door Speaker Replacement w/PICS

Old 08-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Ken Rahaim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fenderowner
I know this subject has been discussed several times here, but I haven't seen a thread with pics, so thought I would post this for the faint of heart.
I usually just lurk here but I wanted to say thanks to fenderowner for taking the time to photo-document his install. Made it a breeze for me to do my Boston Acoustic 5 speaker swap (center, 3.5 doors and 5.5 sail panels).

I also wanted to publicly say thanks to Dan Coughlin for his help off forum and also to all the other folks who contributed in the various stereo system upgrade threads that helped make my swap a piece of cake.

Anyway, plenty of you already know the benefit of upgrading so I'll just add my voice to the group and say that it was definitely worth the (minimal) effort for the improvement. Its transformed the warbley mess that is the stock Bose "premium" system into something that I can at least live with.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:31 AM
Ken Rahaim
Intermediate

SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD

Oh yeah, meant to add that I've got one leftover, brand new Boston Acoustic S35 3-1/2" speaker for the center if anybody is interested. Its the same one shown here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BZpHEeV...065S35&g=51100 (regular price is $69.99 for the pair)

$30 plus shipping. Includes a correct GM wiring harness adapter (normally $10 a pair) for free.

SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD - SOLD

Last edited by Ken Rahaim; 11-28-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:58 AM
jbergnes
Intermediate

Default Speaker Upgrade

This thread is mainly about upgrading the speakers of the Optional Bose System. How about the standard system. What speakers have worked best for you guys?? Does the upgrade make a significant difference that can be heard by the average ear??
Thanks for this Forum.

Quick Reply: DIY Door Speaker Replacement w/PICS