C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter went into "No-mans land" again last night...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Default Shifter went into "No-mans land" again last night...

At ther strip on one of my 3-4 shifts.

This happend a couple times ago at the track. It "Clicks" into what feels like 3rd, but when I release the clutch it's in no gear. This time, I pulled ot out of "phantom gear" and put it in 4th and finished my pass as part throttle. As I was decelerating after the lights, I heard a noise that sounded like worn out brake pad (down to metal) against a warped rotor; cha..cha..cha..cha...cha...cha...cha.... cha....cha.....cha... as I slowed.

Thought, "WTF", then put the shifter back into 3rd, then back in to neutral as I was still slowing, and when the shifter was pulled back into neutral, the noise went away.

Mechanically, what is going on here?? I miss the Pro 5.0 shifter on my old Camaro's T56.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:03 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

Location: Objects in your mirror are losing , Long Island, NY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
At ther strip on one of my 3-4 shifts.

This happend a couple times ago at the track. It "Clicks" into what feels like 3rd, but when I release the clutch it's in no gear. This time, I pulled ot out of "phantom gear" and put it in 4th and finished my pass as part throttle. As I was decelerating after the lights, I heard a noise that sounded like worn out brake pad (down to metal) against a warped rotor; cha..cha..cha..cha...cha...cha...cha.... cha....cha.....cha... as I slowed.

Thought, "WTF", then put the shifter back into 3rd, then back in to neutral as I was still slowing, and when the shifter was pulled back into neutral, the noise went away.

Mechanically, what is going on here?? I miss the Pro 5.0 shifter on my old Camaro's T56.
If I were you, I would take it to the nearest dealer asap. This issue you are having, might be a sign that your synchros are going south..Good luck..

Last edited by welcome2try; 07-22-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:45 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

It's normal...with this car.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:31 PM
opus1111
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sallen619
Ugh! Say it isn't so!

I've never had anything like that happen- never even been blocked out of 1st gear at a stoplight. Let's see, I did have to have my tranny re-sealed after it started leaking w/ 3000 mi on the clock tho...

The C7 will be better, right?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

For real?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know how "normal" that specific problem/noise is? Not long after I got my C6 two years ago I blew a couple WOT 2-3 shifts....IMO I 'locked' it by simply being too tense and forcing the shift. I never experienced any weird noise from the tranny though.

I soon learned a more relaxed/fast shift simply giving the shifter a 'suggestion' towards 3rd gear and letting it 'find its own way' into gear (if that makes sense). It hasn't happened since with some pretty hard shifting at times.

Can the dealership replicate the problem? It might be worth having the dealer check the tranny anyway.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:31 AM
sallen619
Drifting

When the C6 came out, the forum was filled with people who had this problem. It only happens on hard shifts when you going into 3rd...."no mans land". Aftermarket shifters solve this problem but require more effort for each shift. Some of the rattle under acceleration. If you simply push with the heal of your hand, straighr up, it'll go into 3rd everytime.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:57 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

When the C6 came out, the forum was filled with people who had this problem. It only happens on hard shifts when you going into 3rd...."no mans land". Aftermarket shifters solve this problem but require more effort for each shift. Some of the rattle under acceleration. If you simply push with the heal of your hand, straighr up, it'll go into 3rd everytime.

Don't "shove" it into 3rd just push up with the bottom of your hand.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:54 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 470 Likes on 252 Posts

Tom400cfi -

The 2-3 shifts in these cars are tough.

I've raced many Mustangs, my Viper, Cobras, and F-bodies at the track and rarely if ever have I had a problem with the 2-3 shift.

I just palm the shifter and press forward.

BUT......

The C6 is the exception.
On my previous 2006 C6 manual tranny coupe,
After 7 clean passes I started having the same problems you are.

Out of my next 18 passes I blew the 2-3 on almost half of them.

Then, in normal driving I noticed I would miss 3rd or have to force it in to gear.

I went back to the track for a 25th pass and BOOM, I went for 3rd and I don't know what happened, but at almost 90mph at midtrack all heck broke loose, the car started hopping, I kept it straight thankfully, and I noticed I did not have 2nd anymore.

I had to force it in to 3rd gear with a clunk for the ride home or just go 1st to 4th.

It also had to be forced out of 1st to shift.

Diagnosed as a Bent shifter fork by a few mechanics, but I did not take any chances and I traded it in on a 2007 C6 A6 at the same time.

I figured the A6 would be easier and safer at the track.
But, I missed shifting so 5 months later I bought a leftover 2006 manual tranny Vert, but I won't race it at the strip anytime in the near future.

There are some that will question my driving ability, even myself now, but all I can say is if they can put a stock Viper on Kumhos in to the 11.6s lift throttle shifting I want to see it.
Not to mention, 12.55@115.85 (2.02 60') on only my 3rd pass in my C6 with just cai and catback is quite respectable on a 60 degree day.

Like I said, after 7 total passes (3 after putting my headers on) something in the car changed, not me, I think the tranny or shifter to tranny linkage is not built for serious abuse.

Hope all is well with your car,

Howard
Old 07-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I had this problem too and almost bought a new shifter. Ranger here on the board chimed in on my shifter choice thread and gave me this information:

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Im..._Shifting.html

I hardly ever miss a shift anymore. Try it, it's free.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Thanks for the replies. I do practice the "open palm, straight forward" technique. It's only done it twice, but the noise this time was unnerving. If it does it again, back to the dealer it will go.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:01 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. I do practice the "open palm, straight forward" technique. It's only done it twice, but the noise this time was unnerving. If it does it again, back to the dealer it will go.

It'll happen again....when it does, and you do take it to the dealer, let us know if there is a fix.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:32 PM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had tons of problems with mine till I started using a technique to help eliminate the issue. I don't like the open palm method. I kinda flick it with the inside of my thumb. If you try to move it into third and not let the shifter find it you will miss. Still, if i got excited I would miss My Callaway is absolutely beautiful. Don't miss anymore.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:23 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Sounds like a bent shifter fork to me. Tranny work needed to correct that.

Elmer
Old 07-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Joe_G offered good advice. How to Improve Your Shifting

The 2-3 missed-shift is almost always caused by a hand position issue. That's often aggravated by the excitement of making a max acceleration run, whether on the street or track.

Fast, accurate shifts begin with proper hand position on the shifter and plenty of practice, in the garage with the motor off. I still do those drills myself. It's the reason I don't miss shifts and have not had a tranny issue on my Z06s.

With a correct hand-position, unless the tranny is beginning to deliver a grind on shift or a shift refusal during normal driving, I'd not be taking the car to the dealer with an unrepeatable issue.

Just a thought.

Ranger
Old 07-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

This happend a couple times ago at the track. It "Clicks" into what feels like 3rd, but when I release the clutch it's in no gear. .
This happened to me a few times at the 1/4 mile track.
I assume that I went into 5th from 2nd when doing the 2-3 shift.
I think it was my fault, overzealous on the 2-3 shift. I have to practice more.

I never heard of 'no gear' [other than nuetral],
I thought mine went into fifth by my mistake. In that case, it would have no power and feel like 'no gear'.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Mine was definitely in "NO gear". It revved to the limiter (since I was expecting it to be in third I was on the fun pedal when the clutch came out).

Good input from everyone. I was hoping to get a technical description of where/what the noise I heard was though. Good point about the problem not being repeatable by the dealer.

-Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter went into "No-mans land" again last night...

Old 07-24-2007, 12:26 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Check to ensure that your shift stops are set correctly. If adjusted way inward that may prevent you from going into gear all the way. Back out the stops.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:23 PM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done this more than a couple times under full acceleration 2-3 shifts. It comes from naturally pushing away from you as you push up on the shifter. It feels like it goes into a gear, but when you let off the clutch you are basically in neutral and you end up revving like crazy. 1st and 2nd are actually pulled towards you, so you simply need to push straight up out of second. I haven't hit the phantom in gear in a long time. That link above to "Improved Shifting" is great.

With my old MX-6 I used to sit at lights and just practice shifting as fast as I could through the gears. It was fun, and killed the time waiting at the lights. There is substantially more effort in the vette, which I think is why I lost the habit. Maybe I should pick it back up.

I really hate the shift **** on the C6. Just where your palm needs the traction, there is a shiny metal piece with the shift pattern on it. I think that's why we tend to death grip the thing in the first place.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Interestingly enough, when you blow the gear in this fashion your reverse lights come on. The first night I took my C6 to the track I blew 3rd several times - I was really used to the C5 shifter. My wife asked me why I was shifting to reverse on the track - and sure enough, I saw some videos of my runs and the lights do come on!

The car is not in reverse though, it's in no mans land like neutral. Once again, the link I posted above is free to try and worked for me so I highly recommend it.

Quick Reply: Shifter went into "No-mans land" again last night...