C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More LS3 dyno numbers

Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by DCBE
We just need to see some track times when people get some miles on their cars. Taking the 18% loss factor as max 436Hp x .82 (18%loss) =357.5Hp and no dyno on a 08 is that low, not even the 430Hp Auto. So what gives. Base 430 is a 30 hp gain from last year and should be 24.6 at the RW, 436 is a 36 hp gain and should be 29.5 at the RW. Who knows, matter of fact who cares until we see performance actuals and not published GM figures which 05 ~ 07 were beat in real life by actuals on the track.
I just know I'm going to go insane trying to respond to all of the posts like this.....

FORGET the % loss theory. It never was the way to figure horsepower. The only way to know losses is to know the Crank horsepower on an engine dyno, and the rwhp. You can't figure crank horsepower using a factor. C5's came out around 15% on a manual, and 18% on an automatic. Since then everyone has assumed those are THE numbers. They are not.

To further make those numbers meaningless, we are now operating under a new SAE Certified system. Let's quit comparing apples and oranges and just accept the new numbers. We have rwhp dyno numbers for every year Corvette made in the past several years. We can use those as a relative comparison, understanding that most variances (on same year/equipment cars) are likely to be in the dyno, not the engine output itself.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I just know I'm going to go insane trying to respond to all of the posts like this.....

FORGET the % loss theory. It never was the way to figure horsepower. The only way to know losses is to know the Crank horsepower on an engine dyno, and the rwhp. You can't figure crank horsepower using a factor. C5's came out around 15% on a manual, and 18% on an automatic. Since then everyone has assumed those are THE numbers. They are not.

To further make those numbers meaningless, we are now operating under a new SAE Certified system. Let's quit comparing apples and oranges and just accept the new numbers. We have rwhp dyno numbers for every year Corvette made in the past several years. We can use those as a relative comparison, understanding that most variances (on same year/equipment cars) are likely to be in the dyno, not the engine output itself.
and it is also interesting in that a 10 hp increase is so important and gets raves when a mod is added but it's insignificant when there is an 80 hp difference between the LS7 and LS3. Since GM's sinister plan to make all of them equal with TM so marketing can sell more hp why bother. Jim how do you like the new wheels?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:10 PM
hellotbone
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think those numbers are high. If the c6Z dynos at what 440 ish there is no way.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:12 PM
TorontoMark
Racer

What kind of dyno are these results from? Last friday I saw a 06 z06 dynoed @ 414 rwhp corrected properly on a mustang dyno. These numbers seem inflated, we really need other independent persons/dynos to show results.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:26 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

3 or 4 paces have dynoed the numbers are great. the first one i thought it was bull. but now you have to see it is real. its just a powerhouse. i dont like it one bit the short run on the ls2 in the c6 but life goes on. get new or get modded it is what it is
Old 07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
32valves
Pro

Originally Posted by 528rwhp02Zo6
Yeah, and I have 403 crank by the 17% logic which is right on the money like I said -goodbye
395HP X .9 = 355 rwhp

it appears that the drivetrains take about 10% of the power

505 X .90 = 454 rwhp
436 X .90 = 392 rwhp

this looks very close to reality so try using 10% for a drivetrain loss.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Brasil
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TorontoMark
What kind of dyno are these results from? Last friday I saw a 06 z06 dynoed @ 414 rwhp corrected properly on a mustang dyno. These numbers seem inflated, we really need other independent persons/dynos to show results.

This was on a Mustang Dyno. LG uses a dynojet. Mustang dyno's read lower.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by jsk96z28
I don't see what the big deal is, there is nothing much on the street that can keep up with the LS2's already, and there is plenty at the track that will still blow away a LS3, so why is everybody .

Oh, and the wheels are stone ugly on top of it.
1) A better starting point concerning power = a better car.

2) More stock horsepower (C6 vs. C6) = better car.

3) New wheels are better than the old wheels.

4) @ "nothing on the street can keep up with LS2s". I've raced 8 LS2s with good drivers at Houston Raceway Park in my '03 Z06, and I've never lost ONE TIME.
LS2 coupes are marginally slower than C5 Z06s. Vert LS2 are slower, period.

5) The LS3 is the first non-$75k+ C6 that's substantially faster than the fastest C5.

6) The LS3 is underrated. Looking at the dyno numbers coming in, it's safe to say the LS3 should be rated at about 450hp. The LS2 was CORRECTLY rated at 400hp. 50hp (which translates to about 50 rwhp too) is a BIG jump. Without getting into semantics, simply look at the rwhp numbers. They're producing 40-50 more hp right off the lot. Ls2 owners have to do reasonably substantial mods to get there (and don't even say "catback + cold air"....not quite.....try a CAM, tune, exhaust, and cold air.....that's what it'd take).

7) Newer engines with more power outdate older ones with less power. The LS3 is getting the hype because it deserves it. It's the new badboy. The LS2 is not.

-- Ryan
Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hellotbone
I think those numbers are high. If the c6Z dynos at what 440 ish there is no way.
Just as there are examples of high dyno numbers for the '08 C6, one can find examples of high numbers for the Z06. There are C6 Z06s which have put down at or near, 470 RWHP bone stock.

Indeed there is one example I found from LG Motorsports which put down 468 RWHP.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...5&postcount=23

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=dyno

Originally Posted by jimman
and it is also interesting in that a 10 hp increase is so important and gets raves when a mod is added but it's insignificant when there is an 80 hp difference between the LS7 and LS3. Since GM's sinister plan to make all of them equal with TM so marketing can sell more hp why bother. Jim how do you like the new wheels?

Because there is so much variability among chassis dyno results, it is easier and no doubt more accurate to rely on the now "certified" SAE horsepower ratings of both cars, as opposed to dyno results and attempting to back calculate flywheel horsepower.

The SAE Certified numbers which GM states for both engines are 430, 436 horsepower for the C6 and 505horsepower for the C6 Z06. And thats pretty much it, end of story.

Of course there will be a few which fall slightly under or go slightly over those numbers, but the bottom line is these numbers are more reliable than using numbers seen on a chassis dyno and attempting to back calculate flywheel horsepower.

It is curious though, that some want to argue that the LS3 is somehow "underrated" because of the chassis dyno results and that the chassis dyno numbers somehow prove that the LS3 has very significantly "closed the gap" between the base C6 and the Z06.

To that I say I disagree. Both engines are rated by GM under the new SAE standard. The LS3 is no more "underrated" than the LS7 is. Despite ones best efforts to back calculate flywheel horsepower from rearwheel horsepower numbers generated on a chassis dyno.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-23-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the ls2 was correctly rated, under the old system. not anymore. both the ls7 and ls3 are rated under the "new system" and have for ever more screwed up back-in crank hp percentages. these motors are strong, and it seems positive from the hotrod perspective since you get more than the insurance companies probably realize - lol
Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Bell
That's HIGHLY subjective and very debatable and you will find that many (most?) on this board will disagree with you.

5) The LS3 is the first non-$75k+ C6 that's substantially faster than the fastest C5.
Is it?
Based on what?
You might turn out to be correct but at the moment that is a 100% FALSE statement, unless you're talking strictly about top speed (in which case the C6 LS2 already had the fastest C5 (aka: C5 Z06) covered).

Last edited by LS1LT1; 07-23-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 597 Likes on 453 Posts

Are talking about the C5 Coupe or C5 Z06? Big difference.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:55 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fore58
Are talking about the C5 Coupe or C5 Z06? Big difference.
The C5 Z06 is in fact the quickest/fastest of the C5s so I would assume that's what he'd meant.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:02 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

1) A better starting point concerning power = a better car.

2) More stock horsepower (C6 vs. C6) = better car.

4) @ "nothing on the street can keep up with LS2s". I've raced 8 LS2s with good drivers at Houston Raceway Park in my '03 Z06, and I've never lost ONE TIME.
LS2 coupes are marginally slower than C5 Z06s. Vert LS2 are slower, period.

6) The LS3 is underrated. Looking at the dyno numbers coming in, it's safe to say the LS3 should be rated at about 450hp. The LS2 was CORRECTLY rated at 400hp. 50hp (which translates to about 50 rwhp too) is a BIG jump. Without getting into semantics, simply look at the rwhp numbers. They're producing 40-50 more hp right off the lot. Ls2 owners have to do reasonably substantial mods to get there (and don't even say "catback + cold air"....not quite.....try a CAM, tune, exhaust, and cold air.....that's what it'd take).

7) Newer engines with more power outdate older ones with less power. The LS3 is getting the hype because it deserves it. It's the new badboy. The LS2 is not.

-- Ryan
Have you run faster than a 12.49 at HRP in a stock C5, Z06?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Vetteoholic
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 32valves
395HP X .9 = 355 rwhp

it appears that the drivetrains take about 10% of the power

505 X .90 = 454 rwhp
436 X .90 = 392 rwhp

this looks very close to reality so try using 10% for a drivetrain loss.
(My) 344 RWHP x 17%= 58.48 + 344= 402.48 Crank HP
* 344 RWHP x10%= 34.40 + 344= 378.40 Crank HP
I think I'll stick to 17%, I know my C6 has more than 378HP/Crank. I ran 12.53 @ 113.79 in the quarter yesterday. Thanks anyway
Old 07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Jahan
Pro

I'm not sure why we're still having these discussions. There have been three different 08 dynos on two different dynos on three different days, and they are all within 6hp of each other. What more do you people want? Further more who cares about crank hp? If we ALREADY KNOW what it puts out at the wheel, why all the guessing as to the crank numbers?

You 06-07 people need to come to terms with the fact that the 08 really does put out AT LEAST the 36hp that is advertized, and likely even more than that. Why the hate/disbelief?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Jahan
Pro

Originally Posted by 528rwhp02Zo6
(My) 344 RWHP x 17%= 58.48 + 344= 402.48 Crank HP
* 344 RWHP x10%= 34.40 + 344= 378.40 Crank HP
I think I'll stick to 17%, I know my C6 has more than 378HP/Crank. I ran 12.53 @ 113.79 in the quarter yesterday. Thanks anyway
By the way, your math is slightly flawed. bhp + x% is not equal to rwhp - x%. You are calculating it backwards.

Get notified of new replies

To More LS3 dyno numbers

Old 07-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Marina Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This is about as good an explanation I have seen without going into technical details.

Save this in a word document for future recall and duplication.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:27 PM
jsk96z28
Pro

Originally Posted by Jahan
You 06-07 people need to come to terms with the fact that the 08 really does put out AT LEAST the 36hp that is advertized, and likely even more than that. Why the hate/disbelief?
That's great! But it isn't so much that I need to go run out and get one, I'm modding so it really doesn't mean anything to me. The new interior is more of a selling point to me actually, but its not enough to get rid of my 06, I luv this friggin car....
Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 PM
General Lee
Pro

Can somone just pull both LS2 & LS3 out and put it on a engine dyno to see what the crank #'s are?
I know easier said then done, but at least that would put to rest what are real and what are advertised #'s.
BTW im not donating

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More LS3 dyno numbers