C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:01 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ttt
Old 10-10-2007, 07:18 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

I would think that the 05,6,7-08 P/S gears are physically similar and would bolt in. But there is software that controls the Variable Effort Steering VES (Magnasteer II). And that is in the Electronic Brake Control Module EBCM. The EBCM controls the VES. I'm sure that the 08 software is different than previous years. So you might be able to install a 08 gear but you might not have the improved feel unless the gear ratios are different too.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 AM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GMautotech
I would think that the 05,6,7-08 P/S gears are physically similar and would bolt in. But there is software that controls the Variable Effort Steering VES (Magnasteer II). And that is in the Electronic Brake Control Module EBCM. The EBCM controls the VES. I'm sure that the 08 software is different than previous years. So you might be able to install a 08 gear but you might not have the improved feel unless the gear ratios are different too.
Well that leads us all into the next question then, what's needed to swap a 08 EBCM into a 06 or 07 Z06?

Are we talking plug and play?

Gene,

Any price on the 08 EBCM?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:46 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RossN
Well that leads us all into the next question then, what's needed to swap a 08 EBCM into a 06 or 07 Z06?

Are we talking plug and play?

Gene,

Any price on the 08 EBCM?

The EBCM doesn't need to be replaced, just reprogrammed. But that would be a problem because we can only reprogram with the stock software or updated software that's made for the vehicle based off of the VIN. The only way I know of to get around that is to contact GM and request a VCI number. That means they would have to make a custom program for your vehicle (apply the 08 steering software in with the original ABS and suspension software). I would doubt they would go for that based on unforeseen safety issues that could arise. BTW, if you ordered an 08 EBCM it would come unprogrammed.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

He's correct. I checked into it today and all C6 EBTCM's are the same. They just need different programming. I would think someone in the aftermarket can come up with a way to do this.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Well Gene it sounds like we are getting closer.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:41 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Gene it sounds like we are getting closer.

hmmmm....if anything, it sounds farther away. From a potential $583 steering rack part with supposed plug and play install to now what might be GMautotech's EBCM death sentence.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 AM
RossN
Burning Brakes

The EBCM doesn't need to be replaced, just reprogrammed. But that would be a problem because we can only reprogram with the stock software or updated software that's made for the vehicle based off of the VIN. The only way I know of to get around that is to contact GM and request a VCI number. That means they would have to make a custom program for your vehicle (apply the 08 steering software in with the original ABS and suspension software). I would doubt they would go for that based on unforeseen safety issues that could arise. BTW, if you ordered an 08 EBCM it would come unprogrammed.
Can anyone point to any Tuners that reprogram the EBCM or any Devices that allow reprogamming?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reading through this thread it seems the first step will be for someone to actually swap the rack and see if there is any improvement in steering feel. If there is not a steering improvement, then the next step would be to tackle the programming issue.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Reading through this thread it seems the first step will be for someone to actually swap the rack and see if there is any improvement in steering feel. If there is not a steering improvement, then the next step would be to tackle the programming issue.
There were many changes made to the new steering rack itself. They now use roller bearing elements that replace bushings. The tolerances were tightened up to reduce play.
The variable assist was also programmed to give a more natural buildup and not a "step" feel.
To get the benefits from this setup, one will have to get all the pieces together to make it work.
The ratios remain the same and the rack is similar.. so I'm sure someone will get all the pieces together soon enough..
Old 10-12-2007, 09:16 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 505 Likes on 292 Posts

Old 10-12-2007, 10:21 AM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
I like a nice rack.
Originally Posted by xs650
The feel is important.
Firm with bounce.
And so is the response.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:49 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
...The ratios remain the same and the rack is similar.. so I'm sure someone will get all the pieces together soon enough..
If the ratios are definitely the same, then just trying a rack swap alone isn't going to improve the feel.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:43 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the ratios are definitely the same, then just trying a rack swap alone isn't going to improve the feel.
why wouldn't it? The rack is a revised design with better bearings and tighter tolerances. I have to believe the rack makes a difference or they would not have spent the money to do it. although, I do believe you need the software programming changes to get the full benefit.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Gene Culley

I am a firm believer in that you will see a great difference in just the rack. I can't see a programming change make the world of difference. It's going to be the internals of the rack that make your big changes.

Last edited by Gene Culley; 10-13-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:40 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On another Corvette forum I posed the following question and got no useful replies:

I understand from several reviews that the steering rack in the 2008 C6 has been greatly improved over previous versions with better build quality, more precision and much better feel. Does anybody know if the new rack would be a drop-in replacement in a C5? In the parts schematic I looked at they appeared to be the same.

I'm glad to see a vendor who replied here. I got the following from a Vette magazine article:

"The Corvette's precise rack-and-pinion steering system is revised to provide improved feel at all speeds. The revisions are due to a new, premium machining process of the system's internal components, a new, stiffer intermediate shaft and controller calibration changes."

In addition to the rack, there appears to be a new intermediate shaft, but even if the intermediate shaft doesn't retrofit I would expect that the greater precision and build quality of the rack would be an improvement over the C5. My 02 is a base suspension car. Is the power steering cooler from the Z51 available to retrofit as well?

James
Old 10-15-2007, 06:04 AM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Do any Corvette Plant employee's visit this board?

We need a inside source on this one.

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Steering Box

Old 10-15-2007, 12:36 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Old 10-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
I am a firm believer in that you will see a great difference in just the rack. I can't see a programming change make the world of difference. It's going to be the internals of the rack that make your big changes.
Yes...I am a believer in a firm rack.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Gene Culley

Originally Posted by Vettlldo
Yes...I am a believer in a firm rack.

That's true. From past experience it does make a difference

Quick Reply: 08 Steering Box