C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Callaway CAI Install - warning long

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:45 PM
toro1966
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Callaway CAI Install with pics- warning long

Well I just got done installing my Callaway CAI. I have to say it looks great. One of the reasons I went with the Callaway was the looks. It just looks like it came with the car like that from the factory. Before I did the install, I found lots of help and tips on this forum, but there were still a couple of surprises.

Removal:
No real surprises here. Remove the rain guard (shown below). It just pulls off. Then undo the vacuum nipple, the MAF sensor wire and then loosen the clamp just in front of the throttle body. After that you can just pop the two rubber grommets off the mounting pins and pull the whole assembly off.

Taping the shroud:
You have to install the kit without the filter and then tape around it to get the marks for your template. This was easy, just clean the shroud to make sure the tape sticks.

Removing the shroud:
This was a PITA no matter what anyone says. Took me about 1.5 to 2 hours to get it out. Admittedly, I worked slow and I wanted to make sure I didn't break anything, but it still took a long time. Follow the directions that come with the kit. There is one exception. The instructions were made for 05-07, but there is one difference I found for 07. When you are removing all the push pins, clips, screws, etc, the directions tell you to gently pull down the front fascia and then unscrew two screws holding the shroud on the sides. Those screws don't exist. There are, however, 2 plastic push clips, one on each side of the radiator shroud that you need to remove. Those are NOT on the instructions, but you can easily see them. You remove them from the ENGINE Bay side.

The other thing that makes it a pain is that the temp sensor hangs up on everything when you are trying to remove the shroud. Yes, it is unplugged, but it has a plastic point that seems to catch on everything as you try to get the shroud out. Problem is, it is attached to the shroud with a plastic push clip that is nearly impossible to get to. In the end, I just kept maneuvering it until I could get the shroud out. The one thing I will say is you have to twist the shroud. It is pliable and will flex, but for the first hour or so, I didn't want to break it so I was too gentle with it. Bottom line is, it is very flexible and you have to twist it to get it out.

Once it was out, I removed the temperature sensor. I kept it out for reinstall after the shroud was back in.

Cutting the shroud:
Lay the template on the shroud between the tape pieces you put on either side earlier. Tape the template in place on all sides. Use the drill bit provided to drill out the 12 holes for the rivets. Then use a 1/2 inch drill bit to cut the four holes in the center (they are clearly marked on the template).

What I found very easy at this point is to slowly scribe with a razor knife the outline of the piece to be cutout. The plastic is soft so it will scribe very easily. Then remove the template. You will see the outline of the cutout that you scribed. Use the razor knife to make several passes (applying moderate pressure) along the line you scribed. You will see the razor knife cuts a very clean line after 2-3 passes.

Once you have the hole cut out, clamp the base to the shroud.

Drill through the holes you made in the shroud into the filter base. The base is hollow. DO NOT drill through both sides. Drill through the one side and when you feel the air gap, stop. Do that for all 12 holes, putting a rivet in each one as you go along. Once that is done, use a rivet gun to attach them and cut off the rivet shafts.

Reinstall:
Reinstall was a piece of cake and took about 20-30 minutes. USe a little soapy water - a LITTLE - around the lip of the rubber connector so the MAF goes in much easier. Reconnect, and tighten everything up and you will be done. Don't forget to reinstall the Temperature sensor. This is pretty easy and the plastic clip just pushes right in.

Final result:

Let me know if you have any questions,
Cheers!

Last edited by toro1966; 08-12-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:31 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Ray

Nice job!!!

I see what you were asking me about drilling "all the way through". I'm glad you didn't follow my advice! It had been a couple of years since I did my installation. After your great explanation I can see what you were questioning.

Like you experienced, I think it's a pretty straight forward job - except for getting the shroud out and back in!!!

Bob
Old 08-12-2007, 05:31 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Good post; thanks. Looks good and I know you will enjoy the difference cool air makes.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:06 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Dang! Your install is as nice as any I have seen! Your hired! Glad to see it all worked out!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:21 PM
toro1966
Pro

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Dang! Your install is as nice as any I have seen! Your hired! Glad to see it all worked out!
Thanks! And thanks for the quick shipping and excellent product. I really like the look. I haven't driven it enough to see if I can feel it yet...Thats ext weekend!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:47 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good information.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:17 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Must feel good to have done it all Yourself!!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 PM
GMRULZ
Pro

Looks good, nice write up. I did mine as well. shroud is a little tough to get out but not bad. I`m sure you are enjoying it.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:29 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work Ray! Wanna job? Nice write up too.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 AM
toro1966
Pro

Thanks Ed! I am ready for another run now!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:40 PM
nmk
Racer

I had the same problem as you did getting the shroud out. I didn't want to break it, after a couple of hours I was so mad I didn't care.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:38 PM
C6YA
Instructor

This may be a stupid question, but do you have get computer retune after installation to take full advantage of the additional air coming through the throttlebody, intake manifold, heads, etc or does the computer automatically adjust to optimum performance?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:49 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by C64YA
This may be a stupid question, but do you have get computer retune after installation to take full advantage of the additional air coming through the throttlebody, intake manifold, heads, etc or does the computer automatically adjust to optimum performance?
Ideally, a true dyno tune would help one fully utilize a modification like this but it's not entirely necessarily.
The PCM will, at least to some extent, automatically learn it in over the course of a few hundred miles.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Tx07BlackZ51
Safety Car

and great write-up thanks !!!!
Old 12-08-2007, 08:52 AM
C6VetteMan
Racer

Installed mine without removing the shroud. I took a couple of hours, but looks just like the OEM.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:31 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by C6VetteMan
Installed mine without removing the shroud.
Any trouble with the drilling; rivets, etc??
Old 12-08-2007, 02:19 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nice job!

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway CAI Install - warning long

Old 12-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It is a great setup, and I agree it is a real pita, took two of use about a six pack to get it done. But works great, to me worth the time..
Old 12-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Jim_H
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great!

Thanks for posting the nice pics and excellent DIY description.

My only other question would be, do you notice any difference at all in performance?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by C6VetteMan
Installed mine without removing the shroud. I took a couple of hours, but looks just like the OEM.
Hmmm....that sounds real interesting. How did you have room for the rivet gun etc? I have the '08 Z51 and don't feel like dinking around with the oil cooler BS.

TIA,

Quick Reply: Callaway CAI Install - warning long