C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Strip Launch techniques Z51 6Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Bludog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Drag Strip Launch techniques Z51 6Speed

I have tried numerous ways to launch my 06 Z51 6 speed at the drag strip. Traction contol on, TC off, Competition mode on. Leaving the line @ 1500rpms, (bad wheel hop) 2000rpms, (horrific wheel hop) and just leaving the line from a normal stop and then nailing it. My best time - Stock setup, no tune and F1 tires was leaving the line fraom a normal stop with no traction control. Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2007, 03:47 AM
FLZ_Boy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you leaving the line, you probably will have to feather the clutch a little longer if your losing traction going WOT just off the line. Track preparation does influence how much throttle input leaving the line till you can nail it.

It boils down to seat time and playing with the throttle input to get a good launch.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:32 AM
GMRULZ
Pro

Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy
When you leaving the line, you probably will have to feather the clutch a little longer if your losing traction going WOT just off the line. Track preparation does influence how much throttle input leaving the line till you can nail it.

It boils down to seat time and playing with the throttle input to get a good launch.

3 things you need to do:

1.Change your shocks, this eliminates a lot of wheel hop, not all but most, I use bilstien sports
2.air runflats to 24lbs
3.and as said above you will have to feather the clutch on launch, and be sure to clean the water off the tires

Check my sig for my times, I have a z51 mn6 as well on runflats.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Bludog
Pro

Thanks for the info. Will those shocks work with the active handling system.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys need to consider look up CF member "Ranger." He's BEAT the factory spec 1/4 mile times with a STOCK C6! Look him up and talk to the dude, he's got a lot of knowlege and tracktime experience to share!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Big Chevy Man
Heel & Toe

Default track results

I have an 08 Z51 performance exhaust, stock tires, the only thing that was done was the air box. At Englishtown today the car turned 12.501 at 115.07 MPH, 60 ft. is 2.103

If I put tires, I think the car is capable of a lot better.

I had no problem launching, spun but no wheel hop.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:18 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 468 Likes on 251 Posts

Launching any C6 manual tranny car on stock runflats is tough.

My best was a 2.02 60' by slowly applying throttle at the same time as I released the clutch.
I counted One-Mississippi as I did this and by the end of that I was completely at WOT and off the clutch.

Most of my other launches were by bringing the revs up in between 1500-2000rpms and quickly releasing the clutch and going WOT as soon as I felt it hook, but.....

My best this way was a 2.06 and more often than not it was 2.1s and 2.2s.

No other manual car I have ever owned was this tough to launch.
Using the above 1500-2000rpm launch my Viper did 1.8s, my Cobra did 1.8s, and my other Cobra did 1.9s.

I think the runflats make this car tougher.

Howard
Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I suggest you read Ranger's tips at www.rangeracceleration.com or pick up the December Vette magazine where he has a long article on the topic.

I also strongly suggest you get some drag radials - you stand a fair amount of risk of breaking your rear wheel hopping with the runflats. All broken rears I've seen here to my knowledge were with runflats, none with DR's except Nineball with his H/C Magnacharged car.

Studing and practicing Rangers tips have garnered me 1.6's on occasion and regular 1.7's with decent track prep.

It's a lot more fun to race that just spin your tires and abort runs. The DR's are a must. You wouldn't go to a marathon in your wing tips. Proper shoes are key.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:48 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I suggest you read Ranger's tips at www.rangeracceleration.com or pick up the December Vette magazine where he has a long article on the topic.

I also strongly suggest you get some drag radials - you stand a fair amount of risk of breaking your rear wheel hopping with the runflats. All broken rears I've seen here to my knowledge were with runflats, none with DR's except Nineball with his H/C Magnacharged car.
Drag radials and other soft compound tires can be hell on driveline parts.

When they are heated up and become sticky.....

That said, wheel hop, be it with street tires or drag radials can kill a rear end in no time.

Ranger discusses methods to avoid wheel hop in the information you point to.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:42 PM
BlownV6
Drifting

In my opinion launching with traction control is a waste. Have always launched with it off.

Get notified of new replies

To Drag Strip Launch techniques Z51 6Speed

Quick Reply: Drag Strip Launch techniques Z51 6Speed