C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power adders for California LS3

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:47 PM
iblumberg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power adders for California LS3

I just got an 08 C6 Z51 3LT. I live in California and would like to add some power to my car at some point. I will likely start with the Varam or one of the other highly regarded CAIs.

The next step is more of a problem for me. From everything I have read here, for most folks the next step is headers. Howerver, I would like to stay legal and there don't seem to be any legal headers available (due to the fact that to be effecive, the headers have to have tubes that move the cats further from the engine which is inherently illegal). I have seen a few comments on "shorty" headers that don't move the cats and thus might be legal, but the consensus seems to be that they offer no meaningful power increase.

Thus, my question. What are my options for legal power increases after a CAI? I hope there are some steps before going all the way to forced induction as that is likely too costly for me in the near future. Also, I don't want to be an early adopter of forced induction on the LS3, I'd rather let others get some results before I invest.

Thanks,
Ira
Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

LT headers illegal, yes. Will you get caught/in trouble, doubt it.

Smog is not due on a new vehicle for seven years in CA.
Seven years from now (if you still own the car) the C6 with LT headers/hi-flow cats will pass a sniffer test. I have not heard of anyone getting called on the visual inspection.
I have heard that some cities/counties are now going to start conducting roadside inspections.

Last edited by DSOMC6; 12-04-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The only short tube header's were from Callaway and they stopped producing them due to low sales and high price. There are no CARB approved headers or CAI for the 08. K&N has a CARB approved CAI for the 05 that is the same as the 06 & 07 but I am sure the 08 is different.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 PM
TaylorMade
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If money is no object a supercharger would probably be the way to go. There are many superchargers on the market that are 50 state legal and as you begin to yearn for more power the SC has the capability to grow with you.

Achieving more power in CA while keeping the car completely smog legal will be a challenge.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Get a Magnacharger!{when it comes out for the LS3}
It's carb legal.

Get notified of new replies

To Power adders for California LS3

Quick Reply: Power adders for California LS3