C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 1/4 Mile Performance Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 12:30 AM
laron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MODS IVE DONE TO MY CAR HAS NONTHING TO DO WITH THIS...

WERE TALKING STOCK FOR STOCK.....WHEN YOPU ADD MODDS ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

I put the stock LS6 heads and cam into my coupe because I wanted to have the most powerful engine chevy made at that time...Also it would in know way void my warranty...I did only gain 4 mph and 40 rwhp with the LS6 head and cam though....

The record for the fastest stock Z06 at my track is only 12.7 @ 112 mph

The fastest C6 has went 13.2 at 108 mph
The fastest C5 has went 13.3 at 107 mph

It just makes me so madd how you guys make so many excuses...

MY CAR IS A 2004 A4 WITH 2.73'S AND ONLY WENT 13.5 AT 103 MPH BON E STOCK....

I HAVE NO PROBLEM ADMITTING THAT MY CAR IS THE SLOWEST C5 YOU CAN GET.

But you guys throw out every excuse in the book as to why the Z06 isnt really faster....

-inexperienced drivers?????? My best friend pulled a 13.5 in my car his first time down the strip

-Tires being an inch bigger?????Yea thats really gonna take a good 4 mph off your ET

-The LS2 gets heat soaked?????Come on what engine dosent

-Not enough C6 drag racers yet?????Give me a break...Theres been atleast a handful at every track in the US..

ET tells everything guys......And the C6's are averaging around 108-111
The Z06's are averaging 112-115

Stop making excuses and admit that the car has a BAD TM problem...

It's not that the car is weak (it isnt) The computer is just set up wrong for the engines full potential....Im sure GM is adressing this in the06 models and were gonna see some way better numbers.

Sorry and you can hate me if you want to but Im just telling the truth...Im a die hard fan of stock performance numbers....

When I fist started reading how the C6 was running 12.6 at 114 mph and even a little cheaper Base price than the 04 C5 I had just bought I had my mind set on trading in the 04( especialy since the C6 had the push button start)...

But the more I read about the real performance people were getting and how trannies were breaking all over the country on STOCK TIRES....I said screw that....

If the car was really turning cosistent 12.6-12.8's at 112-115 for only 43 grand Id get one in a second.....But as the numbers are right now theres really no reason to get one over a C5 unless you like the looks better........Of couse there is no comparison between the interiors though.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:54 AM
laron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im Gonna Leave This Thread Alone As I Can See How My Opinion Could Upset Many Of You...

I Apologize For Turning This Into Another One Of (those) Threads..

Sincerely Sorry......laron
Old 10-23-2005, 08:45 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by laron
Im Gonna Leave This Thread Alone As I Can See How My Opinion Could Upset Many Of You...

I Apologize For Turning This Into Another One Of (those) Threads..

Sincerely Sorry......laron
Laron, I personally don't take offense at your post. I've told you my opinion, and you've told me yours. Until someone starts questioning whether I'm telling the truth, or calling me "dumb" (see "helmet" thread going on right now), I am not offended.

All I can do is post my results and add my editorial. I admit to being somewhat passionate. As you know, I turned a 12.499 @ 114.9 in a bone stock Z51 C6 with 900 miles on it. And I am not Mr. Drag Racer. I've only done it a handful of times.

Feel free to continue to share your opinion, and I'll feel free to dissagree with you That's what the forum is all about, IMHO!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:53 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by zippin zee
...If jschindler will look at his 1/8 mile times on his best pass, we could reasonably figure from his pass that my 8.25 pass would have been well in to the 12's in 95 degree heat as our 60' were very similar.

Sorry, I just saw this. On my best run (12.449) my 1/8 mile time was 8.15 @ 89.95. I had a few runs where my 1/8 was right at 8.26 @ 89.xx and those runs were typically around 12.6 in the 1/4.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:14 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Laron, I personally don't take offense at your post. I've told you my opinion, and you've told me yours. Until someone starts questioning whether I'm telling the truth, or calling me "dumb" (see "helmet" thread going on right now), I am not offended.

All I can do is post my results and add my editorial. I admit to being somewhat passionate. As you know, I turned a 12.499 @ 114.9 in a bone stock Z51 C6 with 900 miles on it. And I am not Mr. Drag Racer. I've only done it a handful of times.

Feel free to continue to share your opinion, and I'll feel free to dissagree with you That's what the forum is all about, IMHO!
I wasn't offended either.

But a guy coming in here professing to tell us why our cars "perform poorly" on the drag strip, when his own car which is not on it's first, but on it's second, cam swap and has yet to break 13 seconds in the quarter mile, well.....sorry, but I'm not taking advice from a guy like that.

Then he wants to talk to us about "torque management" and ignore every other reasonable possibility. Possibilities that anyone familiar with drag racing knows are valid possibilities........ well lets just say, he has a few issues to work out with his own car before he tries to tells us what ails ours.

He has never driven one of ours, at least he is not saying he has, he is obviously not familiar with ours, evidenced when he speaks of the gearing in the C5 Z06 vs the C6, and wants to talk "torque management" and what it does between shifts? You don't even know the transmissions, how are you going to talk to us about torque management???

He evidently knows nothing of density altitude, effect of tires or gearing for that matter as he drag races with 2.73s, effect of track preparation, number of those cars in the hands of experienced people who drag race,.........and finally the willingness of the owner to beat on the car.

First you have to find one who is willing to do it in a brand new car, then he has to know how to do it, then he has to have good track preparation, and ideal conditions to do it in. Torque management is just part of the equation.

There have been three people who have run 12.4x in these cars so far............you would think that would count for something.

TM and whether it exists on the manual cars has been debated enough. He talks about people using excuses, a lot of time people use TM as an excuse for bad driving.

Finally, I had the same car he has. Well mine was an '03. It was modified "right" and had no trouble getting deep into the 12s. On street tires it would run high 13s and even lay down a 14. I reported my first attempts running it on runflat street tires.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...m_id=90&arch=1

Notice how the one guy says "You will not really see what it does until you get the drag radials on there."

And my C6 is every bit as powerful as that car was. Even more powerful. What can I expect on street tires?????

I think I'll trust my own instincts, and those people whose opinions I respect.......................people who have actually driven a car to a 12 second quarter mile..............people who know what it takes to get it into the 12s, to get this one into the 12s. I know how to analyze a time slip, and I know where I am lacking in getting it there. And it ain't torque management.

But no, I wasn't offended either.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-23-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:14 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by laron

It just makes me so madd how you guys make so many excuses..
Well don't take this the wrong way, but it is frustrating to a lot of us when you demonstrate that, well, you don't know what you're talking about.

Especially when you post this kind of bull$#!+ http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...7&postcount=40

But you guys throw out every excuse in the book as to why the Z06 isnt really faster....

-inexperienced drivers?????? My best friend pulled a 13.5 in my car his first time down the strip
Your car is an A4 C5 with 2.73 gears in it. All your friend had to do was put the pedal to the floor and hold on. With those gears his launch was a no brainer. He need not worry about roasting the tires.

I wonder what your friend would have run if your car had been a Manual.

A Z51 MN6 C6, the flavor of C6 which is supposed to be close in performance to the C5 Z06, requires a lot more coordination and driver skill to run a good ET. There is a lot more to it than just sticking someone behind the wheel and telling them to mash the gas pedal.

-Tires being an inch bigger?????Yea thats really gonna take a good 4 mph off your ET
........I think you meant to say "trap speed." Elapsed time is measured in seconds, trap speed in mph. Trap speed is a good indicator of how much power the car makes. But can be affected to a large degree by weather conditions. JSchindler reported a trap speed of 114.x nearly 115mph. Not too shabby.

Wider tires generally give better traction, which can have an effect on the 60ft times, and subsequently the 1/4 mile elapsed time.

-The LS2 gets heat soaked?????Come on what engine dosent
I agree they all do, but I don't see this as a problem if the car has a chance to cool between runs.

-Not enough C6 drag racers yet?????Give me a break...Theres been atleast a handful at every track in the US..
This is where you are wrong. When I go to test and tune and street wars, there are PLENTY OF TIMES when I am the only Vette there. Period. No C3s, C4s, C5s and definitely no C6s. My track is busy too, usually well over 250 cars. Damn crowded.

My last two times there. Two weeks ago......3 C6s including mine, no other Vettes at all, an '05 A4 went 12.9. Guy had replaced his stock air filters with K&Ns, and an 11.6 by an '05 Lingenfelter 427 C6.

Last week: 250+ cars. Only Vettes there were my C6 and two of my friends in '02 and '03 Z06s, and a C4. No other Vettes.

ET tells everything guys......And the C6's are averaging around 108-111
The Z06's are averaging 112-115
Once again, I think you mean "trap speed". And yes a Z will have a slightly higher trap speed than a C6 due to where the LS6 engine makes it's power vs where the LS2 makes it's power.

Stop making excuses and admit that the car has a BAD TM problem...
There is some evidence to support the TM theories. But only time will tell, as people have "tuning" done, it should become more clear how it is affecting performance.

It's not that the car is weak (it isnt) The computer is just set up wrong for the engines full potential....Im sure GM is adressing this in the06 models and were gonna see some way better numbers.
If TM existed in '05 and the goal was to minimize warranty claims, then it follows that it will exist in '06 if that was the motive.

Sorry and you can hate me if you want to but Im just telling the truth...Im a die hard fan of stock performance numbers....

When I fist started reading how the C6 was running 12.6 at 114 mph and even a little cheaper Base price than the 04 C5 I had just bought I had my mind set on trading in the 04( especialy since the C6 had the push button start)...

But the more I read about the real performance people were getting and how trannies were breaking all over the country on STOCK TIRES....I said screw that....
Trannies breaking all over the country?????? What on earth are you talking about??????? Please elaborate.

If the car was really turning cosistent 12.6-12.8's at 112-115 for only 43 grand Id get one in a second.....But as the numbers are right now theres really no reason to get one over a C5 unless you like the looks better........Of couse there is no comparison between the interiors though.
Untill you are willing to concede that no mass produced car can run consistent numbers like that unless it has a good driver, then you will forever be in the dark.

Do you believe that everyone purchasing the new Z06 is going to immediately get 11.7s with it, regardless of their driving skills?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-23-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:10 PM
zippin zee
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok here we go just got back from the Texas Muscle Car Club Challenge. It was at The Texas Motorplex in Ennis Texas. The conditions were good and bad. We had cooler temperatures 55-60 but we had a 30 mph head wind and the track was at its best the first thing this morning as there are a lot street cars with street tires that run this event. My first was a granny shifting pass to get a feel for the car and unfortunately it was my best 60' of the day. This pass was done with no cool down after a 75 mile trip there 1.97 60' 12.83 at 108.75. After a cool down the et's progressively got better even though the 60' were getting worse to a days best of 2.02 60' 12.65 at 111.65. I am not making excuses, have just stated the facts. I believe with a little more seat time and a well prepped track and great weather 12.20's are possible. And by the way I went four rounds got down to 5 cars left and red lighted. Still was a fun day! Now what was that about they won't get out of the 13's? I am pretty sure there some Texas Corvette Club members that can verify this account as mine was the only C6. there.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:23 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Ok here we go just got back from the Texas Muscle Car Club Challenge. It was at The Texas Motorplex in Ennis Texas. The conditions were good and bad. We had cooler temperatures 55-60 but we had a 30 mph head wind and the track was at its best the first thing this morning as there are a lot street cars with street tires that run this event. My first was a granny shifting pass to get a feel for the car and unfortunately it was my best 60' of the day. This pass was done with no cool down after a 75 mile trip there 1.97 60' 12.83 at 108.75. After a cool down the et's progressively got better even though the 60' were getting worse to a days best of 2.02 60' 12.65 at 111.65. I am not making excuses, have just stated the facts. I believe with a little more seat time and a well prepped track and great weather 12.20's are possible. And by the way I went four rounds got down to 5 cars left and red lighted. Still was a fun day! Now what was that about they won't get out of the 13's? I am pretty sure there some Texas Corvette Club members that can verify this account as mine was the only C6. there.

Nice driving Zippin zee, nice driving

12.65 @`111.65 into a headwind.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-23-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:51 PM
zippin zee
Racer

Thank you. But don't give the driver too much credit a lot of it goes to my C6. And by the way no broken parts. I had one episode of wheel hop on the first to second shift, but I have just about got my self trained to partially lift on the 1st to 2nd **** and this seems to be what cures that hop. Sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Very good times
Old 10-23-2005, 08:18 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Great times, zippin zee. I'm sure glad to see that we are finally getting more good times - maybe we can get to a few more of the "naysayers".

Your times would likely have been 12.5 at 114+ if it were not for the headwind. I've driven in those situations before. They kill the trap speed.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:20 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Thank you. But don't give the driver too much credit a lot of it goes to my C6. And by the way no broken parts. I had one episode of wheel hop on the first to second shift, but I have just about got my self trained to partially lift on the 1st to 2nd **** and this seems to be what cures that hop. Sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
So you still got a bit of wheel hop on the 1-2 shift. A few details please.

Did you do a burnout for all of your runs?

What kind/octane gas and how much?

How much air in the tires?

I know at one time you tended to launch at relatively low RPMs, about 2k or thereabouts, and slip the clutch. You still do that?

You powershift?
Old 10-23-2005, 08:53 PM
zippin zee
Racer

Originally Posted by EB20003
So you still got a bit of wheel hop on the 1-2 shift. A few details please.

Did you do a burnout for all of your runs?

What kind/octane gas and how much?

How much air in the tires?

I know at one time you tended to launch at relatively low RPMs, about 2k or thereabouts, and slip the clutch. You still do that?

You powershift?
I only had the wheel hop once as I power shifted it once in the heat of the moment and it bunny hoped on the 1st to 2nd shift. In my car you cannot leave the accelerator on the floor on the 1st to 2nd shift you must partially lift on the gear exchange and that seems to cure it for my car. The 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shifts are made using the clutch but with the accelerator on the floor.

Yes I did a burn out for every run.

Chevron 93 1/2 tank

25 in the rear 30 in the fronts

Yes I like to leave with the traction determining the launch RPM and then not feeding it anymore throttle till you have the clutch all the way out. I like to slip the clutch slightly, no clutch drop. But none of this worked today as my best 60' was 1.97 with several 2.04 and a worst of a 2.06

Another side note my car weighed 3425 with me in it. I weigh 225

Last edited by zippin zee; 10-23-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:01 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I only had the wheel hop once as I power shifted it once in the heat of the moment and it bunny hoped on the 1st to 2nd shift. In my car you cannot leave the accelerator on the floor on the 1st to 2nd shift you must partially lift on the gear exchange and that seems to cure it for my car. The 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shifts are made using the clutch but with the accelerator on the floor.

Yes I did a burn out for every run.

Chevron 93

25 in the rear 30 in the fronts

Yes I like to leave with the traction determining the launch RPM and then not feeding it anymore throttle till you have the clutch all the way out. I like to slip the clutch slightly, no clutch drop. But none of this worked today as my best 60' was 1.97 with several 2.04 and a worst of a 2.06

Thanks for the advice. So you power shift the 2-3 and the 3-4.

My friend with the '03 Z06 recommended I power shift the "straight gears". The 1-2 and the 3-4 but not the 2-3.

But I got that monstrous wheel hop on the 1-2 the first time I tried it. Scared the crap out of me, just knew I had broken something.

However I will give your way a shot now and see if I get better results. Thanks again
Old 10-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

So now that we have several of us who have posted numbers in the
STOCK RUBBER CLASS

Bone stock
WS6JJP, Z51 .... 12.41 @ 112.07
DrRichie, Z51 .... 12.42 @ 113.9
Jschindler, Z51 .... 12.49 @ 114.9
Orange C6, Z51/auto .... 12.5 @ 112
Zippen Zee, Z51 .... 12.65 @ 111.65
Tommy D, auto/3:15 .... 12.92 @108.3
Ginny C6, Auto/F55 .... 12.97 @

Cai & cat back
FLC6, Auto/3:15 .... 12.55@

Cat Back
FLC6, Auto/3:15 .... 12.7@
Thanos, Z51/auto .... 12.8 @

Headers & cat back
CTVette05, auto/3:15 .... 12.37 @ 112.29

Headers, cat back, Cai &Tune
SScamero, Z51 .... 12.7 @ 112.29
1955 Belair, Z51/auto ....12.938 @ 108.60

This is strickly for fun, lets have no more discussion about what these cars should run and etc. The purpose of this thread is to go faster than WS6JJP and to help our fellow members get better times from their cars by sharing our experience.

BTW, if I made any mistakes in recording the times, modifications or options tell me and I will adjust. I'll be going to Englishtown Wednesday night. Good luck everybody

I'll update as more of you post times

Last edited by Tommy D; 10-24-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:56 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tommy D
So now that we have several of us who have posted numbers in the
STOCK BUBBER CLASS

Bone stock
WS6JJP Z51 12.41 @ 112.07
DrRichie Z51 12.42 @ 113.9
Jschindler Z51 12.49 @ 114.9
Zippen Zee Z51 12.65 @ 111.65
Tommy D auto/3:15 12.92 @108.3

Headers & cat back
CTVette05 auto/3:15 12.37 @ 112.29

Headers, cat back, Cai &Tune
1955 Belair Z51/auto 12.938 @ 108.60

This is strickly for fun lets have no more discussion about what these cars should run and etc. The purpose of this thread is to go faster than WS6JJP and to help our fellow members get better times from their cars by sharing our experience.

BTW, if I made any mistakes in recording the times, modifications or options tell me and I will adjust. I'll be going to Englishtown Wednesday night Good luck everybody
With the exception of yourself, the first five are MN6 Z51s.

Here are a few more automatics. Stock or stock with just catback. Worthy of mention is that FLC6 ran 12.55 after an airbox upgrade to better his stock 12.7.

orangec6 STOCK automatic Z51 12.5s @ 112-113 with 100 mile on odometer. He even posted time slips at http://www.3cinc.net/images/C6TimeSlip.gif

Thanos Z51 auto with corsa exhaust, best was 12.8 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1179276

Ginny C6 12.97 in an F55 automatic.

FLC6 12.7 @111 Corsa exhaust A4 w/3.15gears

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show..._id=101&arch=1

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-24-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

If there are any others that I have missed or any MPH numbers of the members posted and incomplete let me know. I am assuming that all information received is from an actual time slip and that none of the numbers posted are corrected numbers

Get notified of new replies

To C6 1/4 Mile Performance Challenge

Old 10-24-2005, 12:50 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I have researched these numbers as best I can as this is somewhat of an interest for me. I can tell you everyone on this board who has claimed a 12 second quarter mile in a stock or near stock C6.

Obviously you are taking the word of the forum member, but no one has said anything about "corrected" numbers. They all seem to be represented as actual numbers.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-24-2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:53 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EB20003
I have researched these numbers as best I can as this is somewhat of an interest for me. I can tell you everyone on this board who has claimed a 12 second quarter mile in a stock or near stock C6.

Obviously you are taking the word of the forum member, but no one has said anything about "corrected" numbers. They all seem to be represented as actual numbers.
I agree, I posted a thread in the general section to see if we can get more times. Hopefully, the mods will let this one run for a while.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:59 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tommy D
I agree, I posted a thread in the general section to see if we can get more times. Hopefully, the mods will let this one run for a while.
I think you mean "stock Rubber class in your list.

I know that you are only interested in a list for this particular board, but I am sure you already know, there are reports of 12 second bone stock, or stock with catback C6s on other boards as well. Two immediately come to mind.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-24-2005 at 01:04 AM.

Quick Reply: C6 1/4 Mile Performance Challenge