C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major timing chain stretch - 38K miles

Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM
huskeric
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major timing chain stretch - 38K miles

fyi,,,

In the process of a head/cam swap and just completed the tear down. I was pleased there was negligle wear and could still see the factory machined cross-hatch pattern in the cylinder walls.

However, I was shocked at how much stretch the stock timing chain had. There was so much slack, it was resting on the timing chain plastic guide between both gears. Luckily, I will be upgrading to a double roller (recognizing I will have to machine the back of the oil pump for clearance). Surely, I was not in jeopardy of having the chain jump a tooth, but in another 20K miles or so, who knows.

Again, just my experience.

As a minimum, I would recommend installing a new TC if swapping cams. Even better, upgrade to a stronger chain.

rick

Last edited by huskeric; 01-06-2008 at 08:21 PM. Reason: type
Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

LS2 I assume? I broke an LS2, now I have a double roller. But a friend of mine broke a double roller, so who knows what is best?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:47 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
LS2 I assume? I broke an LS2, now I have a double roller. But a friend of mine broke a double roller, so who knows what is best?
How much damage did you do when you broke the chain? Does having the blower impart any more pressure on the chain?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:03 AM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by huskeric
fyi,,,

In the process of a head/cam swap and just completed the tear down. I was pleased there was negligle wear and could still see the factory machined cross-hatch pattern in the cylinder walls.

However, I was shocked at how much stretch the stock timing chain had. There was so much slack, it was resting on the timing chain plastic guide between both gears. Luckily, I will be upgrading to a double roller (recognizing I will have to machine the back of the oil pump for clearance). Surely, I was not in jeopardy of having the chain jump a tooth, but in another 20K miles or so, who knows.

Again, just my experience.

As a minimum, I would recommend installing a new TC if swapping cams. Even better, upgrade to a stronger chain.

rick
The chains are actually very lose right from the factory.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:00 AM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Righto. The chains look dangerously loose all the time unless you turn the motor and keep pressure on it. I was concerned when I did my motors but when asking soem experts found it to be normal. My brand new chain was the same way.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:56 PM
0jhaines
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Chain slack

FYI - the newer LS2 engines with the single bolt camshaft and the chain tensioner are designed to have more slack. That is why we recommend changing back to the timing chain guides when converting to an aftermarket camshaft on the single bolt engines because the tensioner is designed to have more slack in the system than the timing gear/chain/guide combination used in the earlier 3 bolt camshafts (so we don't recommend mixing the parts together).

Originally Posted by AintQik
Righto. The chains look dangerously loose all the time unless you turn the motor and keep pressure on it. I was concerned when I did my motors but when asking soem experts found it to be normal. My brand new chain was the same way.

Get notified of new replies

To Major timing chain stretch - 38K miles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Major timing chain stretch - 38K miles