C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally disable onstar and tracking devices and black boxes ?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:44 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It seems to me that the real fun would be figuring out how to prevent OnStar from shutting the vehicle down or messing with any of the control modules during actual driving. If that could be done, but leave the remote functioning in place for unlocks and diagnostics, that would be perfect(for me). I can imagine some hacker actually figuring out how to get into the OnStar system someday to "play" with GM vehicles(and other OnStar equipped vehicles).
Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Villareale
I have wanted to disable the "black box" since a saw a court case involving a college kid borrowing his father's vette w/ permission ending up in accident involving a fatality of another driver. The carnage of the scene was such the investigators concluded excessive speed was involved, subpeonaed the data on the "black box" revealing speeds in excess of 140mph immediately prior the accident. Charges were amended from wreckless driving to murder using the data stating the driver knowing acted in a manner resulting in a fatality. I'm not sure of the state or the final disposition of the case, but this clearly raises the concern of privacy issues vs right to know from the courts side.
I don't feel sorry for that collage kid at all. I do feel sorry for his victim and family.

Originally Posted by robvuk
...In the case of black box evidence being used against you, shouldn't you be held responsible for your actions? This is the problem with this world these days. Everybody wants to blame someone else for their stupidity. If you screw up, OWN UP!

How would you feel about the black box if some guy in a supercharged Honda Civic with 600rwhp slammed into your family's car, killing your kids/wife/girlfriend?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
I heard from a Chevy Tech that Onstar can be interrupted if you wear a hat made out of aluminum foil. The only problem is that it amplifies the signals from little green men, and they wil eventually zap you for excess speed.
That is supposed to be a trade secret
Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Default Dilema

Originally Posted by GMautotech
I don't feel sorry for that collage kid at all. I do feel sorry for his victim and family.

Perhaps I was not clear in my thread, given the precedence of the NC case, resulting in a premeditaed murder conviction, which is a capital offense in that state & the one which I reside. Would driving at excessive speeds, meet the criteria of premeditation, thus qualify as a capital case. The "two yoots", in New York were charged w/ second degree murder, not a capital offense, so 20 years to life may well be deserved punishment, certainly to anyone suffering the loss of a loved one. I'm all for owning up, but if someone faces capital murder charges for excessive speed & who's to decide on excessive speed, coupled by the fact there's a device in the car to be used against them, I'ld recommend lawyering up!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 AM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disable OnStar

Last edited by TN 2005 C6; 01-12-2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: No links to other Corvette Sites allowed
Old 01-09-2008, 07:29 AM
avacorvette
Burning Brakes

Location: Canonsburg home of Yenko Chevy (gone but not forgotten) Western PA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
If you do disconnect it, please let us know how it works out. I actually called a Chevy dealer and was told that OnStar is part of the safety system of the car and as such was illegal to remove. I then called OnStar and was told that it cannot be disconnected because a number of important wires actually run through the system, allowing diagnosis, unlocking of the car and other stuff. I have no idea if any of it is true but they sure seem unwilling to have it disconnected, even though I don't pay for the service.

BTW, there are lots of cars coming out with "black boxes". My 07 Camry Hybrid states openly in the owners manual that "...besides storing data useful for troubleshooting, there is a system to record data in a crash or a near car crash event. This is called an Event Data Recorder." The SRS airbage sensor contains the EDR which can record: Engine speed, brake pedal engagement, vehicle speed, to what extent the gas pedal was depressed, seat belt usage, transmission selection, etc. Bottom line...they're listening!

Chevy has had the BB's for years to record the last 50 miles you drove. You can clear the data by disconnecting the battery touching the pos and neg terminals together (after disconnect!) and wait 30 seconds before reconnect. I'm sure you can do this to all manufactures BB's. My 90 chevy Astro Van had one and they are still being used as a Diagnostic Tool.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Practically speaking, all inter-module communication in the C6 is by network. Disconnect the OnStar module from the network and it can't talk to the other modules; this disables all features - diagnosis, shutdown, etc. There's really no way to disconnect part of it. You could hack the OnStar code to make it report only certain events, but that would be a major undertaking.

Of course simply disconnecting the antenna (and, to be safe, shorting or replacing it with a dummy load) will prevent it from communicating with the cellular network, so it can't phone home (or be called).
Old 01-12-2008, 01:38 AM
G Alex
Racer

Please excuse my ignorance. I do not know where the antenna set up is for the onstar on the C-6. Can someone give me a blow by blow as how to do it ? I would sure appreciate it.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:03 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

If you are worried about OnStar tracking you then dump your car. The black box is a bigger tattletale. It will screw you at the dealer and sometimes in a court. Cell phones are a real security link also. Computers, dump them also. A geek can break into your computer any time he wants and get the info he needs. Thieves probably already broke into a company that has your SSN. The Government only has to think you are a threat now and you can be tracked. Cameras track your every move in most of our cities and public places. This world would fall apart if we didn't have computer related things.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:23 AM
WHT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Villareale
I have wanted to disable the "black box" since a saw a court case involving a college kid borrowing his father's vette w/ permission ending up in accident involving a fatality of another driver. The carnage of the scene was such the investigators concluded excessive speed was involved, subpeonaed the data on the "black box" revealing speeds in excess of 140mph immediately prior the accident. Charges were amended from wreckless driving to murder using the data stating the driver knowing acted in a manner resulting in a fatality. I'm not sure of the state or the final disposition of the case, but this clearly raises the concern of privacy issues vs right to know from the courts side.

Another case, in NC, a woman was charged w/ murder in a DUI case because she had a previous conviction. The state made the case that she knowingly operated a vehicle under the influence and considered it premeditated. That said, she was convicted of murder, & the case was made for premeditated murder, which in NC carries the death penality.

Someone may make the leap if you are knowingly operating a vehicle in such a manner that may result in fatality you could face the death penality depending on the state the offense occurs.

I'm not an attorney, so if their are attorneys on the forum, & forgive me for my lack proper legalise, but please chime in. I live in Va Beach which borders, NC, so I very clearly remeber the case of the DUI, but if she was convicted of murder because she knowingly operated avehicle in an unsafe manner, would that precedent easily apply to drivers operating vehicles at excessive speeds?
It's called taking responsibility for your actions and it seems fair to me.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:35 AM
bearmkt
Intermediate

For what it is worth I visited with a local car dealer and he confirmed that the fuse would disable Onstar. They said that they had cars stolen from their lot and they were able to find the cars later. They called Onstar and they could not be tracked, they were told they must be indoors somewhere out of reception. When they found the car the thieves have pulled the fuse and it was in the ashtray.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Wow, with all of this "paranoia" regarding On-Star, you guys must not ever use a cell phone or credit card.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey ...OnStar is a really GREAT service! OnStar is MOST benefical for people like this:

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 10-29-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteinplano
Wow, with all of this "paranoia" regarding On-Star, you guys must not ever use a cell phone or credit card.

Hey, you profile says your a security consultant, right?

Are your clients specifically CEOs, large companies, politicans and celebs... advising them on how to protect and/or maintain their security? Or, is your security consulting services available to any person who walks in off the street with money in hand?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 PM
PewtVette
Burning Brakes

I confess, I don't understand the Onstar thing. Is it used for finding McDonalds and movie theaters? Or is that different. I've seen the commercials where people have accidents in the middle of nowhere- I guess it could be handy there but I always carry a cell phone. Is it just for old people and feeble people? Tiger Woods called Onstar because he locked his keys in his Buick but he was using his cell (I haven't done that since I was 16- no offense Tiger). I'm over 40 and have never had an accident so maybe that's why I don't understand. Should I want this technology in my future cars? Could someone outline a scenario where I would want this thing?
Old 01-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

This technology could certainly be abused. I wonder when the insurance co's will have access to onstar?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:52 PM
bm bradley
Instructor

Originally Posted by G Alex
I dont want an opportunity for anyone to listen in on my conversation etc...

Get notified of new replies

To Totally disable onstar and tracking devices and black boxes ?

Old 01-12-2008, 10:10 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by PewtVette
I confess, I don't understand the Onstar thing. Is it used for finding McDonalds and movie theaters? Or is that different. I've seen the commercials where people have accidents in the middle of nowhere- I guess it could be handy there but I always carry a cell phone. Is it just for old people and feeble people? Tiger Woods called Onstar because he locked his keys in his Buick but he was using his cell (I haven't done that since I was 16- no offense Tiger). I'm over 40 and have never had an accident so maybe that's why I don't understand. Should I want this technology in my future cars? Could someone outline a scenario where I would want this thing?
I used mine twice. Both to report accidents. An out of stater reported the accident to police about 30 miles away. Police said they were heading the wrong way until OnStar called them again with my location.

I also reported a few real drunk drivers. Flame me all you want for being a rat but I got about three idiots off the road. And yes they were definitely drunk (waving across 3 lanes of traffic, aiming at high beams, driving ultra slow, etc.

The phone does work in places a cell phone can't because the signal is stronger. OnStar emergency works with a satelite I believe. I know I tried it out in the middle of Nevada and it worked.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:26 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

People are listening? No one ever listened to me before, I dont think they will start now, will they?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:47 PM
G Alex
Racer

That is funny, I must say !!!
Originally Posted by bm bradley

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Totally disable onstar and tracking devices and black boxes ?