C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Wire Removal ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Black06C6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Wire Removal ?

I would like to inspect the plugs for both correct gap and burn (visual color check). The wires have not been off and this is the first time I've seen the barrels (heat shields?) surrounding the plug wire boot.

The car has 22K miles and I tried a straight-out pull and also a little rotation while pulling. Both without successs. I didn't want to tug too hard for fear of either breaking the lead inside the wire jacket or tearing the wire out of the boot.

Two questions - First, does the metal barrel come off with the boot or remain in-place and the boot comes out of the barrel? And second, any tips/tricks for getting them off of the plug without any damage to the boot or wires?

A 'Search' turned-up only some comments regarding boot clearance when installing headers. Thanks for any feed back.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Bushong572
Burning Brakes

The metal boot comes off with the wire.........there's no special trick, just twist a little while pulling straight off.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Garys08Z06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

I recently installed KOOKS on my 05 6MN 21,000 mile and when removing the plugs I turned the wires counterclockwise at the coil first and when that portion comes off, I rotated the wire at the park plug counterclockwise and they came off. Just take your time.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

...just twist/pull ~ probably a little obstinate given the number of times the motor has heat-cycled/creating a tighter than usual seal between plug and boot. Trust me, they'll come off.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:16 PM
GlenM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Grab metal jacket with thumb and fore finger real hard until your eyes squint. Then rotate metal jacket c.w. and c.c.w. back and forth 1/4 turn quickly while pulling back so hard you almost fart! Boot should pop of shortly afterwards.

So easy a caveman could do it!

Last edited by GlenM; 02-28-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Black06C6
Intermediate

Well, between all of the physical extras called for (squinting and breaking wind) I should be able to do this.

Thanks for the feed-back. I've looked at these things everytime I'm under the hood, but never played with them. Now, with 22K miles on the car, I'd like to see how things are 'cookin' in the business section of the engine. And, most important, didn't want to have to limp to a dealer firing on seven if I broke one, to admit my ignorance.

Thanks again.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Black06C6
Well, between all of the physical extras called for (squinting and breaking wind) I should be able to do this.

Thanks for the feed-back. I've looked at these things everytime I'm under the hood, but never played with them. Now, with 22K miles on the car, I'd like to see how things are 'cookin' in the business section of the engine. And, most important, didn't want to have to limp to a dealer firing on seven if I broke one, to admit my ignorance.

Thanks again.
Coat the plug insulator with die-electric grease to keep them from baking on.When you put them back on.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug Wire Removal ?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wire Removal ?