C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for CHEAP catch can

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Leroy Amy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking for CHEAP catch can

Want a DIY catch can.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I was looking at moroso remote oil separators. They also have some with a filter mounted on top so a return line isn't needed. part # 85470
Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Do a search in the C-5 section. Lots of stuff there.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:59 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a Campbell Hausfeld air compressor separator. Get two and put them in series. Leave the stones in and set them up in reverse flow direction.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:56 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Cambell/Hausfeldt in my '05, less than $25. I DID NOT reverse flow on this installation or any other installations on turbo Dodges. The flow is from the fitting below the intake manifold thru the filter to the fitting behind the throttle body. The filter is marked for direction of flow.
Attached Images    

Last edited by haljensen; 02-29-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

My setup looks exacly like Hal's except I have to filters in series and I don't have a fancy bracket. I do get about 1/4 of whatever is in the first filter in the second one so it is doing something.

The flow direction of the CH catch can is a long debated topic. My take is that the indicated flow direction (which has the air entering into the bowl and leaving through the stone) is supposed to create a centrifuge type effect to wick the oil from the air but in our use the airflow is not fast enough to create this effect. The stone is doing all the filtering but it's the last thing the air/oil goes through before exiting the catch can. So by reversing the flow the air/oil mix enters the stone from the top, the oil gets wicked out by the stone and the air enters the bowl and leaves (into the next stone in my case).

I don't believe either method is "wrong". Obviously both ways trap oil. It's probably worth trying both ways for a period of time to see which traps more. If you're looking for a cheap catch can setup I highly recommend the CH.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$25? you blew the bank! No wonder the economy is in the state it's in! Mine was $9. Although I did get fairly lavish and have a valve and a drain straight into the oil pan.

Edit: I should have included this photo, (too busy):

Also:
I put a restrictor valve in CC #2.
Never had a clogging problem, but always watch it.
The drain & valve, put on later is at bottom of CC#2
Later I added one way valves to both.
(...I guess I did spend $25 after all!)
Route PCV directly into manifold - will give you -15 pressure vs -8 (at idle)
I have a vacuum meter on my crankcase for this reason.
I know it's a little different, but it works real well.

Last edited by kelp; 02-29-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:58 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kelp
$25? you blew the bank! No wonder the economy is in the state it's in! Mine was $9. Although I did get fairly lavish and have a valve and a drain straight into the oil pan.
The bracket, filter, 6 fittings, hoses and clamps = close to $25, I didn't keep the receipts and had some parts on hand. Still much cheaper than any Vendors setup (no Corvette tax).
Old 02-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
My setup looks exacly like Hal's except I have to filters in series and I don't have a fancy bracket. I do get about 1/4 of whatever is in the first filter in the second one so it is doing something.

The flow direction of the CH catch can is a long debated topic. My take is that the indicated flow direction (which has the air entering into the bowl and leaving through the stone) is supposed to create a centrifuge type effect to wick the oil from the air but in our use the airflow is not fast enough to create this effect. The stone is doing all the filtering but it's the last thing the air/oil goes through before exiting the catch can. So by reversing the flow the air/oil mix enters the stone from the top, the oil gets wicked out by the stone and the air enters the bowl and leaves (into the next stone in my case).

I don't believe either method is "wrong". Obviously both ways trap oil. It's probably worth trying both ways for a period of time to see which traps more. If you're looking for a cheap catch can setup I highly recommend the CH.

Hal Jensen nice looking set up!

I hesitate to post this as I think ECS or another forum vendor told me I was Full of $hit....but I'm just not 100% sure...so I'll solicit other opinions:

I put a Cambbell Hausfeld filter on my H/C C5 with stone intact, reverse flow. On my first HPDE track day after the install (about 4 months after initial install) I blew out my front seal resulting in a bad oil leak. My buddy with twin CH catch cans blew his front seal on the same event. I also had a glass fuel filter on my PCV intake hose, but it never got oil in it with my setup.

I suspect my stone got clogged with oil and my crankcase pressure at HPDE needed to go somewhere (high rpms WOT followed by high rpms no load going into turns...all day long) - thus with the stone clogged the blowby couldn't get into the intake where it would normally go...and it took the path of least resistance which was my front seal. Unfortunately my car got stolen 4 days later so I never got to investigate this further.

5 liter eater would appreciate your views (and others) - you helped teach me to tune BTW via your posts so thanks for that! I've not run a catch can on my C6 and only get a tiny bit of oil (I've swapped intakes 3 times).
Old 02-29-2008, 10:12 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

$50.00 from revtech engineering check c6 parts early feb. they were running a special

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for CHEAP catch can

Quick Reply: Looking for CHEAP catch can