C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light on after headers & tune!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
drlndrve
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default check engine light on after headers & tune!

24 hours after new headers and tune (done by vendor), my check engine light has come on. I'm sure its related to emissions. Any advice on what I should do?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by drlndrve
24 hours after new headers and tune (done by vendor), my check engine light has come on. I'm sure its related to emissions. Any advice on what I should do?
Back to the tuner and have the cause turned off...
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Have it turned off?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:43 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its most likely the rear o2 sensors headers make you run rich. It sounds like you have a bad tuner as well. I put headers with no cats and a pro tune and havent had a single problem.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Joe Lynch
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile
its most likely the rear o2 sensors headers make you run rich. It sounds like you have a bad tuner as well. I put headers with no cats and a pro tune and havent had a single problem.
The rear o2 sensors won't make him run rich.

First step, determine what the code is that was triggered. Next step, fix the problem. Could be anything from the wiring got overheated or disconnected to the sensors warming up too slowly.

Joe
Old 03-07-2008, 02:13 PM
GMRULZ
Pro

Did you retighten the header bolts after heat cycling the engine? If not then the are most likely loose allowing outside air into the exhaust stream, which will through a CEL. Cheap fix if thats it.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

I am sure it is the 0420 and 0430 codes, it is caused by the location of the cats compared to the original ones. In layman terms the reference the rear O2 sensor is looking for is a little different with the cats not running as hot as the factory unit because of the location, so not it will set off you light assuming the factory cat is bad. You cannot change the perimeters of what the VCM is looking for so the only thing that can be done is to turn the light off and flag the VCM not to illuminate the check engine light on that code.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Daniel Redfoot
Racer

Originally Posted by jabbott
I am sure it is the 0420 and 0430 codes, it is caused by the location of the cats compared to the original ones. In layman terms the reference the rear O2 sensor is looking for is a little different with the cats not running as hot as the factory unit because of the location, so not it will set off you light assuming the factory cat is bad. You cannot change the perimeters of what the VCM is looking for so the only thing that can be done is to turn the light off and flag the VCM not to illuminate the check engine light on that code.

Get yourself a scan gauge tool, (not expensive) it will tell you the codes which will very likely be dirver and passenger side, rear o2 sensors, - the gauge will allow you to clear the codes, thus turning off the Check eng light , no problem-
Good luck
Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 PM
chrisf9801
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

There ya go. This was my exact problem and exact solution.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 PM
drlndrve
Advanced

When inspection comes around (TX), will I need to have the original parameters put back in, then go back and have it retuned?
Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 AM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

When inspection comes around (TX), will I need to have the original parameters put back in, then go back and have it retuned?

Your good to go after you turn off the CEL.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:28 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

The ECM may throw a cel for the first 100 miles or so, until it recalculates. You can erase the code and turn off the light by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. If it continues to throw a code after 100 miles, return it to your tuner. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Joe Lynch
Pro

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Until you read the codes, all anyone can offer is speculation. Your CEL may not even be related to the header install.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:46 PM
smooth is fast
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe Lynch
Until you read the codes, all anyone can offer is speculation. Your CEL may not even be related to the header install.
How did you get on this website!!

Get notified of new replies

To check engine light on after headers & tune!

Quick Reply: check engine light on after headers & tune!