C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking with a cross beam adapter

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:18 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Jacking with a cross beam adapter

I'm considering purchasing a cross beam adapter to jack the C6. I especially like the prospect of being able to jack the car up with the cross beam adapter on the jack saddle, then place jack stands under the cross beam adapter, and remove the floor jack. However, my floor jack does not have a hole in the saddle to bolt the cross beam adapter to. Are cross beam adapters safe to use without being secured to the jack saddle?

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by i_york
I'm considering purchasing a cross beam adapter to jack the C6. I especially like the prospect of being able to jack the car up with the cross beam adapter on the jack saddle, then place jack stands under the cross beam adapter, and remove the floor jack. However, my floor jack does not have a hole in the saddle to bolt the cross beam adapter to. Are cross beam adapters safe to use without being secured to the jack saddle?

Cheers,
Ian.
I've been jacking my C5 and now my C6 in the middle of the front or rear crossbeams with no adaptors nearly weekly for 6 years now with no problems. I put the stands on the ends of the crossmember but leave the jack in place with very slight tension just as a backup in case the stands slip (which has happened on my slightly sloped driveway).

Your results may vary...but I say save your money.

The key is a low jack. I use the cheap $79 racing jack from Harbor Freight, 6 years old and tons of use and still going strong.

I have a crew of about a dozen guys who race with me who do exactly the same thing since 2005 (corvette challenge) by the way.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:35 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I've been jacking my C5 and now my C6 in the middle of the front or rear crossbeams with no adaptors nearly weekly for 6 years now with no problems. I put the stands on the ends of the crossmember but leave the jack in place with very slight tension just as a backup in case the stands slip (which has happened on my slightly sloped driveway).

Your results may vary...but I say save your money.

The key is a low jack. I use the cheap $79 racing jack from Harbor Freight, 6 years old and tons of use and still going strong.

I have a crew of about a dozen guys who race with me who do exactly the same thing since 2005 (corvette challenge) by the way.
That's exactly the jack I've got! Except, I paid $190 for mine (I'm in the UK).

According to every source I've seen, jacking from the middle of the cross beams is a no-no. I can get a cross-beam adapter for about $60 shipped, but now you've got me thinking... is it really safe to jack in the middle of the cross beams?

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by i_york
That's exactly the jack I've got! Except, I paid $190 for mine (I'm in the UK).

According to every source I've seen, jacking from the middle of the cross beams is a no-no. I can get a cross-beam adapter for about $60 shipped, but now you've got me thinking... is it really safe to jack in the middle of the cross beams?

Cheers,
Ian.

I've also read those jacks are junk...you read all sorts of things here.

I've been doing both for 6 years almost weekly as I race a lot. I can't say if your results will be the same as me and all my buddies...at $60 it's not a lot of money if it makes you feel better!

We lug our tires and that jack in the backs of our cars to the track, so to us less is more, no room for a cross adaptor and I'd be afraid you'd have to drive the car on ramps before it would all fit! What a pain that would be...
Old 03-09-2008, 07:59 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'd be afraid you'd have to drive the car on ramps before it would all fit! What a pain that would be...
True... hadn't thought of that. Might be more hassle than it's worth. If it's 'safe' jacking from the centre of the cross beams, that's what I'll do. I'll probably only have occasion to jack the car a handful of times anyway.

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:06 PM
UmCanesZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a cross beam adapter, except I call it a 2x4. You can jack them up on the cross beams no problem. But if you are worried, a 2x4 works nicely.

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking with a cross beam adapter

Quick Reply: Jacking with a cross beam adapter