C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Shoes - TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 PM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Shoes - TPMS question

After 13.7K the F1 Supercars are at the tread wear indicator and I'm getting some new shoes for the C6 tomorrow. Along with a patchboy kit and a lucky charm. Upsizing a little, (255/40ZR-18 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2) (295/35ZR-19 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2)

The tire shop lists charges for TPMS of $4.38 per tire, so my question for you folks in the know is why would TPMS need to be reset if the shop is just changing tires and not wheels? I would think the sensors wouldn't be far enough away from the car for long enough to lose their settings?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:23 PM
SvetteC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-17-2008, 07:26 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

The sensors can be 1,000 miles away from the car for 5 years and, if you never registered any other sensors, when you get them within 30 or 40 feet of the car they'll be picked up again by the receiver in the TPMS computer in the car.

The TPMS can "remember" 4 sensor ID#'s. Nothing wipes them out of the TPMS memory except doing a relearn procedure - as soon as the first sensor is logged into memory during a relearn, the others are wiped out. Well....like any computerized system, some file could get corrupted.

Your tire installer will probably just do a relearn procedure after mounting up your new tires, but it may not be necessary.

If the sensors stay on the same corner of the car as they originally on, then nothing will have to done.

If the sensors are mixed up, they'll still work, but the DIC display of pressure won't correlate with where the sensor actually is, i.e., if the DIC says "Left Front 28 psi" it might really be talking about the Right Rear.

So.....don't worry about it. You could ask the tire installer to keep the sensors in the same corner and not mess with a relearn, or just let them mount them up and do a relearn afterwards.

Bob
Old 03-17-2008, 07:36 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

BTW, the extra fee charged for working on wheels/tires with sensors is because they have to be extra careful when dismounting/mounting the tires because it's fairly easy to break a sensor during the procedure.

Below are a couple links to videos of doing a relearn procedure that your tire shop will do if necessary. I'm kind of long winded in these, but maybe it will help explain the sensors and the TPMS that we've got in the C6.

Bob

Old 03-17-2008, 08:10 PM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'd seen you post the vids before, those are helpful. I'd considered a Bartec but I need one so infrequently it just didn't make sense. I guess I shouldn't be surprised they charge additional fees to the $20/$25 per wheel (plus valve stems, plus disposal fee, etc.) they're already getting to be careful with the sensors, but I am, a little.

I certainly do appreciate the detailed response to my question!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Post a pic when you get 'em on.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:02 AM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had my tires replaced and they mounted them on the same corners they came off of. No issues with the TPM's.
I did pay extra to have them ride matched or road force balanced at my request. This method of balancing simulates a road test and can correct lateral run out. This took about 30 minutes a tire.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:59 PM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The good, the bad, and the ugly. Had the tires put on today. So when I go out to inspect the car I find the wheels filthy in grease and grime. So I get a clean rag to wipe them down and inspect them and discover that the technician at this place has nicked both front wheels into and through the clearcoat.

What's screwy, is the shop manager said they'll send the first one out for repair, and replace it if I'm not satisfied with the repair. But they won't do anything about the other one. I'm having surgery tomorrow and can't deal with this for two weeks, I didn't need the aggravation. I'm not going to say much more about this or name the place until we've reached a dead end on peaceful negotiations.

First impressions of the tires? They're really nice looking tires and much smoother riding than the supercars. No comparison going over railroad tracks and bridge joints, much better. But at low to moderate speed (25-45) these suckers are LOUD! I was looking for a superduty on my tail! I'm hoping as the tires break in they get a bit more quiet. The noise tones down as speed goes up.

I'll let you know if these noisy suckers quiet down, and how the wheel repairs go, but it will be a while thanks to my surgery.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:52 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

StarJack-

Good luck with your surgery, man.

As for your tire woes, I really feel for you, cause I honestly think you got totally screwed by this shop.

First, they charged extra for 'being careful' around your TPMS sensors (which should be routine if they actually gave a crap), then they hacked-up your wheels and returned them to you dirty enough that you couldn't see the nicks in the wheels - either cause they just don't care, or it was done deliberately to hide the damage. And really, there's no guarantee they put ALL the tires back on the correct corners...

I suggest that you noticeably change the inflation pressures in ONE rear and ONE front, then check the DIC readout for those new pressures to see if they're where you expect them to be, just to confirm that they indeed put them back in the correct locations.

As for the noisy tires - I doubt you can count on them getting LESS noisy as a wear pattern sets in, but only time will tell there. A lot of C6 owners have commented that those tires can be very noisy, while others say otherwise. I guess you will get to find out yourself, one way or the other...
Old 03-18-2008, 05:45 PM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks CrystalRacer! The total charge for mounting/balancing etc., was $126, a little high but I went back to them because they had done a superb job on 20" Diablo wheels on my 300C last year. Not a nick in those and they cleaned them up. Second time was not a charm.

I did verify the sensors are reading for the correct position, because none of the pressures matched. I'm kind of **** about having them match so I had to add a pound or two to a couple tires and bleed a little out of a couple.

Thanks for the well wishes!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 PM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Well the surgery went well, and the tire store did an excellent job on repairing the two wheels they damaged. These suckers still sound like a 4x4 on really smooth blacktop, but they don't seem as loud now on regular or older asphalt roads. I've only put about 300 miles on them so I still haven't pushed them very hard. I will say this, they will 'chirp' loudly when they do start to break loose, unlike the supercars which didn't make any noise evening when spinning. I still can't get over how much smoother the ride is over irregular pavement compared to the RF's!

So now it's patchboy and compressor, or worst case OnStar/Cell and a flatbed.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 PM
ZIPNBYU
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Charge

This charge is not for the replacement of the wheel sensor, it is the proccedure now at several tire repair centers nation wide. The fee is for the out portion of the sensor, it is a small aluminum piece on the outside of the valve stem.I just had the same thing at Discount tire, the tech said starting next year they will no longer remove a tire with out replacing this part, as of 2009 all auto's sold in america have to have a tire sensor monitor system, discount repaired my tire and this piece for free.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Very glad to hear the surgery went well - I hope you heal up quickly and completely.

Also, glad to hear the tire shop fixed up your wheels.

It sounds like except for noise at slow speed things are working out well.

I also agree with ZIPNBYU that the $4.38 per tire was for an overhaul kit. These typically have a new grommet, new valve stem core, and a new retaining nut.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To New Shoes - TPMS question

Quick Reply: New Shoes - TPMS question