C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT5 ok?

Old 04-26-2008, 07:49 PM
logansrun
Blue on Black
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DOT5 ok?

Is dot5 ok to use for the clutch in an 08?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, DOT 5 is fully synthetic and doesn't mix with DOT 3 and 4 so you end up with little pockets of old DOT 3 and 4 which become totally saturated with moisture. DOT 5 is great stuff, it doesn't absorb water and has a high boiling point but they recommend that you completely clean out (meaning flush with alcohol and dry) any remnants of DOT 3 or 4 before pouring in the 5.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:52 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Enough
No, DOT 5 is fully synthetic and doesn't mix with DOT 3 and 4 so you end up with little pockets of old DOT 3 and 4 which become totally saturated with moisture. DOT 5 is great stuff, it doesn't absorb water and has a high boiling point but they recommend that you completely clean out (meaning flush with alcohol and dry) any remnants of DOT 3 or 4 before pouring in the 5.
DOT 5 is silicone, not synthetic. There are plenty of DOT 4 synthetic brake fluids compatible with regular brake fluid. But you are correct, DOT 5 doesn't absorb water allowing it to maintain a very high dry and wet boiling point. However, it does absorb air easily requiring frequent bleeding...not good for a street car.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:15 AM
hdeyong
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm changing all the flex hoses on my '76, and will change all the fluid while I'm at it. It has DOT 3 or 4, and that's what I'm going to put back in, because I plan to change it every couple of years.
But, back in about '98, I completely rebuilt the brakes in my Triumph Spitfire, (don't laugh, it's a fun little car), and put in silicone fluid, after flushing with alcohol and drying it out. It's been there ever since, have never had to add any, it has a hard pedal, it's in the clutch hydraulics too, and have never had any problem of any kind.
I'm thinking the material used in brake components has changed, and if manufacturers don't recommend it, I wouldn't use it.
I'm converting the Triumph to a solid rear axle, and after installing new wheel cylinders, figuring out a flex hose, etc, will have to bleed the brakes. I'll flush the DOT 5 out and go back to 3, and just change it regularly. Why take chances?
Old 06-07-2020, 07:26 AM
pragmatic
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Regular DOT 5 is no good you could use DOT 5.1, but it does not get you anything over DOT4 for the clutch. On the clutch I use DOT 4. For the brakes DOT 5.1 which has higher boiling point and lower viscosity has some advantages and is what I use.

Get notified of new replies

To DOT5 ok?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DOT5 ok?