C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't Buy Pulstar Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:32 PM
SANJU100
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Buy Pulstar Spark Plugs

COMPLEATELY USELESS
So, i heard a lot about them. i read all the threads and all that stuff. majority of the people who were posting or replying to the threads, never bought these plugs to begain with.
like everyone else, i wanted to test them out and see for myself if they are worth it or not. i did not use them on my corvette, as its my baby and nothing touches it if it is not worth it. so, i put it in my Chevy Cavalier.
first of all, my Cavalier has about 40,000 miles on it and i have not changed spark plugs on it, LIKE EVER. i knew that it does not matter what kind of plugs i put in, it will give me a little better fuel economy. so, i tested out my car with pulstar plugs.

-how i did my testing?
i would ride my car and each time i would fill up gas, i would record how many miles i drove and how much fuel it took me to fill up the tank. i did that for a month. i took the average of all the data. my car, amazingly, was averaging 30mpg. understand that i am very bad when it comes to spending on gas. i usually turn off my car if i just missed the green light and i know i would spend 2-3 min until i go again.

so, i switched the plugs, since i don't know where they plugs were, i bought my buddy a 12 pack (worth about $20 with tax and recycling fee) and he switched out the plugs for me.

WHAT A WASTE. i now average about the same. about 30-30.1mpg. i am sure even if i would have gone with $1 plugs, i would have seen the same results (which is nothing)

am i gonna give back that company the plugs so they can refund my money? hell no. i sent $13 on shipping, $20 to install, and when i have them taken out and other ****. i would end up loosing $50.

thats the idea behind that company. they are pretty smart and they know that majority of the people don't change the plugs when they are suppose to. they know when they buy the plugs, they would pay for shipment, majority of them would pay of installation, and after spending all the money and effort, no one would be willing to return the plugs as they would loose more than they would gain. the idea is pretty simple. i am just one of those people who have to test it out myself, so i did.

by no means i am saying be satisfied by my result. if you wanna learn it the hard way, buy them and test it out yourself. if it cannot give you a better fuel economy than a crappy stock plugs, i highly doubt it would give you a better HP. the whole idea is that these plugs burn better, if so, i should have seen atleast 3-4% better fuel efficency. which i did not.

again, its my personal test and i am writing this to inform people about it. if you disagree, don't write me hate messages.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

no hate message. as they say, ymmv (your mileage may vary).

But, and it's an imporant but: a forum vendor tuner from Florida did test these plugs, acting as an independent lab. And their findings don't agree with yours. Still, your real-world view does count.

Just trying to offer some balance to this.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good write up. I would have never tried them but it was good to hear from a real buyer and the result.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:52 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

But, and it's an imporant but: a forum vendor tuner from Florida did test these plugs, acting as an independent lab. And their findings don't agree with yours. Still, your real-world view does count.

I seem to recall that the tuner in Florida proved that Pulstar plugs made no difference.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

You should have bought a tornado too...
Old 05-19-2008, 08:00 PM
SANJU100
Instructor

the florida tuner found very little difference between NGK plugs and pulstar plugs. NGK cost $1.98/per plug. Pulstar cost $25/per plug.
if any one tells me that gaining 1HP at the expence of $200 is worth it, than good for them.
you will increase HP and fuel efficeny over stock, all the time regardless of the company.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:21 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Now this post is awesome.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:07 PM
SANJU100
Instructor

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
You should have bought a tornado too...
see, its this kind of replies that i was worried about

lol, kidding i know that would have been funny. spending $150 for nothing. i don't know how these companies manage to get away with all these false advertisement.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:59 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SANJU100
see, its this kind of replies that i was worried about

lol, kidding i know that would have been funny. spending $150 for nothing. i don't know how these companies manage to get away with all these false advertisement.
"There's a sucker born every minute”
Old 05-19-2008, 10:55 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

its a con
Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe they only work if you put a magnet around your fuel line first to "ionize" the fuel

Nah, seriously, thanks for the post, but what were you expecting?? Its a spark plug; it ignites fuel, just like stock...
Old 05-19-2008, 11:26 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by glennhl
I seem to recall that the tuner in Florida proved that Pulstar plugs made no difference.
Actually, I thought he said there was a noticeable difference, in the lab. But that it wouldn't translate to much on the street. Possibly longer life.

see this: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1827136

Last edited by AORoads; 05-19-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 AM
SANJU100
Instructor

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Maybe they only work if you put a magnet around your fuel line first to "ionize" the fuel

Nah, seriously, thanks for the post, but what were you expecting?? Its a spark plug; it ignites fuel, just like stock...
i don't know. may be mpg jump from 30mpg to 32mpg. they have a very attractive web-site and i just had to try it.
never again. if it is too good to be true, it really is
they claim the sparks are 20,000 times bigger, may be, but it is useless
Old 05-20-2008, 12:08 AM
SANJU100
Instructor

Actually, I thought he said there was a noticeable difference, in the lab. But that it wouldn't translate to much on the street. Possibly longer life.

see this: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1827136
here we go, the post says:
"Base pull w/NGK TR-55's 314.20 rwhp with no knock retard except a very brief 2degree pull."

"Pulstar plug run 2 show's 313 RWHP for a 6 hp gain, all conditions being equal except the 4 derees of timing retard was not as drastic until at the peak of the pull. We did pull 3 w/out changing anything and had 6 degrees timing pulled due to knock & had 309.95 RWHP"

"Conclusion on the Pulstar plugs for a C5-C6 is that we do not reccomend them until the problem of spark knock is solved for a high compression ratio engine w/knock sensors."

again, don't write me hate mail. i may not have read the whole thing or am missing parts of reading the form.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SANJU100
the florida tuner found very little difference between NGK plugs and pulstar plugs. NGK cost $1.98/per plug. Pulstar cost $25/per plug.
if any one tells me that gaining 1HP at the expence of $200 is worth it, than good for them.
you will increase HP and fuel efficeny over stock, all the time regardless of the company.
The funny thing is 1 hp is literally unmeasurable.

A dyno, and I don't care if it's one of the so-called "cheap" ones at $50k or one of "mack-daddy" $500,000 dynos, isn't precise enough to be accurate to 1 hp in any sort of repeatable way.

Things like how the car is strapped down, air pressure in the tires, rear gearing, etc... all play a part in coming up with the HP/TQ numbers.

To think ANYONE would spend 25 bucks per spark plug... come on...

P.T. Barnum is laughing from the grave, pointing and saying "See? I told you."

Amazing what people can be tricked into buying by simply turning off their common sense switch.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well, San, I'm glad you experimented. But based on what I read, I wouldn't have. Not at 25 a plug. Maybe 2 a plug.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:37 AM
SANJU100
Instructor

Well, San, I'm glad you experimented. But based on what I read, I wouldn't have. Not at 25 a plug. Maybe 2 a plug.
I agree with you compleately. but you know some people still want to try it out either way. i knew it was too good to be true, claining they increase HP by 10%. but i had to try it just so i don't have doubt in my mind that i didn't try it out myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Don't Buy Pulstar Spark Plugs

Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM
SANJU100
Instructor

FILLED UP MY TANK TODAY. took out my data work sheet and pluged in the numbers. this time i averaged only 29 mpg. thats down -1 from before spark plugs swap. but again, this time i might have stayed too long at the red light or forgot to turn my car off.

this comapny is really useless. they are full of
Old 05-20-2008, 01:30 PM
jdfox678
Instructor

I tried the recommended brisk plugs once in my cobra....it actually ran worse and had less power. I'll stick with NGK.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt
To think ANYONE would spend 25 bucks per spark plug... come on...

P.T. Barnum is laughing from the grave, pointing and saying "See? I told you."

Amazing what people can be tricked into buying by simply turning off their common sense switch.

They must have figured everyone has now forgotten the "Splitfire" BS from years ago.....

Quick Reply: Don't Buy Pulstar Spark Plugs