C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Steering Wheel Controls

Old 10-23-2008, 07:19 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
To connect to the radio what will I need? I have never removed the radio so what am I looking for to connect? Are there pins that are marked? As long as my radio will work this will be a winter project.
There is a grey connector at the back of the radio with 2 missing wires and terminals at locations A6 and A7. That is where the circuits for the radio control go. The terminals needed are 12146447. And those wires will need to be run all the way to the steering column coil.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:31 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GMautotech
There is a grey connector at the back of the radio with 2 missing wires and terminals at locations A6 and A7. That is where the circuits for the radio control go. The terminals needed are 12146447. And those wires will need to be run all the way to the steering column coil.
Thank you

Looks like I have a new winter downtime project.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:50 AM
eaglebusman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radio controls

I just installed a 2007 wheel with the radio switches in my 2005. Do you know if the 2005 radio will be compatable with these controls? On another note, I think I may have a bad clockspring as I now have an airbag light and the horn doesn't work. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:13 PM
belize
Advanced

I got the radio control install completed today.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by belize
i got the radio control install completed today.

And?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:58 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

I used a 5k potentiometer connected to the radio to simulate the controls but it had no effect. This was on a 06 3lt radio. At this point I'm assuming at least an 07 radio is needed for this to work.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:58 PM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, just wondering what ever happened to this issue? Who was able to complete it and get everything to work properly?

I have an 06 with BOSE and navi, so I'm assuming I have the correct deck (will just have to get it reprogrammed as mentioned earlier in this thread).

I guess what I'm confused on is what are all the parts I need to get, and what is a clock spring? How will the steering wheel from an 07 communicated with my 06 non radio control column? What transfers the current? I'm assuming it's not just wires running from the steering wheel to the radio as the wires would get pulled or tangled when turning the wheel?

I can get the 07 steering wheel new for around $230 bucks, but can you guys please tell me what other parts I'll need? I would love to order everything and get this project going.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Now I wonder if steering wheel controls will work on an 06? I didn't realize that they never had that option.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:54 PM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Now I wonder if steering wheel controls will work on an 06? I didn't realize that they never had that option.
Ahhh....so you guys only converted non steering wheel optioned 07's?? No one has done a pre 07 conversion then I'm guessing? Is that correct?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:08 PM
NABLNKC6
Racer

sounds like some got these to work in earlier models besides 07, but can someone please post the instructions step by step?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2008, 11:09 PM
TAL
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:23 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by TapOut
Ahhh....so you guys only converted non steering wheel optioned 07's?? No one has done a pre 07 conversion then I'm guessing? Is that correct?
I did the Steering Wheel Control (SWC) conversion on my 2006 3LT/BOSE/NAV.

I ordered and installed:
*2007 steering wheel w/radio controls
*2007 clockspring (for cars with radio controls)

The 2007 Clockspring has two ends. One set of end connectors connects under the steering wheel airbag, and the other clockspring end has a pair of connectors that connects to wiring on the bottom end of the steering column under the dash. There are two sets of plugs on each end of the clockspring... a set for the airbag and another plug for the SWC/Horn/ShiftPaddles (if your car is an automatic)

The airbag wiring to the new clockspring is straight-forward plug and play on both the steering wheel end and the column end. No mods needed.

The SWC/horn/paddleshift plug however is a different story. On the steering wheel end, the new plug just plugs in to the matching plug on the 2007 wheel -- couldn't be easier. BUT, on the under-steering-column end, its not so easy. The wires for the horn/paddleshift exist in the 2006 wiring, and while not plug and play (plugs are different) its easy enough to tap/splice the horn and paddleshift wires to the existing wiring. The problem is the 3 wires for the SWC: the SWC source wire, the SWC signal wire, and SWC illumination wires simply do not exist in the 2006 wiring loom, and must be fabricated.

I spliced the SWC illumination wire to the illumination wire connected to the HUD control switch on the LH dash pod. I extended the two SWC wires (source wire and signal wire) and ran them to the back of the radio. This is where we hit another issue: the two needed cavities for SWC's in the radio plug (A5 and A6, if I remember correctly), are EMPTY on 2006 cars, so we cant just splice into an existing wire. So now we have to find the correct terminals, solder them to the SWC extension wires and pop them into the radio connector.

Ok, finally got all that done, and the SWC buttons illuminate properly, but do NOT work to change stations, change tracks, nor control volume. Nothing works. Damn.

My theory is that, along with a 2007 steering wheel and a 2007 clockspring, you also need a 2007 or later BOSE (or uplevel enabled) radio to utilize the signal from the SWC.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:50 AM
BigSlick
Melting Slicks

I don’t know about knowledgeable, but I did find some answers today. I decided to use my car as a guinea pig, and it was slow at work today. I can say that this IS POSSIBLE but it’s more work than I thought it would be. Of course you will need a new coil assembly at the top of the steering column and switch. But the radio switch bezel is not available separate from the steering wheel. And the wiring harness from the switch to the steering column coil can only be acquired with the steering wheel too. The vehicle harness from the radio to the steering column does NOT contain the 2 circuits needed for the switch. Some terminals would be needed and 2 wires run to the radio along with running a lamp dimming circuit to the column.

The radio will not make use of the new switch inputs until it’s reconfigured. The base U66 option with a Delco amplifier will not work. The premium U65 using a Bose amp will work. Using a Tech2 I had to change the option configuration in the radio from the U66 to the U65 and then the switches worked. I don’t know what issues there could be from telling the radio it’s using a Bose amp when it’s actually a Delco? But everything seems to work ok. I have a feeling some of the difference is with the EQ settings. I know Bose likes to use their own presets programmed into their amps.

Now I just need to decide if I want to spend the $$$ on a new steering wheel…

thx for the write up....
Old 12-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Folks, don't waste your money. You will never use these controls. I had a 2006 and wondered about converting to the radio controls then. Now that I have a 2007, I never use them. It is just too easy to reach the radio.

Besides, the controls are on the right side of the wheel. To be really handy they should have been on the left side. How many of you actually drive with your right hand on the wheel enough that you would use the controls? If you are like me your right had is resting on the shift lever.
The following users liked this post:
TCW (08-11-2023)
Old 12-25-2008, 02:57 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Ok, finally got all that done, and the SWC buttons illuminate properly, but do NOT work to change stations, change tracks, nor control volume. Nothing works. Damn.

My theory is that, along with a 2007 steering wheel and a 2007 clockspring, you also need a 2007 or later BOSE (or uplevel enabled) radio to utilize the signal from the SWC.
The car I tried and failed with was an 06 3lt without nav. So if your nav radio wouldn't work and my bose 6 disc failed I guess at least 07 is needed.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:27 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Originally Posted by MARSC6
The car I tried and failed with was an 06 3lt without nav. So if your nav radio wouldn't work and my bose 6 disc failed I guess at least 07 is needed.
I'm thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted by Phantom
Folks, don't waste your money. You will never use these controls. I had a 2006 and wondered about converting to the radio controls then. Now that I have a 2007, I never use them. It is just too easy to reach the radio.
I had a whole $25 invested in my conversion and I probably wouldn't do it again.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:55 PM
spdmn75
Burning Brakes

my whole reason for wanting to do this was for hooking it up to an aftermarket adapter and then to my Kenwood 8120. I would think this would still work based on the other posts. The bottom buttons on that radio are very small and if you tilt the screen to a negative position they sink in even further. The steering wheel buttons soon became the best idea for me to try.

Get notified of new replies

To Adding Steering Wheel Controls

Old 07-12-2009, 05:09 AM
La Orange
Pro

:???? crazy:
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 PM
spdmn75
Burning Brakes

Well I installed it and it wasn't crazy! Works great, one of the best mods I have done
Old 08-02-2009, 07:23 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Does anyone who wants to upgrade want to trade their stock cover without switches for the actual controls and cover? I have a new wheel to swap on my 05, and it has the controls, which I don't want.

Even trade!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding Steering Wheel Controls