C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Tire Sensors 2008 C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:52 PM
RagtopMike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Tire Sensors 2008 C6

What is the best TPMS tool for the 08 C6 sensors? I barrowed a Bartec DXR+ and it will not work. Anybody using a trackside or any other type on the 08 sensors. Called dealer and they tell me I need to bring it in and hook up to a Tech2. Any other options?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Old 08-27-2008, 06:20 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Well.....you haven't explained exactly what it is you're trying to do. Did you get new wheels and tires with a different set of sensors? Did you get new tires mounted and they messed up the position of your sensors so you need to register them again? Are you just trying to do some diagnostics on the sensors to check them?

I'm not familiar with the Bartec DXR+, but considering that our sensors are triggered by the simplest radio frequency transmission of any sensors out there (a 5 to 7 second continuous wave transmission from the tool), I don't know why virtually any of the radio transmission tools shouldn't work.

I assume you're trying to register a new set of sensors. Did you get a honk of the horn when you put the car in the learn mode? If you didn't get a honk of the horn when you initiated the learn mode, then it wasn't properly in the learn mode, so the tool wouldn't work to register the sensors.

Go ahead and take it in to the dealer - they'll probably charge you 50 bucks to do a job you should easily be able to do with that Bartec tool you have. There is absolutely no need to hook up a Tech 2 if all you want to do is register a different set of sensors after swapping wheels.

I'm almost positive that the Bartec tool should work great for you. I'd say you should go out and make sure the car is properly in the learn mode before you start the relearn procedure - if that's what you're trying to do.

Bob
Old 08-27-2008, 06:54 PM
RagtopMike
Instructor

Default Bartec

We used the tool on a 06 and it worked perfectly... But when we tried on the 08 (new wheels and sensors) it would not get past the first tire. I am sure the car is in learn mode and then the front left set but we could not move on from there. Both local dealers say that you need to hook up to a tech2 on the 08 models. I have a problem I change wheels like some do unwear and want to get the correct tool for me and my friends

Last edited by RagtopMike; 08-27-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-2008, 07:26 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Your dealers don't know what they're talking about - you DO NOT need a Tech 2 to register a set of sensors. Every C6 from 2005 to 2009 uses the same sensors and the same relearn procedure.

If you're swapping stock wheels for another set of stock wheels, that Bartec tool should work fine for you. All these tools eat batteries, and it sounds like you may just need to put a fresh, strong, battery in the tool. Don't use rechargeable batteries - especially NiCads.

You haven't fully explained what you're doing, except that swap to a lot of different sets of wheels.

I bet you're trying to register sensors in a set of iForge or HRE wheels - is that right?

If you're trying to register sensors that are mounted deep inside exotic aftermarket wheels with bands or brackets, no tools are going to work well for you when the tires are mounted on the wheels. If the sensors are mounted internally (instead of in the OE fashion with the valve stem sticking out of the hole in the wheel rim), the best way to register them is before you mount the tires. Otherwise you may need to break the bead and get the tool inside the tire so the antenna of the tool is within a couple inches of the sensor.

As far as the correct tool - you can spend from $114 to $1000+++. They all work the same (transmit on 125 kHz) and they all have a limited transmission range. You're going to have a problem with exotic wheels using any tool out there. As I mentioned, our C6 has very simple to trigger sensors and virtually any radio frequency tool should work to trigger our sensors, so that Bartec DXR+ should work as well as anything else for C6 sensors.

BTW, I just added a link to a video where a simple Bartec type tool is used on a C6. That Bartec tool you have should work in the exact same manner. As I said above however, if you have some exotic wheels that don't mount the sensors in the OE manner you're going to have problems.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 08-27-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added video link
Old 08-27-2008, 07:33 PM
RagtopMike
Instructor

Default Sensors

I have purchased a set of WCC 3 pc wheels mounted and balanced with invo's... I will try a new battery and see if that helps. I do not want to dismount tires if I dont have to. Thanks for the Info.

Mike
Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know what your 3 piece wheels are like, but I guess the sensors are mounted inside and not in the OE manner.

If the sensors are mounted with a bracket they are probably right under the valve stem area. If they are mounted with bands/straps, the sensors could be anywhere around the circumference of the barrel. You need to know exactly where the sensors are so you can get the antenna of the tool as close as possible to the sensor when you try to trigger it.

With the stock sensor you put the antenna of the tool on the rubber sidewall of the tire right next to the valve stem to shoot the signal the shortest distance to the sensor with no metal in the way.

Some owners that have the sensors deep inside exotic wheels have had luck shooting the signal through the tread section of the tire - but again, you need to know exactly where the sensor is mounted in the wheel to get the antenna as close as possible, and if there are steel belts they will inhibit the signal propagation.

Good luck!

Bob
Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 AM
RagtopMike
Instructor

I tried everything last night with no luck... I will need to take to my tire guy and have them dismounted and find the sensors. I can get the front left to work but not the front right.

Thanks for the Info
Mike
Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

BEZ06 is the expert on the subject but I wonder if you're letting either the TPMS tool or the car's learn mode time out. Your TPMS tool may be different. I use a Schrader-Bridgeport TPMS tool and occasionally I've had trouble getting the last (LR) wheel/sensor to register. When I press the test button on my TPMS tool it searches for the correct frequency and takes longer...if I press the select button repeatedly it finally illuminates only the #1 light showing the tool is transmitting a continuous wave signal that the C6 requires. Make sure you're transmitting in continuous wave mode instead of searching for the correct frequency at each wheel.

After I successfully register a wheel sensor, the green light on my TPMS tool stays on but it may not be transmitting. After doing each wheel, I wait until the green light on the TPMS tool goes out and then I press the test button again to excite the next sensor.

As mentioned, every so often I have trouble registering the last wheel sensor. When this happens I let the green light go out and then I press the select button repeatedly (cycling through the modes) until the #1 light illuminates showing its in continuous wave mode...then it seems to work.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Tire Sensors 2008 C6

Quick Reply: TPMS Tire Sensors 2008 C6