C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1/CTS-V Rear Into Our C6??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:53 AM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZR1/CTS-V Rear Into Our C6??

The rear case has been the weak point in drag racing a C6 since it came out. We've all seen or heard of a few instances of wheel hop completely destroying the rear and/or transmission. With the recent occurance of a forum friend's driveline destruction, it had me wondering what's a better option. Reading up on the new ZR1 and CTS-V it got me thinking about what GM did to make their rears more reliable. The use of a stronger case and unequal half shafts.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the rear from the ZR1 to fit into a standard C6? What about the CTS-V's? I don't know if they use the same type though. Anyway, I figure with the ZR1 still being a C6 that it would certainly be compatible, even if it needed minor reworking. If the actual rears themselves cannot be fit what about switching to unequal shafts? Would that be possible. I honestly don't know too much about it (which is why I'm asking) but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. If I had the money I wouldn't mind being the guinea pig for such an experiment. Have any of the aftermarket builders looked into this? Any plans to?

discuss......
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Evilways
Melting Slicks

The rear from the Camaro will be the one to swap to...they done "extensive drag strip testing to eliminate wheel hop and breakage due to launching" on it...but they'll void your warranty if you break it drag racing.......
Old 10-14-2008, 03:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You could send your trans and diff to some place like RPM or Rockland Standard Gear to have it rebuilt to be almost bullet proof
Old 10-14-2008, 04:05 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

Originally Posted by Evilways
The rear from the Camaro will be the one to swap to...they done "extensive drag strip testing to eliminate wheel hop and breakage due to launching" on it...but they'll void your warranty if you break it drag racing.......
That's right I forgot about the Camaro.

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
You could send your trans and diff to some place like RPM or Rockland Standard Gear to have it rebuilt to be almost bullet proof
I know there are aftermarket builders that can make a very strong driveline for you but if these GM built rears are available direct it may be a nice {cheaper?} option.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1/CTS-V Rear Into Our C6??

Quick Reply: ZR1/CTS-V Rear Into Our C6??