C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling issue

Old 04-16-2010, 05:34 PM
FastEddie09C6
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

what year is everyones car? I have an 09 coupe and it just started to come on for me....one day the warning will come up other days it doesnt its kinda strange.....havent had time to take it to the dealer but i am going to on monday
Old 07-11-2011, 01:28 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by FastEddie09C6
what year is everyones car? I have an 09 coupe and it just started to come on for me....one day the warning will come up other days it doesnt its kinda strange.....havent had time to take it to the dealer but i am going to on monday
Ditto !
Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 AM
jhorton58
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 06, and if your 09 is still under warranty, take it in, but, 2 years ago, the dealership kept mine for months talking about waiting on a new wiring harness that didn't appear and I eventually replaced a 10.00 clip on the steering assembly plug for the telescoping part of the steering wheel and I have not had any problems since. Mine said there was a problem with active handling and traction control on the dic. If GM hasn't fixed that for the 09 model and it's the same problem I had (common), it only takes a few minutes and part number 19179794 to fix it. It may be worth a try.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Take it to the dealer. The Service Active Handling message can be caused by several codes so the steering sensor fix mentioned may not be applicable. As for somebody ordering a harness that was on back order the big issue probably was the parts guy used the wrong part number. I had the same situation with my dealer on ordering a replacement fuse box cover. It was on back order for 12 months so I talked to them and they said find one any where and we will pay for it. Went on the forum and told my story and Gene Culley sent me the correct P/N the parts guy should have used. Called the dealer and the part was there in two days.

Bill
Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 AM
jhorton58
Advanced

Actually the same thing happened with me, they told me to find a wiring harness and they would pay for it and install it for free. But, I came on here trying to get help finding one and was told about the 10.00 clip. I replaced the clip as suggested in the forum and have never had another problem.
If the problem with the clip wasn't remedied before 2009 models, it may be a good idea to replace it anyway because, in my case, the car would flash the warning and immediately jerk hard to the right - sometimes hard enough to make me fight for control. It was that bad.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:11 PM
C6GrandSport10
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are any of your cars supercharged?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by C6GrandSport10
Are any of your cars supercharged?
Shouldn't make a difference. Engine stuff only affects the ABS system if you have engine control codes related to torque control and that will also set a CEL. No CEL and no impact on the ABS system. TC and Active Handling are part of the ABS system. Dealer tech should know that. If he doesn't maybe you should find a place where the techs have a little more training/smarts. Nobody can really help you without codes. Codes tell you where to look and what diagnostic procedure to use. Get to somebody who has a scanner that car read ABS codes. If you don't want the dealer to tell you what the codes are find somebody else.

Oh, by the way the code related to the steering sensor and the TSB is C0710. The TSB indicates if the clip doesn't fix the problem the tech should follow the diagnostic procedure to find out what else is wrong. My 08 came from the factory with the clip already installed.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-12-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Here is the diagnostic procedure for C0710. Notice the steering sensor isn't the only thing that might be bad due to this code although this code is mentioned in the TSB where the clip is installed. That means the clip is only a first step because they saw a number of failures that could be solved quickly by installing the clip.

DTC C0710
Diagnostic Instructions
• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors
DTC C0710 00: Steering Position Signal

DTC C0710 1A: Steering Position Signal Bias Level Out of Range

DTC C0710 1F: Steering Position Signal Intermittent

DTC C0710 52: Steering Position Signal Compare Failure

Circuit/System Description
The steering angle sensor supplies 2 analog inputs, position signal A and position signal B, to the electronic brake control module (EBCM). The 2 input signals are approximately 90 degrees out of phase. By interpreting the relationship between the 2 inputs, the EBCM can determine the position of the steering wheel and the direction of the steering wheel rotation.

Conditions for Running the DTC
C0710 00
• The ignition is ON.

• Ignition voltage is greater than 8 volts.

• The steering wheel position sensor has been powered ON for 0.2 second.

C0710 1A
• The ignition is ON.

• The steering wheel position sensor is centered.

C0710 1F
• The ignition is ON.

• The steering rate of position signal A is less than 80 degrees per second.

C0710 52
• The ignition is ON.

• The steering wheel position sensor is centered.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
C0710 00
Both position signal A and position signal B are greater than 4.9 volts or less than 0.2 volt for 1.6 seconds.

C0710 1A
The steering bias is greater than 40 degrees.

C0710 1F
The difference in the phase angle between position signal A and position signal B is greater than 106 degrees or less than 84 degrees continuously for 0.25 second.

C0710 52
The changes in position signal A or position signal B is greater than 36 degrees between consecutive scans of the signal.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The EBCM disables the vehicle stability enhancement system (VSES) for the duration of the ignition cycle.

• The driver information center (DIC) displays the SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING message.

• The ABS remains functional.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
• The condition for the DTC is no longer present and the DTC is cleared with a scan tool.

• The electronic brake control module (EBCM) automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.

Diagnostic Aids
• Inspect the vehicle for proper alignment. The car should not pull in either direction while driving straight on a level surface.

• The Snapshot function on the scan tool can help find an intermittent DTC.

• Possible causes for this DTC are the following conditions:

- One of the steering wheel position sensor inputs are open, shorted to ground, or shorted to battery.

- Internal steering angle sensor malfunction.

- Noise on the steering wheel position signal circuits.

- Yaw and lateral acceleration sensor malfunction causing drifting signal outputs.

- Internal EBCM malfunction.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference
Antilock Brake System Schematics

Connector End View Reference
Component Connector End Views

Description and Operation
ABS Description and Operation

Electrical Information Reference

• Circuit Testing

• Connector Repairs

• Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

• Wiring Repairs

Scan Tool Reference
Control Module References for Scan Tool Information

Circuit/System Testing
Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the steering position sensor.
Test for less than 5 ohms of resistance between the low reference circuit terminal 2 and ground.
⇒ If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the EBCM.

Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the 5-volt reference circuit terminal 1 and ground.
⇒ If less than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the EBCM.

⇒ If greater than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the EBCM.

Verify the scan tool SWPS signal A parameter is less than 0.2 volt.
⇒ If greater than the specified range, test the signal A circuit terminal 5 for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the EBCM.

Verify the scan tool SWPS signal B parameter is less than 0.2 volt.
If greater than the specified range, test the signal B circuit terminal 6 for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the EBCM.
Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the signal A circuit terminal 5 and the 5-volt reference circuit terminal 1. Verify the scan tool SWPS signal A parameter is greater than 4.8 volts.
⇒ If less than the specified range, test the signal A circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the EBCM.

Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the signal B circuit terminal 6 and the 5-volt reference circuit terminal 1. Verify the scan tool SWPS signal B parameter is greater than 4.8 volts.
⇒ If less than the specified range, test the signal B circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the EBCM.

If all circuits test normal, test or replace the steering position sensor.

Bill
Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
C6GrandSport10
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't make a difference. Engine stuff only affects the ABS system if you have engine control codes related to torque control and that will also set a CEL. No CEL and no impact on the ABS system. TC and Active Handling are part of the ABS system. Dealer tech should know that. If he doesn't maybe you should find a place where the techs have a little more training/smarts. Nobody can really help you without codes. Codes tell you where to look and what diagnostic procedure to use. Get to somebody who has a scanner that car read ABS codes. If you don't want the dealer to tell you what the codes are find somebody else.

Oh, by the way the code related to the steering sensor and the TSB is C0710. The TSB indicates if the clip doesn't fix the problem the tech should follow the diagnostic procedure to find out what else is wrong. My 08 came from the factory with the clip already installed.

Bill
Bill you really seem to know your stuff! I called the dealer and right away there defense was its with the tune or the installer may have disconnected something. As I dont know much but I know a little, I tried to explain to the first guy on the phone who was just relying my message to the tech, that the ABS system is separate and has nothing to do with the tune. I finally said forget it,but it sounded like they have never even heard of Active Handling, wish I could have just spoke with the tech. My buddy has a scanner, I will definately have him bring it next time we are out, that way I can go to the dealer with a little more ammo and knowledge for myself. Thanks again Bill.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:24 PM
NavarreVette
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I was having the same problem on my 2005 C6 with Telescoping Steering wheel. I crawled under the dash and removed the drivers side finishing panel. It is a plastic kick plate that covers the under dash wiring.

The SWPS (Steering Wheel Position Sensor) is easy to see, and I already have the clip installed, probably by the previous owner. I do believe it ended up being a recall item. Anyway, I telescoped the steering wheel in and out and noticed that the cable will creep up and remove any service loop from the cable where it connects to the SWPS.

I removed the clip and re-installed it. I also pulled some slack cable down and then telescoped the wheel back and forth. Once I was satisfied that the cable would not be pulled any further, I Zip tied it to the main harness that runs perpendicular. this will keep it from creeping.

Once complete, the fault stopped appearing.

**Disclaimer** I am not an Automotive Engineer / Engineer with automotive discipline....

I am an Electrical Engineer that designs Aircraft Avionics. I believe that the true problem based on what I have seen by investigating it and repairing it myself is insufficient cable length. This puts stress on the connector and contacts. the Clip, insures the contacts do not pull out of the connector or fret, but they are still under stress. When I removed my clip, I found that the clip had been damaged by the constant strain. GM should have fixed this with a tie wrap on the harness to prevent cable harness creep, as well as a short 2" pig tail to provide proper service loop and relieve stress... (My opinion of course)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:17 PM
JJC1
Instructor

Warning started appearing on my 2006. Seemed to be associated with sharp steering wheel turns. When shutting off and restarting warning goes away for now. Has happened 4 or 5 times in a 1 month period. Handling of the car seems fine otherwise.

Need to know what to expect when bringing to dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Active Handling issue