C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 PM
gunnerrun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Questions

Why do I always see corvettes with twin turbo packages? Is it possible to set up a c6 with just a single turbo? SCs are not that appealing to me because of the whine and expense.

I got to thinking about this today after seeing a couple of Pontiacs at the track running single turbos and they paid about 1/3 of the cost of a twin turbo set up for a corvette. They were running in the 11s
Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Not a lot of room for a single turbo in the Corvette engine bay. Routing the piping is an issue as well. Not a lot of room for twin turbos either.

San
Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 PM
lockman
Burning Brakes

you know if you post it in the fi/nitrous board it will get many more responses. but you don't need a turbo just to run in the 11's
Old 01-17-2009, 10:22 PM
gunnerrun
Racer

Originally Posted by lockman
you know if you post it in the fi/nitrous board it will get many more responses. but you don't need a turbo just to run in the 11's
I understand. Just looking for the most bang for the buck.

Will post in the FI section. Thanks
Old 01-18-2009, 09:47 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Roots whine, centris are pretty quiet at boost
Old 01-18-2009, 01:00 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I know a guy that removed his centrifugal charger and built his own single turbo system. He mounted it between the radiator and the front of the engine. At the same 8 psi, the single turbo made 35 more horsepower and made the full 8 psi of boost starting at 2800 rpm.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000C-5
I know a guy that removed his centrifugal charger and built his own single turbo system. He mounted it between the radiator and the front of the engine. At the same 8 psi, the single turbo made 35 more horsepower and made the full 8 psi of boost starting at 2800 rpm.
but of coarse! you're not driving the turbo with a belt, on a TOP FUEL DRAGSTER it takes about 3000hp to drive the blower
Old 01-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
but of coarse! you're not driving the turbo with a belt, on a TOP FUEL DRAGSTER it takes about 3000hp to drive the blower
You need to check your facts, because you aren't even in the ballpark. It only takes about 400 hp to drive the blower on a TF car.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:27 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnerrun
Why do I always see corvettes with twin turbo packages? Is it possible to set up a c6 with just a single turbo? SCs are not that appealing to me because of the whine and expense.
I got to thinking about this today after seeing a couple of Pontiacs at the track running single turbos and they paid about 1/3 of the cost of a twin turbo set up for a corvette. They were running in the 11s
If the cost of a supercharger is a problem for you, you are in for a real surprize when you see what it costs to do a turbo kit right on a Corvette

The reason you almost always see Corvettes, and V8 engines in general with twin turbos is because they are easier to package and more efficient. That said there have been numerous C5s with single turbos and a few C6s. It is entirely doable.
You of course don't need any kind of FI to run 11s; plenty of bolt on cars are doing that.
And you may want to take a better look at superchargers... The SQ (Super Quiet) line of Vortech blowers is CARB certified for emissions legality in al 50 states and makes almost no noise at all. They are cheaper than any turbo kit, but a good margin...
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM
gunnerrun
Racer

Default ed

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
If the cost of a supercharger is a problem for you, you are in for a real surprize when you see what it costs to do a turbo kit right on a Corvette

The reason you almost always see Corvettes, and V8 engines in general with twin turbos is because they are easier to package and more efficient. That said there have been numerous C5s with single turbos and a few C6s. It is entirely doable.
You of course don't need any kind of FI to run 11s; plenty of bolt on cars are doing that.
And you may want to take a better look at superchargers... The SQ (Super Quiet) line of Vortech blowers is CARB certified for emissions legality in al 50 states and makes almost no noise at all. They are cheaper than any turbo kit, but a good margin...
Just trying to get educated. Caddy tastes and Ford bank account but I hear you loud and clear.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnerrun

The turbos in a twin turbo application for the C6 are usually smaller in size individually then a single turbo application which in most cases provides quicker throttle response and less turbo lag as well as better low end torque since they spool faster.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo Questions

Quick Reply: Turbo Questions