C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are long tube headers EPA legal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
hbvette07
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are long tube headers EPA legal?

Are long tube headers EPA legal in any states?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:08 PM
zich6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

EPA regulates emissions, generally not hardware. If you pass your state test with headers, you're golden.

Perhaps you should have asked "has anyone passed (your state) emissions with long tube headers."
Old 02-15-2009, 05:13 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Long tube headers on a C6 require that you move the CATS - that is against the EPA regulations.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Long tube headers on a C6 require that you move the CATS - that is against the EPA regulations.
correct. it isn't whether you pass emissions. in this case, fed law supersedes state law.

Last edited by AORoads; 02-15-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:41 PM
hbvette07
Burning Brakes

Anyone have a link to the EPA that states that? I have heard that before but would like to read it myself and I can not seem to find it.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:57 PM
NEVERL8
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 111 Posts

Simple question, simple answer, that being NO! You cannot move the placement of the catalytic converters. Federal law.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:19 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hbvette07
Anyone have a link to the EPA that states that? I have heard that before but would like to read it myself and I can not seem to find it.
Here: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Here is the pertinent (or one of them) paragraph:
(5) Install the converter in the same location as the original
Old 02-15-2009, 06:53 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

So why put cats on with headers if you are in violation of the law with or without them?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by timd38
So why put cats on with headers if you are in violation of the law with or without them?
The environment,and the nasty stink that comes off a non catted car, plus the fact that there is almost no power gain for removing a high flow cat.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:52 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

F** the law. if it still passes emissions screw them.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:06 PM
hbvette07
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the link
Old 02-15-2009, 08:52 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pryderei
F** the law. if it still passes emissions screw them.
More and more, the test is not a sniffer but a visual inspection, they are looking for the cats, and an OBDCII read.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

My high flow cat on my other car didn't even come close to passing CA emissions requirements. I wound up buying a used stock catback that passed easily. I'm leaning towards the Z06 parts (headers, cats, exhaust) eventually.

San
Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmansan
My high flow cat on my other car didn't even come close to passing CA emissions requirements. I wound up buying a used stock catback that passed easily. I'm leaning towards the Z06 parts (headers, cats, exhaust) eventually.

San
Technically you would still fail, since the cats are still being moved from the stock C6 to the C6Z locations. Would anyone catch that.....highly doubt it. Would someone looking see clearly an aftermarket header system if using ARH/Kooks/LG, yes.

I've past state inspection twice but the guy really didn't look too hard either time. (MA requires inspection each year) I goto a small garage which I tend to think is a little more less likely to search the car. (think a dealership would be more likely to catch it and be more strict)

Either way if I did fail a visual I would sell the headers and be done with it, too much of a hassle to keep swapping parts each year. Till that day comes I'll enjoy them!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

They do the plug in route here in Oregon. No visual. I just renewed and was a little concerned because we have a whacked out governor and I have cam, heads, cai, headers, exhaust etc. The guy doing the test asked me if mine was a special corvette model because he noticed the Jake chicklets and the sound of the cam. I passed so I'm good for two more years.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Here in my area of VA they do an OBD-II scan... you don't pop any codes or 'not ready' status you're fine. I have a moderate cam and bolt-ons, but I do have cats.

If I lived in Cali I'd leave my car stock and enjoy the drive.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Lil' Red Corvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read it closely. Also google the reference to other regulations that are referenced by this one, and you'll see this clearly refers to someone making the alterations prior to delivery to final consumer, or for a business to perform this type of alteration on a for hire basis. It also makes reference to companies manufacturing or selling these modified parts. None of which has anything to do with what you do in your driveway, on your own car.

From this law S.E.M.A was born to allow for federal certification of aftermarket devices.

That takes care of the Feds. But regardless if you pay someone, or you perform the changes yourself, you still may be in violation of your individual states laws.

I'm no lawyer, for sure, but this is the way I have always been told it is. I have been told this by various inspection stations, and the PA State Police, who monitor and certify inspection stations in PA.

While I'm typing this, I know someone will find another regulation that overrides or supercedes this one. This emissions stuff is so out of control that I'm sure anyone could pull up a document to shoot down any argument you may present.

I don't care to take up any arguments on the subject. I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what is going on. And I bet all of the people in a position to enforce these laws only repeat what they have been told to do, by someone who was also told what to do, and on and on and on. Much in the same way that any given sentence is altered after being transferred down from person to person.

Do your own thing until someone says you can't do that. Put up a little fight, and win, or lose and go back and undo, "your own thing."

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Are long tube headers EPA legal?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

In California and many other states any after market replacement part associated with emissions must be CARB approved. At this time no headers for the C6 are CARB approved. A visual inspection is made and proof of the approval is necessary.

CARB = California Air Resources Board.

This is the approval sticker for my 2005 K&N CAI.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:09 PM
vettechictwins
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08
Default emissions

This issue can take a long time to discuss. However, the 1990 Clean Air Act and many subsequent amendments even cause more confusion. While the Act detailing what can and can't be done, and who it applies to at what stage of delivery and ownership varies. Many people make the quote that federal law supersedes state law. Not true on this issue. You need to also look in the federal registar and the executive order (president) on enforcement of the Act which allows state to develop felixibility in the enforcement of the Federal Clean Air Act based on a number of things population/car density, geographical location, harm to businesses in enforcement, suspension of enforcement, etc.. In short, the federal act allows states to develop their own program if they can reduce emissions or substantially comply in other ways than those set forth in the federal model program. It is not as simple as reading the Clean Air Act and saying okay you can do this and can't do that. Further, the various federal appellate court decisions on this provide some guidance. There is no uniform set of rules throughout. In many states, Alabama and Florida, just to name a few, have no emissions inspections anymore. Some dealerts will install headers and high flow cats.
It is a difficult matter to navigate. Hope this helps. We are not lawyers, but dad is and he does nothing but the federal stuff and we are putting this out as a synopsis of what he told us.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Here in my area of VA they do an OBD-II scan... you don't pop any codes or 'not ready' status you're fine. I have a moderate cam and bolt-ons, but I do have cats.
Where I am you are allowed one "not ready" to pass. They got a mirror to look under the car for cats, but last time I saw it, it looked like it had not been cleaned for 5 years...in essence it was shoved under the car but not looked at! Plus, if you buy a new car, you dont have to get a test until 4 years later. I still got two years to enjoy my headers w/hi flo cats though I probably will pass anyways.

Quick Reply: Are long tube headers EPA legal?