C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Starscream410
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Brake Upgrade

Fam
Hey, I dont need new brakes yet but I want to upgrade my 2008 C6 Z51 from its factory brakes to the WCC Z06 Big Brake upgrade kit and Im getting mixed messages. Some ppl say because of the Z51 package the kit can fit and I do not have to upgrade my tire size from 18x19 to 19x20. WCC said it wont fit and I have to buy tires and wheels in 19x20, 3000.00. I have friends and the local corvette club are telling me it can fit and that I have to find someone who can put it on. Has anyone done this or knows of anyone who can guide me in the right direction. How much of a role does the one inch in the front and the 2 iches in the rear play.

From my research these are the specs:

Front Wheels measure 18"x8.5" (for standard C6)
Rear Wheels measure 19"x10" (for standard C6
Front Wheels measure 18"x9.5" (for Z06)
Rear Wheels measure 19"x12" (for Z06)
Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you add Z06 brakes you need wheels that the brakes will fit under and the stock wheels are not the correct ones. Call CCW, they are the masters at this.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Many threads on this. Stock C6 wheels don't have enough room, the calipers hit the spokes, and aftermarket wheels are required, though they don’t have to be 19”f & 20”r.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
If you add Z06 brakes you need wheels that the brakes will fit under and the stock wheels are not the correct ones. Call CCW, they are the masters at this.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that the stock wheels can fit but you would need to use a 1/2" spacer in the front. I just bought a set of Z06 calipers which came in today. If I have time today i will fit them on the car and take some pics just to be sure.

I'll let you know.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparo2
I've heard that the stock wheels can fit but you would need to use a 1/2" spacer in the front. I just bought a set of Z06 calipers which came in today. If I have time today i will fit them on the car and take some pics just to be sure.

I'll let you know.
You will need longer wheel studs if you go with 1/2" spacers.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I have the Z06 brakes on my 2005 C6. You need the rotors, the calipers and pads, and Z06 specific flex hoses. They are several forum vendors that sell wheels with the correct width and offset to make this work. I bought mine from Corvette Garage. I think they are running a sale right now, too. The sizes are 18x9.5 and 19x11. They fit under the wheel wells and look good.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 PM
C6 ROLLER
Burning Brakes

I went with CCW rims and a set of Z06 calipers/rotors/pads to go under them. I also went with the wide body kit so I'm running 19x13 in the back to hold the Hoosier 345's.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I just went to go try them on. I only tried one side (dvr side). Anyways, i didn't have a spacer to check which one would actually be needed so I tried a different method. I grabbed a bunch of large washers in my garage and started adding one by one on each stud. I used about 6 washers on each stud which is about 3/4" thick. So my guess is that a 3/4" spacer would be needed to clear those ZO6 calipers along with new longer studs.

Sorry i don't have any pics. It started getting dark and my camera phone doesn't have flash.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Most serious C6 racers I know use 18" wheels all-around with big brakes (but not Z06 brakes). You don't need 19" or 20" wheels, just the proper wheels and offsets. I recommend CCW but I'm sure other knowledgeable wheel vendors can hook you up.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 AM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EuroRod
I have the Z06 brakes on my 2005 C6. You need the rotors, the calipers and pads, and Z06 specific flex hoses. They are several forum vendors that sell wheels with the correct width and offset to make this work. I bought mine from Corvette Garage. I think they are running a sale right now, too. The sizes are 18x9.5 and 19x11. They fit under the wheel wells and look good.

Dont mean to Hijack but how did you get Zo6 brakes to fit behind those wheels? I have ZO6 repros with 57mm offset on 18x9.5 front and was told I would need a 1/4 spacer to make the Zo6 wheels fit. I want to switch to the 09 Zo6 spyder wheels in the same offset and still need the spacer. How is it that your wheels make it work?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:09 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

First off, why are you "upgrading". It is questionable that the Z06 brakes are indeed an upgrade. There's a post in another Corvette forum by LG Motorsports that basically says the Z06 brakes aren't any better than stock.

If it's just for looks that's one thing, otherwise, Wayne O is spot on that most serious racers aren't using Z06 brakes. The rotors are one-piece, heavy and non-directional. The padlets wear quickly and are pricey. I looked at this option and frankly I think you'll spend more in the long run on the Z06 brakes unless you are just using them on the street. They do look good. Flame suit on.

San
Old 05-14-2009, 10:14 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Post #6.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=81894

San
Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldmansan
First off, why are you "upgrading". It is questionable that the Z06 brakes are indeed an upgrade. There's a post in another Corvette forum by LG Motorsports that basically says the Z06 brakes aren't any better than stock.

If it's just for looks that's one thing, otherwise, Wayne O is spot on that most serious racers aren't using Z06 brakes. The rotors are one-piece, heavy and non-directional. The padlets wear quickly and are pricey. I looked at this option and frankly I think you'll spend more in the long run on the Z06 brakes unless you are just using them on the street. They do look good. Flame suit on.

San
I agree with you:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...distances.html
Old 05-14-2009, 10:17 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmansan

San

If it is for the look fine, but If you truely looking to "upgrade" than look at aftermarket big brake kits, Brembo, stop tech, etc.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:23 AM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 6speedC6

If it is for the look fine, but If you truely looking to "upgrade" than look at aftermarket big brake kits, Brembo, stop tech, etc.
I would go as far to say, that unless you are SERIOUSLY tracking the car, there's no point in going with Brembo or Stop Tech. Those are VERY expensive, and you're basically paying for 22lb less unsprung weight and a little bit better stopping. It just does not make sense to me, if it's just a street driven car. That said, I am going with Z06 brakes for the looks.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:09 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by simplyphp
I would go as far to say, that unless you are SERIOUSLY tracking the car, there's no point in going with Brembo or Stop Tech. Those are VERY expensive, and you're basically paying for 22lb less unsprung weight and a little bit better stopping. It just does not make sense to me, if it's just a street driven car. That said, I am going with Z06 brakes for the looks.
You would be amazed at how much difference not only un-sprung weight changes the way the car responds. Not only that you are talking rotational weight, and any one that has done a lightweight clutch can tell you, that will dramatically affect how quickly the car can accelerate.

The C6Z brakes do work very well for street use, but they are not in the same league as the StopTech or Brembo kits.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Brake Upgrade

Old 05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
You would be amazed at how much difference not only un-sprung weight changes the way the car responds. Not only that you are talking rotational weight, and any one that has done a lightweight clutch can tell you, that will dramatically affect how quickly the car can accelerate.

The C6Z brakes do work very well for street use, but they are not in the same league as the StopTech or Brembo kits.
"Dramatically" affect acceleration? I dont know about that.

Everybody knows that there are better braking systems out there for much more money but bang for the buck they're hard to beat. Especially with aftermarket pads and fluid upgrade. And as a bonus they look sharp!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:22 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

In your opinion for "Street use Only", are the Zo6 brakes with a more aggressive 1 piece cobalt pad better than the base c6 brakes at stopping? I loved braking late in my Viper and of course that had brembo's stock, my base c6 brakes are mushy ( I know, brake lines) and feel week. Would the feel of the Z brakes with aggressive pads make a big difference in feel?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM
camaro_zach
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
"Dramatically" affect acceleration? I dont know about that.
Uh yeah, I do know about that haha. I went from a stock LS7 setup to a aluminum fly wheel McLeod RST setup...holy crap. When in or out of gear this car revs up SO much faster. I went from 67 lbs on the end of my crank down to 45 lbs. Also the diameter of the pressure plate is much smaller than that of the stocker so the centripetal force effect isnt as drastic as it was before. When im at 2k rpm and I lay in the gas, the rear tires are so much "more likely" to break loose as an effect of the motor reving up so much faster. Its almost TOO light for the street, but I enjoy the wildness of the light weight clutch. Makes me want to get light weight rims.

But to summarize, WAY noticeable, WAY lighter, HUGE improvement over stock. I personally hate the way the pedal feels in this RST but Im getting used to the fact it feels like a clutch out of a Civic (yes its that easy to push the pedal, lighter than stock i swear).

Quick Reply: Big Brake Upgrade