C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TransGo 6L80E transmission research

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by mark@TGO
The low/reverse clutch is only on in Manual Low or reverse. It is not on during an auto 1-2 shift, although some charts say that it is. The 1-2 shift is non synchronous, If I stated other wise that is my error, I apologize.

The ratio change is wide, I highly doubt that's a problem.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for that important correction to the charts I have! I couldn't figure out how the power flow went in 1st gear when the low/reverse clutch was on along with the sprag clutch holding...it just didn't make sense to have both of them. That's why I thought I was having a hard time reading the drawing, it was driving me

PS My family has used your products for years dating back to my dad putting shift kits in his tow truck in the '70s. You have a lifelong happy customer and I look forward to any upgrades you develop for the 6L80/90.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 PM
mark@TGO
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power flow

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Thank you, thank you, thank you for that important correction to the charts I have! I couldn't figure out how the power flow went in 1st gear when the low/reverse clutch was on along with the sprag clutch holding...it just didn't make sense to have both of them. That's why I thought I was having a hard time reading the drawing, it was driving me

PS My family has used your products for years dating back to my dad putting shift kits in his tow truck in the '70s. You have a lifelong happy customer and I look forward to any upgrades you develop for the 6L80/90.
You are very welcome!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 AM
TinSecondRice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Any idea what would cause this in an A4- 4L65E....

Every once in a while when I put my car in reverse, it goes about 5 feet and then feels like the brakes have been put on all of the sudden. When it does this you have to give it a good bit of gas to even get it to move at all in reverse. If you put the shifter back into neutral, then in reverse again it is fine. It was built by Century Transmission using some of your components
Old 05-22-2009, 10:02 AM
mark@TGO
Former Vendor

Default Bind in reverse

Originally Posted by TinSecondRice
Any idea what would cause this in an A4- 4L65E....

Every once in a while when I put my car in reverse, it goes about 5 feet and then feels like the brakes have been put on all of the sudden. When it does this you have to give it a good bit of gas to even get it to move at all in reverse. If you put the shifter back into neutral, then in reverse again it is fine. It was built by Century Transmission using some of your components
What year is this?

I understand that this is a random event. Does the problem show up after the vehicle has been parked for a while, does temp have any effect? I studied the hydraulic chart in reverse and I could not see anything from the valve body that could create this.

How long ago was the trans worked on? Have you taken it back to the shop that repaired it?

Keep me posted.

Mark
Old 05-22-2009, 10:06 AM
mark@TGO
Former Vendor

All this data coming in is great!

Doing some research I hear that GM has some bulletin
that pertains to this problem. I spoke with local trans shop owner who has one of these cars. He claims there is some revised seals that GM installed that corrected this. I'm seeking bulletin data & #

I will keep the forum posted.

Thank you, Mark
I have found the bulletin & have ordered the parts to see whats included. I will let you know

Mark
Old 05-22-2009, 10:08 AM
mark@TGO
Former Vendor

Default 2-3 flare

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Good to hear a great brand like TransGo wants to tackle the 6L tanny issues. My biggest complaint is the flaring. It's been getting more obvious now with 27k miles. Doesn't matter whether it's cold or warm but slow speed shifts between 2-3 has apparent flaring. Most likely it's just a line pressure drop. Need to bring it to the dealer and get them to do the software upgrades under warranty.
Let me know what the outcome is at dealer.

Mark
Old 05-22-2009, 12:05 PM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Mark I sent you a pm and I to am a 2006 supercharged car owner with 2 and 3 cluth burn up. my tranny just go back from a rebuild.

Lance
Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I currently have 41,500 miles on my A6 and it performs perfect. Once in a while, I will get a cold flare (very minor, almost unnoticable) on the 1-2. It has a Chuck COW TCM tune though. Before the TCM tune, it would flare/hunt/bang gears on the downshift and midshift nearly everyday. FWIW.

I would love a 6L80 good for 700rwhp. I am dying to run a 200 shot but since this trans is such a joy right now, I don't want to end that.

BTW, my car is a Heads/Cam/Exhaust/Bolt-on car, approx 475-480rwhp.

Last edited by JayplaySS2; 05-22-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:22 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rovers2000
Mark I sent you a pm and I to am a 2006 supercharged car owner with 2 and 3 cluth burn up. my tranny just go back from a rebuild.

Lance
Was this on the stock TCM tune or did it have a trans tune? Just curious.

Chuck and other TCM tuners should be a part of this thread. My A6 issues were all solved with a TCM tune.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:21 PM
KWIKTOY
Racer

My 2006 A6 (14k miles) seems to flare some on 1-2 shift and using the paddle shifters is sluggish, like the trans is trying to catch up. I have been told that I should bring it to the dealer that they can adjust this??? I also heard that there is a Transgo shift kit that can be installed and set to either light (similar to stock), medium (tighter shifting for street), or hard (applicable to track use). Should I only persue the dealer trans tune? Will making shift response tighter / quicker cause more wear on the trans?
I do not track the car and normally don't drive it hard but would like to have a better "performance feel" to it when I do occassionally "hit it".
I am not a mechanic so any solution will have to be by a shop but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:36 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Mark
has anybody got a fix for the aftermarket converters lockup problems, PWM ?
I would like to know if others are having the same problems.
at cruise the converter locks and unlocks, can be commanded to lock with the VCM controls and lowers the trans temps by 15-20 degrees and also helps fuel mileage.
thanks
Phil
Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KWIKTOY
I have been told that I should bring it to the dealer that they can adjust this???
I hope this is true, I'd go for it. But something tells me its not - the dealer never suggested it despite all my complaints on the A6 shifting issues.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 PM
mark@TGO
Former Vendor

Default TransGo

Originally Posted by KWIKTOY
My 2006 A6 (14k miles) seems to flare some on 1-2 shift and using the paddle shifters is sluggish, like the trans is trying to catch up. I have been told that I should bring it to the dealer that they can adjust this??? I also heard that there is a Transgo shift kit that can be installed and set to either light (similar to stock), medium (tighter shifting for street), or hard (applicable to track use). Should I only persue the dealer trans tune? Will making shift response tighter / quicker cause more wear on the trans?
I do not track the car and normally don't drive it hard but would like to have a better "performance feel" to it when I do occassionally "hit it".
I am not a mechanic so any solution will have to be by a shop but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Mark from TransGo here,

At this time we do not have a kit. If you have been reading along I have been interacting with various forum members on the problems that the A6/6L80E is having. The forum members have provided us with some interesting & helpful data. We begin the preliminary investigation this month with our first project car. I advise forum members to stay tuned to whats developing at TransGo.

Thank you all!

Mark
Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 PM
mark@TGO
Former Vendor

Default lock up converter

Originally Posted by pmj341
Mark
has anybody got a fix for the aftermarket converters lockup problems, PWM ?
I would like to know if others are having the same problems.
at cruise the converter locks and unlocks, can be commanded to lock with the VCM controls and lowers the trans temps by 15-20 degrees and also helps fuel mileage.
thanks
Phil
Phil,

I highly doubt it is the converter it self causing the complaint. The converter can only lock & unlock when it's commanded to do so. If the converter has more stall it may have an effect on lockup timing. More stall effects the load/mass airflow sensor mapping on the engine and the ECM maybe in conflict with it causing a compliant.

No data at this time.

Mark
Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 PM
mark@TGO
Former Vendor

Default upgrades for HP

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
I currently have 41,500 miles on my A6 and it performs perfect. Once in a while, I will get a cold flare (very minor, almost unnoticable) on the 1-2. It has a Chuck COW TCM tune though. Before the TCM tune, it would flare/hunt/bang gears on the downshift and midshift nearly everyday. FWIW.

I would love a 6L80 good for 700rwhp. I am dying to run a 200 shot but since this trans is such a joy right now, I don't want to end that.

BTW, my car is a Heads/Cam/Exhaust/Bolt-on car, approx 475-480rwhp.
At this time we have no proven data to provide for you. Just from what we are receiving on our product support line & from local hot rodders would make me hesitant to add a lot of HP. Remember there is still a lot to be learned here.

Mark
Old 05-26-2009, 10:14 PM
mark@TGO
Former Vendor

Default dealer

Originally Posted by jrizzuto
I hope this is true, I'd go for it. But something tells me its not - the dealer never suggested it despite all my complaints on the A6 shifting issues.
Contact other dealers,

Some just want to say that's the way they all are and let it be. Do some footwork and inform us.

Mark
Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Are the A-6 transmissions starting to have problem issues?

Get notified of new replies

To TransGo 6L80E transmission research

Old 05-26-2009, 11:33 PM
mark@TGO
Former Vendor

Default A6 problems

Originally Posted by LS WON
Are the A-6 transmissions starting to have problem issues?
Yes, read through some of threads. They are having shifting complaints, engine rpm flair during shifts (a cut loose in trans terminology)
2nd clutch failure just to name a few.

Mark
Old 05-27-2009, 12:00 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Yes, read through some of threads. They are having shifting complaints, engine rpm flair during shifts (a cut loose in trans terminology)
2nd clutch failure just to name a few.

Mark
so the A-6 came out in 2006 and about 3 years later we start to see what the problems are.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:07 AM
mark@TGO
Former Vendor

Default A6 problems

Originally Posted by LS WON
so the A-6 came out in 2006 and about 3 years later we start to see what the problems are.
When a new trans is released we generally start hearing symptoms & failures within the first year or so. When it's a performance car we hear it even sooner. As soon as the car gets out of warranty the phone rings off the hook.

Mark

Quick Reply: TransGo 6L80E transmission research