C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you take action?
Yes, I think its the right thing to do!
68.71%
No, I haven't the time for this.
31.29%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:48 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Number1
Wow. This $#@* has been going on since 2009 (beginning thread date) and there is not a fix yet. What the ......

My active handling has been very touchy over the last couple of months, going over speed bumps and such. Last Friday both the ABS and AHS service lights came on when I started the car. Scheduled it for service this Thursday but it looks like I will just be throwing away money and buying frustration.

Good luck, hope it something simple like a sensor cable/connector and the fix is quick and simple, please let us know the outcome.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:14 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with one of the previous posts - If you chime in Customer Service you should have something substantive to add - not just lip service.

It is hard to believe there hasn't been a recall and fix for this.
why does it feel like GM customer service call center is a small office located in the philippines. always feels like english is not the operators primary language and they dont quite understand the issue you are complaining about?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Tim0310
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service AHS

I have a 2008 Corvette with 4800 miles. I just purchased it 6 weeks ago. I have already had it in the shop twice because I have had the Service AHS with the check engine light on.

Having read thru the forum it seems like there are a number of different fixes. Can anyone give me a check list of the most common cause so I know where to start.

This is my first Corvette and I would love to keep the car, but if I have to go thru this every couple of months I will just get rid of it. It has been very frustrating to say the least. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Josh C6
Heel & Toe

Tim,

My issue was when I'd hit a bump I'd get service AH/TC/ABS message. Restart the car and it'd go away. At first it was a bad pot hole or speed bump but then it became any rough spot in the road.

My local mechanic read the error codes and saw the right rear ABS sensor was skipping reading. He did not have a tech II but did have a similar snap on reader that could read ABS codes. I took apart the sensor and cleaned it up and bent the pins for better connection. That was just a band aid though as a couple months later the issue came up again.

I finally cut the connector out and soldered the wires together. Heat wrap then electrical tape and have never seen the error message again. The connector is helpful if you need to remove the hub but if I am going through the process of removing a hub what's 10 more minutes to redo that connection ?

I got the idea off a post on here.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Number1
Cruising

Originally Posted by Josh C6
Tim,

My issue was when I'd hit a bump I'd get service AH/TC/ABS message. Restart the car and it'd go away. At first it was a bad pot hole or speed bump but then it became any rough spot in the road.

My local mechanic read the error codes and saw the right rear ABS sensor was skipping reading. He did not have a tech II but did have a similar snap on reader that could read ABS codes. I took apart the sensor and cleaned it up and bent the pins for better connection. That was just a band aid though as a couple months later the issue came up again.

I finally cut the connector out and soldered the wires together. Heat wrap then electrical tape and have never seen the error message again. The connector is helpful if you need to remove the hub but if I am going through the process of removing a hub what's 10 more minutes to redo that connection ?

I got the idea off a post on here.

Josh - my issue was very similar to yours. My left rear bearing sensor had an intermittent "failure" - showed up in the codes on a Snap On reader. I just went ahead and had the bearing sensor replaced - $346 including parts and labor. So far so good.

For Tim - I bought my 2008 in 2010 with a little under 22000 miles. I use mine as a daily driver and commute about 65 miles a day. It now has about 85000 on it and it has been very reliable (and fun). All I have had to do is oil changes, tires, brakes, typical maintenance. I hope your fix is as simple and Josh's and mine was. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:55 AM
jimy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Comb

Originally Posted by Tim0310
I have a 2008 Corvette with 4800 miles. I just purchased it 6 weeks ago. I have already had it in the shop twice because I have had the Service AHS with the check engine light on.

Having read thru the forum it seems like there are a number of different fixes. Can anyone give me a check list of the most common cause so I know where to start.

This is my first Corvette and I would love to keep the car, but if I have to go thru this every couple of months I will just get rid of it. It has been very frustrating to say the least. Any help would be appreciated.
Same thing happened to me. I had the loose connector under the steering column. Bought a $3 " comb " from GM dealer. It's been about a year and no problems. Do a search on service AHS problems and comb or clip fix.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:17 PM
txjimmy34
4th Gear

Default traction control

Tim I love my car I use it as a daily driver and have over 100 k on it. my warning went on for about 3 weeks then it just stopped. I put after market brake pads and rotors on it, not sure if that's it. Hitting bumps sometimes might cause it. I think its just a glitch. been a month now no warning car runs like a super car should gl
Old 10-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Tim0310
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't believe the SAH problem is a continuing issue for one very good reason. GM changed EBCM suppliers from Delphi to Bosch starting in the 2009 model year. They also changed the steering sensor at the same time. The suppliers were different and the designs are different as well. Problems that are common to one will not be common to the other. Failures in other sub systems such as the engine controls will be common to either module and will result in Service Messages under the same circumstances.

Original complaints (05s) related to an inadvertant activation of active handling that was immediately followed by the EBCM detecting a failure thus shutting the system down and lighting the service message. No matter what year car you have when that message is being displayed active handling will not do anything-- it has been shut down. So if you have a pre 09 car don't worry when you see the message since the danger point has already been passed. Either it activated and applied a brake or another issue caused it to fail.

09 and newer models can have inadvertant activations as can any other brand car but it is far less likely than the earlier cars that had to have the comb installed in the steering sensor connector.

The dealer that fixed the SAH light by fixing ignition system issues did the correct thing. Active Handling and Traction Control rely on the engine computer module to control torque whenever the electronic brake control module requests a torque reduction. The ECM can't do that if there are ignition issues and it will send a message to the EBCM saying it can't do its job. The EBCM sets a code that basically says the failure isn't here and lights the Service messages.

Finally, there is a lot of misinformation in this thread and you can't depend on it to help you resolve an issue as there are many failures that are unrelated to the original steering sensor failure experienced in the early C6 cars. If there have been a number of NHTSA complaints sent in I can understand why nothing happens since the complaints are probably as much jibberish as the information in this thread is.

Bill
Bill:

I have a 2008 Corvette with 4800 miles. I have owned it for 6 weeks and it has been in the shop twice for SAH error. I have read the forum and there seems to be a number of different fixes. This is the first corvette I have owned. The mechanic wants to replace the throttle sensor. Could you give me an idea if they are on the right track. This is very frustrating and I am just about ready to dump the car. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Bill:

I have a 2008 Corvette with 4800 miles. I have owned it for 6 weeks and it has been in the shop twice for SAH error. I have read the forum and there seems to be a number of different fixes. This is the first corvette I have owned. The mechanic wants to replace the throttle sensor. Could you give me an idea if they are on the right track. This is very frustrating and I am just about ready to dump the car. Any help would be appreciated.
Tim,
I usually don't look at this sticky since it is filled with so much misinformation. A throttle sensor can definitely cause a Service Active Handling message as well as a Service Traction Control message. The reason that happens is because both Active Handling and Traction Control can depend on the ECM providing proper torque response when the EBCM requests it to limit torque. If the ECM can't do that because of an issue with a sensor or misfire, etc it sends a message to the EBCM saying it can't do its job. The EBCM then sets a code and displays the appropriate service message. If the mechanic found a throttle sensor code it is very likely that is causing your Service Active Handling issue. There are several different things that can cause this scenario so you need a good code reader that can read more than OBD codes. It is also great to have one like the Tech 2 which command the systems to do certain things to see if they respond correctly.

I haven't looked at this thread in a very long time but it started based on people having in appropriate activation of active handling. The symptoms experienced were a sudden pull to the left or right followed by a Service Active Handling message. People misunderstood that to mean when the message showed up they were in dire danger. However, the message means Active Handling is turned off and won't activate at all. You can only get inappropriate activation when the there is no message.

People can't seem to understand that and the thread is so full of crap it isn't worth reading or commenting on. The Moderators should shut it down.

Hope they get your car fixed quickly.

Bill
Old 10-28-2014, 11:41 AM
vetteblondie
Instructor

I have an older Vette also, 02 and my service light for active handling had just started to come on periodically, hadn't noticed any effect on driving. Then I had to change my balancer and it's stayed on since. Wheel seems straight and car drives fine but the light stays on. Yesterday it wasn't on but then came on again last night. I had it checked by a friend that works for our Chevy dealer who came by after hours with his tools and told me it was my SWP sensor, get my part and he'd change it for me. I hate to do that as I'm reading posts here about some "comb" or "clip" - could that be a solution for me as well? I have also seen issues of plugs/wires being the cause.. looking for answers as well....
Old 10-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by vetteblondie
I have an older Vette also, 02 and my service light for active handling had just started to come on periodically, hadn't noticed any effect on driving. Then I had to change my balancer and it's stayed on since. Wheel seems straight and car drives fine but the light stays on. Yesterday it wasn't on but then came on again last night. I had it checked by a friend that works for our Chevy dealer who came by after hours with his tools and told me it was my SWP sensor, get my part and he'd change it for me. I hate to do that as I'm reading posts here about some "comb" or "clip" - could that be a solution for me as well? I have also seen issues of plugs/wires being the cause.. looking for answers as well....

vetteblondie

There are no combs or easy fixes for the C5 SWPS. If it checks bad,,, it’s BAD. You should have been able to read your own DTCs on a C5 and prove the issue with the DTCs that come up.

You are lucky you didn’t own 97-2000 C5...

NONE of the EBTCMs exist new or rebuilt and some of the C5 SWPS don’t exist new or aftermarket. If they fail, you are STUCK with used parts at TWICE the price of a new OEM stuff (if it existed). If you can’t find a good used part, you have a C5 WITHOUT any ABS, AH or TC.

I tried to request information and help with the C5 discontinued parts issue thru Chevy Cust Assistance several times and they basically told me "TOUGH ****, NEXT CASE,,, Oh,,,, You should Check your local Chevy Parts counter for help"

I was baffled and discussed with my last reply from Chevy Cust Assistance. I waited till today to cool off and pass this info on and this post was a good reentry point.

I even offered to make some recommendations that would HELP GM make some money and the C5 owners who couldn’t get new parts. All fell on deaf ears and cold shoulders.

What part of "THESE PARTS ARE NO LONGER SUPPORT!! WE CAN’T GET THESE PARTS FROM GM!!" do the people at the support center can’t get thru their THICK SCULLS???

This AGAIN is a safety concern and NO ONE at GM cares.

Some day very soon, you will walk into your STEALERSHIP and try to get a GM ONLY part for your C6 and they will tell you. Im SORRY Sir. That DEALER ONLY PART is discontinued. Better trade that POS in for a C7 while you can still drive it.

Mark my word,, This parts problem is coming to C6,,,,,,SOON!! Sad Day,, but,,,, its coming.

And they want customer loyalty. LMFAO.

VENTING COMPLETE,,, for now!

Bill Curlee
Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 PM
vetteblondie
Instructor

Thanks for the info... I did check things out myself and had already arrived at that conclusion. I do come here to double check my findings often- having a C5 is new to me, had two C4s (total of 18 years). My mekkie was at the shop checking something else out on another C5 so I asked him if he didn't mind to double check for me. I had already saw this thread with all the other info. One other C5 owner told me it might even be the 'module' inside the car where the button is to turn off the traction control. I just wanted to make sure before I bought a part and paid to have that done, I was doing the right thing. Thank you again for your help and I'm very sorry for your troubles on part finding.
There is a place within walking distance at the end of my street that does deal in used parts, Adair's Corvette Center here in Jonesboro AR. He also has an ebay store if that might help you any....
Old 10-30-2014, 03:45 AM
Keith Tedford
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help

Bill, we really need guys on here for us to understand this computer stuff. I came from the musclecar era, rebuilt/restored a couple cars and built several engines. This computer terminology is mostly Greek to me and it is a learning curve needing lots of explanations. Guys like you can do that. Don't go too far away. Too many of us need help, especially to weed out the misinformation. I for one appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Tim,
I usually don't look at this sticky since it is filled with so much misinformation. A throttle sensor can definitely cause a Service Active Handling message as well as a Service Traction Control message. The reason that happens is because both Active Handling and Traction Control can depend on the ECM providing proper torque response when the EBCM requests it to limit torque. If the ECM can't do that because of an issue with a sensor or misfire, etc it sends a message to the EBCM saying it can't do its job. The EBCM then sets a code and displays the appropriate service message. If the mechanic found a throttle sensor code it is very likely that is causing your Service Active Handling issue. There are several different things that can cause this scenario so you need a good code reader that can read more than OBD codes. It is also great to have one like the Tech 2 which command the systems to do certain things to see if they respond correctly.

I haven't looked at this thread in a very long time but it started based on people having in appropriate activation of active handling. The symptoms experienced were a sudden pull to the left or right followed by a Service Active Handling message. People misunderstood that to mean when the message showed up they were in dire danger. However, the message means Active Handling is turned off and won't activate at all. You can only get inappropriate activation when the there is no message.

People can't seem to understand that and the thread is so full of crap it isn't worth reading or commenting on. The Moderators should shut it down.

Hope they get your car fixed quickly.

Bill
Old 10-31-2014, 01:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Tedford
Bill, we really need guys on here for us to understand this computer stuff. I came from the musclecar era, rebuilt/restored a couple cars and built several engines. This computer terminology is mostly Greek to me and it is a learning curve needing lots of explanations. Guys like you can do that. Don't go too far away. Too many of us need help, especially to weed out the misinformation. I for one appreciate the help.
Keith,
Thanks for the comments. The biggest issue in dealing with computer or electronic systems is getting over the fear. I like helping when I can and being retired it keeps my mind working.

Take heart, the systems aren't all that much different than what you what you worked on previously. I suspect tuners find it a lot easier to tune a car now than when they had to worry about jet sizes in the carb, power valves, how fast vacuum controlled secondaries opened and determining which weights and and springs in the distributor would get what you wanted. They still do all the same things but now all they have to do is enter numbers into a table instead of taking things apart to change jets, springs or weights.

Bill
Old 11-13-2014, 07:36 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default No Warning Lights........No Codes

xxx

Last edited by secrt0007agt; 01-05-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:48 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by secrt0007agt
I have a 2006 Coupe automatic and I have noticed a "twitch" (sometimes) when under acceleration in the rear that feels like one wheel is breaking loose (traction). I first noticed this coming out of turn 2 on Talladega Speedway doing about 125 and it scarred the crap out of me, enough to cancel anymore runs. Talking to one of the club members that night, he told me that holding the traction control/active handling button down for 7 seconds would dis-engage both systems and might be a temporary fix. I did do this, and have been ever since that experience on the track, guess what.......no more problem. A couple of times I forgot to hold that button down, and again, sporadically, I get a little "switch" under hard acceleration.

I was just wondering if anyone thought this issue might be related to all the folks with those warning lights coming on related to active handling and subsequent handling issues?
Sounds like normal AH response especially on a banked turn. Putting it in Comp mode will make it less sensitive or turn it off as you did.

A real failure will remain on the DIC until you turn the car off.

Turn 4 at Daytona before repaving used to be fun due to a dip over the tunnel tossing you towards the wall at a buck fifty plus
Old 12-10-2014, 11:41 AM
05C6400
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by valdeztke
I actually just put this all together last night, so I haven't had a chance to dig too deep into. At present I will be operating my car with TC and AH off rather than careening off the GW Parkway into the Potomac.

Given my current job (I run the military and transportation portfolio for a member of Congress) I have a VERY good understanding of both the bureaucracy in DC and how effective a good letter writing campaign can be. I get excited when I can put my "skill set" to good use, more so when cars are involved.

I hope everyone will read the first post carefully and express their concern to both the DOT officials and the GM representatives Ito be added shortly). Heck, feel free to write your member of Congress as well - give them all the information above and encourage them to contact the DOT. This will help MORE than you think
I have been having the same issue right now even after taking it in to the dealer to fix a few years back. FYI... I did turn off the TC and AH this morning (10DEC14) and I still got the message to service active handling. It is frustrating to me to have bought Chevrolet's premier car to have these kinds of repetitive issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 12-20-2014, 12:15 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Wow. This $#@* has been going on since 2009 (beginning thread date) and there is not a fix yet. What the ......

My active handling has been very touchy over the last couple of months, going over speed bumps and such. Last Friday both the ABS and AHS service lights came on when I started the car. Scheduled it for service this Thursday but it looks like I will just be throwing away money and buying frustration.

I agree with one of the previous posts - If you chime in Customer Service you should have something substantive to add - not just lip service.

It is hard to believe there hasn't been a recall and fix for this.
CORRECTION: This has been going on since the 1997 model , if not before.

Just a couple threads from your C5 friends...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1565196
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1387486

The crossover fuel leak issue is another C5/C6 safety issue that needs the attention of the NHTSA.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:30 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
vetteblondie

There are no combs or easy fixes for the C5 SWPS. If it checks bad,,, it’s BAD. You should have been able to read your own DTCs on a C5 and prove the issue with the DTCs that come up.

You are lucky you didn’t own 97-2000 C5...

NONE of the EBTCMs exist new or rebuilt and some of the C5 SWPS don’t exist new or aftermarket. If they fail, you are STUCK with used parts at TWICE the price of a new OEM stuff (if it existed). If you can’t find a good used part, you have a C5 WITHOUT any ABS, AH or TC.

I tried to request information and help with the C5 discontinued parts issue thru Chevy Cust Assistance several times and they basically told me "TOUGH ****, NEXT CASE,,, Oh,,,, You should Check your local Chevy Parts counter for help"

I was baffled and discussed with my last reply from Chevy Cust Assistance. I waited till today to cool off and pass this info on and this post was a good reentry point.

I even offered to make some recommendations that would HELP GM make some money and the C5 owners who couldn’t get new parts. All fell on deaf ears and cold shoulders.

What part of "THESE PARTS ARE NO LONGER SUPPORT!! WE CAN’T GET THESE PARTS FROM GM!!" do the people at the support center can’t get thru their THICK SCULLS???

This AGAIN is a safety concern and NO ONE at GM cares.

Some day very soon, you will walk into your STEALERSHIP and try to get a GM ONLY part for your C6 and they will tell you. Im SORRY Sir. That DEALER ONLY PART is discontinued. Better trade that POS in for a C7 while you can still drive it.

Mark my word,, This parts problem is coming to C6,,,,,,SOON!! Sad Day,, but,,,, its coming.

And they want customer loyalty. LMFAO.

VENTING COMPLETE,,, for now!

Bill Curlee

GM: If you are listening, listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:51 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

There was a GM Customer Service Rep here on CF at one time. Too bad no one on their end would report about this issue to somebody higher up the ladder who can actually do something about it. I thought the corvette was supposed to be "the flagship model?"

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Consumer Action