C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you take action?
Yes, I think its the right thing to do!
68.71%
No, I haven't the time for this.
31.29%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:59 PM
napp e roots
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

has anyone had the AHS activate with the system turned off manually (hold button for 10 seconds)???
Old 01-14-2016, 07:21 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by napp e roots
has anyone had the AHS activate with the system turned off manually (hold button for 10 seconds)???
I have not had the issues with the service active handling since I greased my wheel speed sensor connectors in September.

What I remember was turning off the system and when the failure occurred it activated the brakes. I'm still driving on the same tires and I have a flat spot on my right front tire due to the failure.

So yes, even with the system turned off if the bad connection is detected, even though not in use, it will/can activate the brakes.

This did happen with my car. But there are many reasons that could cause a failure from what I've read here. Your failure might be different.

I ended up in some rocks off road due to the failure I was experiencing. Have a reputable service center look at it immediately. I could have been much worse off than I was. You don't want to end up as a statistic with no records to show what caused the accident.

Last edited by SmileyOr; 01-14-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:43 PM
napp e roots
Advanced

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
I have not had the issues with the service active handling since I greased my wheel speed sensor connectors in September.

What I remember was turning off the system and when the failure occurred it activated the brakes. I'm still driving on the same tires and I have a flat spot on my right front tire due to the failure.

So yes, even with the system turned off if the bad connection is detected, even though not in use, it will/can activate the brakes.

This did happen with my car. But there are many reasons that could cause a failure from what I've read here. Your failure might be different.

I ended up in some rocks off road due to the failure I was experiencing. Have a reputable service center look at it immediately. I could have been much worse off than I was. You don't want to end up as a statistic with no records to show what caused the accident.

What did you do to the speed sensors? grease the part on the hub or the connector?
Old 01-15-2016, 03:14 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Originally Posted by napp e roots
What did you do to the speed sensors? grease the part on the hub or the connector?
Some dialectic grease on the connector to each wheel.

Last edited by SmileyOr; 11-30-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:47 PM
napp e roots
Advanced

has anyone disconnected the steering wheel sensor under the column to disable the AH system? I saw in the track section this was something that works to completely negate the AHS and you still have ABS.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:57 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

I have found that the dialectic grease applied to the wheel speed sensors fixed my issues. Nothing touched in the steering column.

Last edited by SmileyOr; 11-30-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts
2016 C6 of the Year Finalist

I filed a complaint to the nhtsa
Complaint 10839174

I have only seen the SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM message once after recently having normal car servicing done on my car and readjusting the steeling column.
It disappeared after restarting the car and has not reappeared since, however, I have not readjusted the steering column either since.

Dealership has confirmed that all recall notices have been incorporated into my vehicle including 10v172000

Last edited by Jon05vette; 03-01-2016 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Corrected info
Old 03-01-2016, 03:33 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon05vette
I filed a complaint to the nhtsa
Complaint 10839174

I have only seen the SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING SYSTEM message once after recently having normal car servicing done on my car and readjusting the steeling column.
It disappeared after restarting the car and has not reappeared since, however, I have not readjusted the steering column either since.

Dealership has confirmed that all recall notices have been incorporated into my vehicle including 10v172000
Glad you filed a complaint- this is VERY dangerous, and needs to be a mandatory recall.
Oddly enough, this problem started for me after my car was serviced at the dealership. I NEVER adjusted my steering wheel- always remained in the same spot.
My guess is that the service technician adjusted the steering wheel to fit him, and this caused an issue with the steering wheel position sensor.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:06 AM
LA_Z06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Z06
I've read through this whole thread and it's still confusing. So, if I understand correctly, the issue of the active handling coming on inadvertently boils down to two things:

- SWPS itself (rarely seems to be the issue)
- Tension on the connector to the SWPS because of telescoping steering wheel leading to internal arching, which leads to fretting which may cause carbon buildup on the pins which might lead to changing the resistance of the connector and the circuit which ultimately leads to invalid sensor inputs
(https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1565462266)

So if you get the "comb" installed AND you zip tie the wires so there is always some slack so it doesn't pull on the connector AND you disable the feature in the settings that moves the steering wheel in and out to make egress easier, in theory, will this solve this problem?

Has anyone else who has done all 3 "fixes" mentioned above (comb installed, zip tie to allow slack, not moving steering wheel) ever had this issue come back?
I asked this question a while back and didn't really get a response from anyone. I'll "bump" the old post up by quoting it, but the 3 fixes I mentioned should fix the issue based on what many other members have posted throughout this thread and others on the forum. I think a lot of people in this thread are also confusing the "service active handling, service traction control, etc" messages on the DIC that come up with the whole fretting/corrosion of the SWPS which causes the active handling to come on and one or more of the brakes to be applied at random at inappropriate times WHICH also leads to the "service active handling" messages to come up on the DIC.

What would really help is updated input from people who had originally posted in this thread to see if their problems ever came back or if was fine after they fixed it using whatever method they did.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you're active handling IS NOT coming on randomly at the wrong time, your "service active handling" or other message on the DIC is probably because of: Wheel speed sensor, EBCM, BCM, plug wires, battery or loose ground, brake pedal position sensor, low brake fluid level, or any of the other. common issues dating back to the C5.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:36 PM
TrackTimePlease
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

This is why I created a new forum account(No access to my old email to recover my original one)

My car(2005 C6 Z51 6MT, 75k miles) jammed on the front left, then both front brakes, bringing me to a sudden stop. Active Handling was showing in the DIC just like when your car loses traction for any reason... strange I thought, I was only going 10mph through a parking lot. I got out of the car, checked to see if I had run something over, or anything was jammed in the wheels/brakes.... Nothing visible. I get back in, reverse just fine, but as soon as I shift back to first and attempt forward motion BOOM it jams the brakes on AGAIN. I then reclutched, tried again with a little more power, thinking maybe I do have something stuck under the car.... nope, it still brings me to a stop immediately.

At this point, I was freaked out....(Needless to say) I Held the AH button down until the system was fully disabled, after doing this I was able to drive the car back to work. I then started googling and found out about the recall. I knew I had the headlight recall to do anyways, so I called chevy and scheduled them to just take a look at both. When I called, they told me that the recall for Active Handling had been completed in 2010, but that they could check it out anyways. I dropped my car off, received a loaner, and was told that they would start my car the following morning.

After work the next day, I called to check on status of my repairs. The Headlight recall had been completed, but the Tech advised that since the recall for the SWPS had already been done in 2010, and they couldnt find any codes in the ECM, that there was nothing needed. I then told the Service Adviser that I would greatly appreciate if they would simply physically check to see if the repair had in fact been done, as I was worried about a potential crash resulting from this behavior. He agreed and told me he would call me tomorrow.

Day 3 rolls around, no call. I get off work(around 4 PM) and attempt to reach my Service adviser but hes not answering. The receptionist then transferred me to the service manager, who told me he would have my adviser call me back in a few minutes. After my 30minute commute home, I try to call again, STILL no answer. I then decide to just drive up there, since they close at 5:30PM and I wanted an update ASAP. When I arrived the adviser gives me the "OH I WAS JUST ABOUT TO CALL YOU"... maybe he was, but so far my instincts tell me something is up. Sure enough, he tells me "The clip that was installed has come off, so you need a new one installed". OK, I say, "well you told me you had the part in stock before I dropped it off a few days ago, why didnt they just replace it?" He responds, "Since the recall was already completed in 2010, its customer pay, so we needed you to authorize it first". Now Im actually pretty upset... im being told I have to pay for a faulty repair on a recall that could have killed me? NOT HAPPENING.

I told the adviser that there was no way I was going to pay them to fix something that shouldn't have been a problem to begin with, much less for their half assed attempt to band-aid a potentially deadly fault with these cars. He said he would look into seeing about getting it covered, but that my best bet was to call the Chevy Customer Care hotline and have them open a case. After about an hour on the phone, a case was opened. I was told to expect a call back the following day.

Fast forward 2 days, no call back from either the dealer or Customer Care. I called the dealer to see if they had heard anything, they told me that the warranty rep had to review the case. I then called customer care to see if anything had moved on their end, apparently they left a voicemessage for this warranty rep(It was a different title, I cant recall it at the moment) and needed to speak with them before resolving the case. Sooo, I call back again the next day, get bounced around 4 times while trying to get my service adviser , the service manager, or this warranty rep on the phone. Eventually, the Receptionist offers to transfer me to the owner of the dealership. He was rather short, but assured me he would have his service manager call me back within minutes, which he did. At this point, the service manager was very aggressive and categorically denied that they were ever even considering covering this repair because it was "Done over 5 years ago". I told him that the repair either was never done, or they used an inadequate part to satisfy a safety recall, therefore it WAS their(GM/Chevy) responsibility to cover the repair. From what I have read, safety recalls are for the LIFE of the vehicle, and if the exact same symptoms present a recall should be covered. He told me that this was incorrect and if I wanted it fixed I would have to pay for it.

With this lovely information I called Chevy customer care again, only to be slapped in the face when they too tell me that it will not be covered. I passionately pleaded my case, reminded them that this could have killed me, which would most likely have resulting in my insurance filing a lawsuit against GM. My case was then escalated and I was told to expect a call back the next day. THIS AGAIN did not happen... I called back into the Chevy Customer Care only to be told that I had been approved for a $100 Service Letter/Voucher, good towards any future service done at the dealership. While this almost DOUBLES the actual quoted repair cost for this issue, it didnt sit right with me...

The following day I called into the NHTSA, I described my situation and was told by the agent on the phone that "Chevy is correct, after they complete the recall once, you have to pay to have it done again" .....I was speechless... hung up, called Customer Care Back, and accepted their ****** $100 Voucher(Which ive yet to receive, 2 weeks later). I called the dealer back, approved the repair, and got my car back the following Monday.

I know this is a MONSTER post, for that im sorry, but I just wanted to get my story out there. There could be hundreds, or thousands of cars driving around with a repair which could FAIL at any time. If this were to have happened just 15-20 seconds later, I would have been pulling into 50MPH traffic...Furthermore, I can imagine many... MANY much more dangerous scenarios where this active handling malfunction would lead to a potentially deadly crash.

TL;DR

My car allegedly had the SWPS Recall done back in 2010, this repair did NOT hold up leading to my car suddenly slamming on the brakes. Chevy/GM DENIED covering the repair, leaving me to pay out of pocket for a potentially life threatening issue caused by their incompetence.

IF YOU have a C6 which was part of this recall, PLEASE get it checked. Ill be filing a new complaint with the NHTSA at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

I urge any of you who experience the same sort of BS to do the same.
The following users liked this post:
Jon05vette (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts
2016 C6 of the Year Finalist

Does anyone have a procedure or photos of how to check this connector?

I would like to check GM's workmanship on the recall fix myself

Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Sk11gs
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake failure

I have a 2011 GS and have had the same problem.
Going through a curve the brakes took over, we came a cat hair from hitting a car head on.

What can we do to have GM to address this issue.
A friend has a 2007 Z06 and has has similar issues.

Sonny,
The following users liked this post:
hippiefreak67 (12-26-2019)
Old 04-18-2016, 03:48 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

So if the vehicle has the telescoping wheel, but you never use the telescoping feature (i.e. always in the retracted position) will that minimize or eliminate the risk of a failure? I have my memory seat set to retract the wheel on exit and to extend it slightly on startup, perhaps I should re-adjust my seating position to leave the telescoping wheel in one place at all times?

I am confused about the recall status; On Safercar.gov and GM owners' my VIN does not show a recall for the SWPS, but a search for 2006 Corvette (not using the VIN) does show a recall for the sensor.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V172000

Will they only perform the service if you have DTC's? It seems like they would want the problem fixed before your car goes careening into oncoming traffic, not after.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:52 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by WhoIsPat
So if the vehicle has the telescoping wheel, but you never use the telescoping feature (i.e. always in the retracted position) will that minimize or eliminate the risk of a failure? I have my memory seat set to retract the wheel on exit and to extend it slightly on startup, perhaps I should re-adjust my seating position to leave the telescoping wheel in one place at all times?
&PrintVersion=YES"]NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V172000[/URL]

Will they only perform the service if you have DTC's? It seems like they would want the problem fixed before your car goes careening into oncoming traffic, not after.
I personally would try to minimize movement of the telescoping wheel (turn off the exit position movement option).
However- make sure you tell your mechanic/service shop NOT to move the steering wheel.
My problem started after my car was serviced, and the technician probably adjusted the steering wheel since I'm tall. The problem occurred as soon as I picked up the car (literally as I pulled out of the dealership- 400 feet out of the driveway). I had the service manager drive the car, and of course- it temporarily went away and he wasn't able to experience the brakes locking and all the warning lights popping up in the DIC. He had no clue what the problem was, and I didn't either until discovering this thread.

GM isn't making this a mandatory recall (which is mind-boggling), but luckily the fix is only $20 out of pocket (parts and labor).
Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 PM
oldyellerz51
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm having a similar problem. I purchased a 05 Z51 manual car with telescoping wheel about 1 1/2 years ago. On 3 separate occasions I have had the front brakes applied and I keep getting the Service Active Handling and Service Traction Control come across the DIC.. I should mention on the 3 occasions that the brakes have been applied were under spirited driving conditions. 2 times it happened I hit a bump in the road at a high rate of speed and the front brakes were applied for an instant followed by a message across the DIC. The other time that scared the **** out of me I was taking a right hand curve at a high rate of speed and it started applying brake to the driver side front. I had to fight the wheel with all my might to keep it in my lane and from straitening out the curve.. then up comes the messages across the DIC... I am very familiar with this curve and the car was stuck very well, I was in full control at the time brake was suddenly applied. I've had other times where I'm driving under normal conditions and the Service Traction Control message appears.

I don't know if it matters, it is a Z51 but has coilovers and adjustable sway bars.

I just happened to stumble across this thread while doing a search on my steering column lock issue...

Last edited by oldyellerz51; 04-22-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:58 AM
rldavid71
Cruising

Default Active Handling / Involuntary Front Brake Application

First of all let me apologize for not posting the solid results the XLR Tech and GM engineers have achieved sooner. I'd noted in my September post there a lot of wiring / connector changes and eliminations going on.

After all modifications were deemed complete, I allowed Mauro, the dealer shop supervisor, and certified XLR tech to keep the XLR for several months. This allowed periodic driving, in different weather conditions, onto different road conditions and traffic conditions. A little over 1,000 miles were put on for testing. Then, I picked it up and brought it home to El Paso and periodically tested it myself. After a couple of months, my Wife finally felt she'd like to drive it to an event. Over the past 2-3 months she has driven to the office several times and to a number of area business events.

I have hesitated to post for some time and plenty of use to be as sure as I possibly could be. There has been no return of the issue.

Mauro has recently mailed me some notes and drawings which should indicate the changes made to the wiring and connectors.

I promise I will stay home for a few days and get these written up, and scan his drawings.
I did ask Mauro if he wanted me to pass on his contact information, but, understandably, given the several month ordeal, he's not excited to do so. (But, he does work at certain Chevrolet dealer in Las Cruces, NM).
I'll be back with information within these next few days.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:19 AM
rldavid71
Cruising

Default Active Handling Service Issue - Resolution

I am attaching the wiring diagram showing the lines and connectors that were changed, modified, and, in some cases deleted. I have written a condensed version of what occurred.

I hope this helps all of you who've experienced, and perhaps suffered with this GM failure, not yet admitted to, much less addressed in a final way.

Of course, I will also be posting this info on the XLR Forum.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 04-26-2016, 01:46 AM
rldavid71
Cruising

Default Service Active Handling

Also, to address thoughts of not using the "telescope" feature, just install/replace the "comb" and you'll be good. Well, maybe for some, but, certainly not for all. Not by a long shot.

Regardless whether the "comb" has been installed/replaced, there will always be the "opportunity" for one, or both of the front brakes to lock...at any speed, angle of steer, and, any time. The Dealer's computer will say you need a new steering position sensor, or yaw sensor, or EBCM. The computer is wrong in nearly every instance when this issue is occurring.

Please keep in mind we are addressing an issue which is electrical in nature. The main point is the connectivity point of wire-to-wire and/or wire-to- sensor is the physical issue. What I finally got two (2) GM engineers to realize and work with is that IF there is an intermittent connection at any of these points related to active handling, the computer WILL BE FOOLED into thinking its a sensor issue. I, and I'm sure others have paid hundreds of dollars for sensor replacements which were not required. And typically, your Dealer will be happy to replace one or all each time the computer tells them to, even though they can readily see they may have replaced one or all within a very few months time frame.

The resolution lies in the connections, pins to receivers to connector. This is what finally worked on our XLR...same system as the corvette.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:17 PM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts

My 07 Z06 has not had any of these issues, but after I saw this thread, I pulled the panel and looked at the connection. There is a black tiewrap around the wire bundle right at the connector. Is this one of GM's high tech fixes? I cleaned the connectors with CRC contact cleaner and plan to stop using the telescope feature.

I bought a clip, but I think I'd have to remove the tiewrap and some of the black tape to install it and I'm not sure I want to do that. I've also seen where it was recommended tiewraping the sensor wires to the throttle wires.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:33 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Seriously.

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Consumer Action