C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you take action?
Yes, I think its the right thing to do!
68.71%
No, I haven't the time for this.
31.29%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
Each wheel has a plug that is the connection to the wheel speed sensor. Disconnect and apply the grease there at each wheel.

This has prevented my issues since last September. Other than one day when the Service Active Handling lights came on and didn't clear with a restart. Next day and every day since I have been fine.
Are you putting the grease on the rubber boot or on the actual pin connection locations?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Right on the metal pins themselves.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Right on the metal pins themselves.
I do not think that is well advised.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:31 AM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Got uid0
I do not think that is well advised.
I'd put the grease on the rubber and clean the connector with CRC electric contact/connector cleaner.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:58 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

I put it directly on the metal and have had only the one day that the SAH lights came on since September of 2015.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 AM
06Rawpower
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Mileage

Originally Posted by tim87tr
I will file a complaint for this serious problem, in addition to the roof complaint I already filed (GM would not repair my roof that was about to fly off due to a previous "repair").

My active handling activates almost weekly at lower speeds while turning, even with the traction control off. The problem is it locks up the front brakes!! While this may not sound too serious at low speeds, imagine pulling out into traffic and the brakes lock up on your car. It occurs pulling onto grass or loose gravel also, especially in turns. I have to turn the car off and restart it for it to move again.

The problem first occurred last Fall and I finally addressed it with the local GM shop with TSB 06-02-35-0002B on 1/2/09 ($88.15 service), which added a clip to the SWPC connector. It did not correct the problem long term. I do have stock size street tires on my car also.
I'm a new to me 06 corvette owner, 3 weeks, my Vette has 31,000 miles on it. Is there a certain amount of mileage on these cars that start having these TC/AH problems? I haven't experienced any problems yet but I'm extremely concerned. This is my first Vette plus I don't need to be in an accident. My 06 Z51 convertible does have the telescoping steering wheel.
From what I'm hearing, I'm really glad that I didn't buy a coupe with tops flying off! Thank you for posting the safety issue bulletin!

Last edited by 06Rawpower; 07-15-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:51 PM
partisan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is my first day of the noted problem. The DIC warning light stays on but I haven't had my brakes lock up yet. The local dealer charges $110 for a code test to find the problem. Is this a test I should have done right away or can I just turn it off and forget about it?
Old 07-21-2016, 06:00 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Several things cause the DIC lights to come on. It's best to have it checked and repaired as soon as possible.

It could be the steering column connector, the wheel speed connectors at each wheel or the electronics unit that controls them.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:05 PM
partisan
Instructor

Several things cause the DIC lights to come on. It's best to have it checked and repaired as soon as possible.

It could be the steering column connector, the wheel speed connectors at each wheel or the electronics unit that controls them.
Thanks!
Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 PM
dreamvette05
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sudden brake application

Experiencing a sudden right front brake application at variety of speeds. Car had a trouble code associated with the steering position sensor. Dealer replaced sensor and examined the connector and clip on steering column. Supposed clip to fix problem was installed in 2010. Connector clip installation DOES NOT correct problem. After steering sensor replaced a second trouble code was detected concerning yaw sensor. Dealer is chasing problem and running out of options. Contacted customer service at GM and they are not willing to participate in either the repair or get to the bottom of the problem. Contacted NHTSA and only received a general response. In the meantime the car is not safe to drive as the brake locks at highway speed and below. By all means if experiencing this problem contact anyone who will listen. The dealer is checking the yaw sensor issue soon.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 PM
partisan
Instructor

Originally Posted by dreamvette05
Experiencing a sudden right front brake application at variety of speeds. Car had a trouble code associated with the steering position sensor. Dealer replaced sensor and examined the connector and clip on steering column. Supposed clip to fix problem was installed in 2010. Connector clip installation DOES NOT correct problem. After steering sensor replaced a second trouble code was detected concerning yaw sensor. Dealer is chasing problem and running out of options. Contacted customer service at GM and they are not willing to participate in either the repair or get to the bottom of the problem. Contacted NHTSA and only received a general response. In the meantime the car is not safe to drive as the brake locks at highway speed and below. By all means if experiencing this problem contact anyone who will listen. The dealer is checking the yaw sensor issue soon.

Starting to make the Shelby GT 350R look better and better.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:22 PM
dreamvette05
4th Gear

Originally Posted by partisan
Starting to make the Shelby GT 350R look better and better.
I agree!!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:57 AM
cormudd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lottavettes
Is it problem only with the telescopic steering wheel option?
Oh Oh
Old 08-22-2016, 01:04 AM
cormudd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marconi7
Where do you put the grease? Isn't dielectric grease used as a insulator?
Some electric grease conducts but prevents corrosion. Some does insulate but is for specific applications. Ham radio stores sell a dielectric grease for large antenna connection points. It prevents corrosion but allows conductivity from metal to metal. One of those things where you really have to do the homework before you buy...
Old 09-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Blackpunisher
Heel & Toe

Default Another Vette with Service Active Issue....

Originally Posted by novaz06
Any luck with this? Thanks for taking the initiative. I contacted the listed personnel about my experience.
Hello and is nice but unfortunately have same problem to other people
Just got my Corvette about 1 Month and realize this issue. Really is not good and with forum I have ready contact the DOT
I hope they will resolve this problem

Thank you to all

Enzo
Old 09-07-2016, 10:09 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Having all 3 traction/anti-lock brake/active handling lights come on. Scanner reading 2 codes for drivers side rear wheel speed sensor.

Has anyone tried replacing the wheel speed sensor harness with any success? Can get them on Amazon and other sites for about $30, easier and much cheaper than replacing the whole sensor hub. Should I try it?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:31 AM
red500man
Advanced

I am looking to buy a c6, is this problem on all years or are some not included in this problem?

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 02-19-2017, 10:54 AM
dreamvette05
4th Gear

Default brake lock up

Originally Posted by red500man
I am looking to buy a c6, is this problem on all years or are some not included in this problem?
As far as I know it applies to 2005 and 2006 production years. There is a crossover to other GM product lines within the same time frame exhibiting the same problem. A replacement of the steering position sensor and the yaw sensor has seemed to "solve" the problem. I am still wary of the situation. If it occurs again I will disable the system manually which is possible by holding the traction control button for ten seconds or more. GM seems to very aware of the problem. NHTSA has been no help even after thousands of complaints. I have reported it but have had no contact from anyone at NHTSA. GM has issued a voucher for partial reimbursement for the repair but it required a lot of persistence to get them to move forward. I would not let this deter you from buying a C6. It is a great car and I am sure this will get solved. A lot of fun for the money!
The following users liked this post:
06Rawpower (02-19-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:18 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

i have an 08 andit has reared its ugly head on a couple of occasions. i just move the steering wheel a little and it clears up for a time.
The following users liked this post:
hippiefreak67 (12-26-2019)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Anthony_08
4th Gear

Just called the 1-800 number provided for NHTSA and filed my complaint as mine is doing the same thing.

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Consumer Action