C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you take action?
Yes, I think its the right thing to do!
68.71%
No, I haven't the time for this.
31.29%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 12-21-2014, 04:28 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Default Done

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
vetteblondie

There are no combs or easy fixes for the C5 SWPS. If it checks bad,,, it’s BAD. You should have been able to read your own DTCs on a C5 and prove the issue with the DTCs that come up.

You are lucky you didn’t own 97-2000 C5...

NONE of the EBTCMs exist new or rebuilt and some of the C5 SWPS don’t exist new or aftermarket. If they fail, you are STUCK with used parts at TWICE the price of a new OEM stuff (if it existed). If you can’t find a good used part, you have a C5 WITHOUT any ABS, AH or TC.

I tried to request information and help with the C5 discontinued parts issue thru Chevy Cust Assistance several times and they basically told me "TOUGH ****, NEXT CASE,,, Oh,,,, You should Check your local Chevy Parts counter for help"

I was baffled and discussed with my last reply from Chevy Cust Assistance. I waited till today to cool off and pass this info on and this post was a good reentry point.

I even offered to make some recommendations that would HELP GM make some money and the C5 owners who couldn’t get new parts. All fell on deaf ears and cold shoulders.

What part of "THESE PARTS ARE NO LONGER SUPPORT!! WE CAN’T GET THESE PARTS FROM GM!!" do the people at the support center can’t get thru their THICK SCULLS???

This AGAIN is a safety concern and NO ONE at GM cares.

Some day very soon, you will walk into your STEALERSHIP and try to get a GM ONLY part for your C6 and they will tell you. Im SORRY Sir. That DEALER ONLY PART is discontinued. Better trade that POS in for a C7 while you can still drive it.

Mark my word,, This parts problem is coming to C6,,,,,,SOON!! Sad Day,, but,,,, its coming.

And they want customer loyalty. LMFAO.

VENTING COMPLETE,,, for now!

Bill Curlee
Originally Posted by B-Vette
There was a GM Customer Service Rep here on CF at one time. Too bad no one on their end would report about this issue to somebody higher up the ladder who can actually do something about it. I thought the corvette was supposed to be "the flagship model?"
You are correct. I do not fault the Cust Serv Rep. We are grateful that GM has assigned Reps to monitor. They pay particular attention to C7 Discussion and are doing a very good job IMOP. But this issue goes way before any customer service reps were assigned to monitor the CF. The issue is not with the Rep. The issue is with GM.

What that in mind, I've taken the step of notifying GM, via Chevy Cust Svc on 21 Dec 2014 at 1516hrs, about this on-going safety issue. I requested that they forward the following links to the CEO of GM and her Risk Management Team:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=3578438
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1565196,
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2336065, paying particular attn to page 39

Update: I rec'd no response from our Chevy Cust Svc to date that it's been forwarded. As U can imagine, this is still a hot potato. I'm sure it's been sent to CYA. I know I would.
Reminds me of Pearl Harbor... Lt is alerted to incoming planes on radar. Lt says must be our fleet from Hickam Field on practice run. The point? U don't want to be that Lt.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 12-24-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: periodic update
Old 01-18-2015, 04:15 PM
Ahzuz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do I have to check next if I tried the comb fix (both versions, I had the earlier comb in already) , I did put the latest comb and it didnt fix it, I checked the wires and everything, it's not the wire disconnecting.

Everytime I do a long slow 8 figure it engages, wheel locks and i have to restart the car.

What are my next options ?
Old 01-18-2015, 05:57 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Swps

Originally Posted by Ahzuz
What do I have to check next if I tried the comb fix (both versions, I had the earlier comb in already) , I did put the latest comb and it didnt fix it, I checked the wires and everything, it's not the wire disconnecting.

Everytime I do a long slow 8 figure it engages, wheel locks and i have to restart the car.

What are my next options ?
Once I put the SWPS in mine it fixed mine.I did it myself.54.00 part
Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 PM
vetteblondie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well - this thread ends for me - just totaled my car, that light was on, was told it was a steering issue, when I tried to stop, car started jerking, couldn't stop car and ran it up under the *** end of a Dodge pickup - Whoever gets it from the salvage yard can fix it I suppose ....
Old 01-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteblondie
Well - this thread ends for me - just totaled my car, that light was on, was told it was a steering issue, when I tried to stop, car started jerking, couldn't stop car and ran it up under the *** end of a Dodge pickup - Whoever gets it from the salvage yard can fix it I suppose ....
Oh man, that's horrible! I feel very sorry for you ..
Old 01-18-2015, 07:50 PM
GM TECH
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteblondie
Well, now that just sucks at the highest possible vacuum. Hope you and the others got through this uninjured.

Cheers - Major Boyd
Old 01-19-2015, 10:41 AM
baileysade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Swps by-pass

Originally Posted by baileysade
Thanks for the view. In my research via this forum it appears that I may have an issue with my SWPS ( steering wheel position sensor). The remedial ( unit replacement) appears quite involved. Dealer fix also appears to be quite expensive.
Am still evaluating options.
After the multitude of correspondence regarding this issue, when will G M own up to it's responsibilities. Please let us know how we can deactivate the SWPS functionality on our cars before we are seriously injured. Those of us ( and their are quite a few) do not "track race" our cars & therefore are not in need of this "action handling" feature. Please let us delete this from our cars !
Old 02-17-2015, 07:05 PM
LA_Z06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have the part number ? Is this a DYI job for non-mechanics ?

Thank you

I really need to fix this issue.
Just curious, did you fix this issue?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:18 PM
LA_Z06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've read through this whole thread and it's still confusing. So, if I understand correctly, the issue of the active handling coming on inadvertently boils down to two things:

- SWPS itself (rarely seems to be the issue)
- Tension on the connector to the SWPS because of telescoping steering wheel leading to internal arching, which leads to fretting which may cause carbon buildup on the pins which might lead to changing the resistance of the connector and the circuit which ultimately leads to invalid sensor inputs
(https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1565462266)

So if you get the "comb" installed AND you zip tie the wires so there is always some slack so it doesn't pull on the connector AND you disable the feature in the settings that moves the steering wheel in and out to make egress easier, in theory, will this solve this problem?

Has anyone else who has done all 3 "fixes" mentioned above (comb installed, zip tie to allow slack, not moving steering wheel) ever had this issue come back?
Old 02-20-2015, 12:27 AM
rb3016
1st Gear

Do you have the part number ? Is this a DYI job for non-mechanics ?

Thank you

I really need to fix this issue.
Did you ever receive part number from LUWEEGY relative SWPS?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Domiknow
Heel & Toe

Default Definitely Scared the Sh*# out of Me!

I've had a few "random" instances of active handling activating for no reason. They were always at very low speeds and the worst time was when I was stopped at a stop light. The active handling came on and completely locked up the wheels where I couldn't move at all. Had to turn off the car and restart to fix it.

Well it's been a little over a month with no issues... until today! This time it started to activate while traveling 60 MPH! Instantly started causing me to veer left into on-coming traffic. Luckily it was intermittently coming on so I was able to control the vehicle and keep going (preventing the car behind me from rear ending me). Once I turned off to a side road it started activating again and eventually locked up completely. After I restarted it showed "active handling calibrating" then never came on again.

This not only now makes me not want to drive my vette but obviously pisses me off as well. I'll be parking it until I can take it to the dealer. Man I hope this can be fixed!

Most of the articles and threads I read were all while traveling at very low speeds so I wanted to post this as proof it's happening at highway speeds also.

Every occurrence on dry pavement.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:25 AM
bauer6210
4th Gear

Default Parts and diagrams

Originally Posted by Luweegy
Once I put the SWPS in mine it fixed mine.I did it myself.54.00 part
Where did you get your part? Number also would be useful. And diagram of the repair. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:31 PM
JCTaylor21
Instructor

Originally Posted by Domiknow
I've had a few "random" instances of active handling activating for no reason. They were always at very low speeds and the worst time was when I was stopped at a stop light. The active handling came on and completely locked up the wheels where I couldn't move at all. Had to turn off the car and restart to fix it.

Well it's been a little over a month with no issues... until today! This time it started to activate while traveling 60 MPH! Instantly started causing me to veer left into on-coming traffic. Luckily it was intermittently coming on so I was able to control the vehicle and keep going (preventing the car behind me from rear ending me). Once I turned off to a side road it started activating again and eventually locked up completely. After I restarted it showed "active handling calibrating" then never came on again.

This not only now makes me not want to drive my vette but obviously pisses me off as well. I'll be parking it until I can take it to the dealer. Man I hope this can be fixed!

Most of the articles and threads I read were all while traveling at very low speeds so I wanted to post this as proof it's happening at highway speeds also.

I believe this is the thread I started about this issue, not sure. I can also confirm that it happens a various speeds. My problem is not related to the SWPS. I had a 2005 coupe, that had the recall work done and know about this problem, but this car is a 2011 Z06, with Z07 Ultimate Performance Package. These late production cars didn't have the SWPS issue, but I do have a problem with Active Handling intervening when it shouldn’t.

My original post was to ask the question, if it is possible to replace the hardware and software, to convert the car from the old Active Handling / Stability Control to the newer (2012-2013) Performance Traction Management System. I believe that same hardware and software (developed by Bosch for GM) carried over to the C7.

My problem happens mostly on track, if I’m going into a sweeping left turn. If I coast or engine brake in 4th gear turning slightly to the left, in track mode, with the F55 **** in performance mode, it will apply brakes to the passenger front, in a jerky kind of way. If I leave it in full Nanny mode, it's way worse. If I carry some maintenance throttle, it doesn’t do it as much. I suspect it could be as simple as a sensor, but the dealership’s service guys haven’t been able to find anything wrong with it. They gave me a data collector, to plug in on one of my track days / HPDE and I took snapshots, when it happened, but when they looked at the data, they couldn’t find anything ‘outside of normal operating parameters”. But I’m telling you, this kicks in when there is absolutely no danger of roll over or even oversteer (back end coming out). Not even close to the limits. In fact it’s happened on the street a couple of times just tooling around. On track days, the problem just gets worse. The more it happens, the worse it gets. One day, I nearly had an Aston Martin run into the back of me because it engaged both front brakes and nearly brought me to a stop. He and the Corner Marshall thought I was brake checking him on purpose and black flagged me. I had officials waiting for me, in the pits when I got back wanting an explanation.

The Active Handling / Stability Control system is crap. I have a suspicion that the new Performance Traction Management system, developed by Bosch is far superior and I would not have this problem. Yes, I can turn all Nannies off, but I want whatever system I have to work. My frustration is, that the service department, at the dealership can’t find anything wrong with it, but there surely is.

Last edited by JCTaylor21; 06-15-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by JCTaylor21
I believe this is the thread I started about this issue, not sure. I can also confirm that it happens a various speeds. My problem is not related to the SWPS. I had a 2005 coupe, that had the recall work done and know about this problem, but this car is a 2011 Z06, with Z07 Ultimate Performance Package. These late production cars didn't have the SWPS issue, but I do have a problem with Active Handling intervening when it shouldn’t.

My original post was to ask the question, if it is possible to replace the hardware and software, to convert the car from the old Active Handling / Stability Control to the newer (2012-2013) Performance Traction Management System. I believe that same hardware and software (developed by Bosch for GM) carried over to the C7.

My problem happens mostly on track, if I’m going into a sweeping left turn. If I coast or engine brake in 4th gear turning slightly to the left, in track mode, with the F55 **** in performance mode, it will apply brakes to the passenger front, in a jerky kind of way. If I leave it in full Nanny mode, it's way worse. If I carry some maintenance throttle, it doesn’t do it as much. I suspect it could be as simple as a sensor, but the dealership’s service guys haven’t been able to find anything wrong with it. They gave me a data collector, to plug in on one of my track days / HPDE and I took snapshots, when it happened, but when they looked at the data, they couldn’t find anything ‘outside of normal operating parameters”. But I’m telling you, this kicks in when there is absolutely no danger of roll over or even oversteer (back end coming out). Not even close to the limits. In fact it’s happened on the street a couple of times just tooling around. On track days, the problem just gets worse. The more it happens, the worse it gets. One day, I nearly had an Aston Martin run into the back of me because it engaged both front brakes and nearly brought me to a stop. He and the Corner Marshall thought I was brake checking him on purpose and black flagged me. I had officials waiting for me, in the pits when I got back wanting an explanation.

The Active Handling / Stability Control system is crap. I have a suspicion that the new Performance Traction Management system, developed by Bosch is far superior and I would not have this problem. Yes, I can turn all Nannies off, but I want whatever system I have to work. My frustration is, that the service department, at the dealership can’t find anything wrong with it, but there surely is.
Hi JCTaylor21,

I am deeply sorry to hear about your Stability Control concerns. I can understand your reservation with your diagnostic and know it can be especially difficult when the symptom is intermittent.

We definitely want to look into this further. Please send us a private message along with your VIN, mileage, contact information and involved dealership.

Kindly,

Kaylee D.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-18-2015, 09:59 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

TCTayler21: I've had similar experiences on track, especially fast sweeping off camber turns with rough pavement. Hardware failures will normally throw codes (had those also) and shut the system down.

My guidance for performance driving on track even you could upgrade would be to turn the nannies off once you have a few track days under your belt and the nannies start getting in your way.

The C7 stability control is very impressive, but we are talking 10 yr newer technology.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:20 PM
2268irma
Intermediate

Default active handling switch

Originally Posted by valdeztke
Glad to hear you are taking steps to have this resolved and bolstering our efforts to FORCE GM to look at this as a BIG safety issue and less of an annoyance.

Two points that I continue to stress to the DOT -

After shutting down the system (holding the button for 6 seconds) and if you trigger the mysterious SAH message - AH comes BACK ON due to an error.

The previous "clip fix" clearly wasn't the actual problem. I've been talking to the DOT rather frequently and they are seeing more and more alarming engineering behind this issue on their test car in Ohio. They have been able, without much effort, reproduce all the problems listed in this thread.

I encourage you all to continue to touch base with them. I would be happy if GM would at least release a system update that would allow me to turn off the AH WITHOUT IT COMING BACK IN. At least this way I know the car's steering and overall control rest in my hands and I'm not competing with the various stability control components.
If you disconnect the wiring to the switch will that temporally cure the problem till they get the problem fixed. Bob
Old 06-29-2015, 08:09 PM
Hollywood57
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Domiknow

Domiknow,

First of all I want to thank you for your service to this country.

Secondly I would like to know what year your Vette is and did you have the stearing wheel fully extended out? I know that seams like a dumb question but it has been linked to the cause of this issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Consumer Action

Old 07-02-2015, 02:34 PM
rldavid71
Cruising

Default My Stabilitrak Issues Update

Originally Posted by 2268irma
If you disconnect the wiring to the switch will that temporally cure the problem till they get the problem fixed. Bob
Following is what I have experienced and tried regarding this issue affecting the Corvette community as well as the XLR community:

I am hoping GM can get this issue finally taken care of:

The '05 XLR I bought for my Wife (25,xxx miles) went through this also. Bought the car in 2013 and when this started occurring, it did not happen to me if I were driving, but my Wife, at 5'2" was getting it at a quickly increasing frequency. Took it to the only local dealer three different times, amounting to approximately 2.5 months. I'd first done some research both in this forum and the corvette forum. Checked to see if the harness had received the orange comb from the TSB. It was there, but put in backwards. I corrected it, and no issue for a short period. But, then started again, resulting in going to the dealer.
First I was told it needed the steering position sensor. Ok, had it replaced. Soon back to the same issue. Back to the dealer for a while, then told it needed the yaw sensor. Guaranteed that was the issue and replacement would finally solve it. Ok, had it replaced.
Drove the car away, within a couple of miles, same issue. Drove it back, got the service manager and told him how unhappy I was.
I am not an engineer, much less an electrical engineer. However, I believe i have some fairly good deductive skills and have maintained cars and rebuilt classics for more years than I can probably remember clearly. The manager plugged in his dealer OBD and kept getting differing messages. I told him I believed it had to be within the connections/connectivity of the harnesses. He ignored me and told me it needed a new yaw sensor. Told him his folks had just replaced it and that he had guaranteed me that was the solution. After a few more minutes with the reader he told me it needed the steering position sensor. Told him his folks had replaced that the first time less than two months ago. He asked for time. Left it with him.
Two to three weeks later he called and I went by the dealership. He said it needed the body control module. I said no, give me the car and I'll do it my way.
Ordered a new steering column harness for $123 and took to a nearby Chevy dealer. Asked them to install it. Got it back and it did not have an issue...until a couple of weeks ago.
Through this forum, I learned about certified XLR techs. Found out from the Chevy dealer that the Cadillac dealer had a certified XLR tech at their other dealership (chevy, then became chevy/cadillac recently) in another state, nearby.
Took the car to them, learning their tech had recently opened his own shop, but the service manager had also been one. Left it with them this past Friday. Received a call on Wednesday that it needed the yaw sensor...gremlins doing their misdirection again?!?
Told them to check again. Check the harness to see if the comb had been replaced when the new harness had been installed, and the tightness of the pin connectors, with the steering column harness and further down the line.
I'd been asking my Wife if the steering column was still moving when she got in and out, her assuring me that she had been able to set her seat to a position that didn't require the steering wheel to adjust. Was talking with her when she got in a short while back and I saw the steering wheel was adjusting a good bit. That was just a two to three months ago, now the issue.
So for about a year it had been moving.
I think GM has been quite negligent on this issue and have read at least one death has occurred in the corvette community.
My Wife is very anxious and actually scared of this car now. - See more at: http://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadill...ed=1#post61386
Old 07-02-2015, 05:03 PM
2268irma
Intermediate

Default Stability and gas leak problem

There must be a few good lawyers who own Vettes maybe we could start a class action law suit for these problems before people start getting killed. They are ignoring these problems like they ignored the switch problem. They won't do anything till it costs them more in liability than to repair the problems. And they wonder why people buy Foreign cars.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:13 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a recent concern and question with this issue. I have had this problem in the past on my vette. Had the recall performed and it went away. Well it kinda surfaced one more time on a short drive. Called the dealership and they wont touch it because the "recall has already been performed". Is there a work around for this. Obviously its a problem and needs to be corrected.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Consumer Action