C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Air Filters keep getting wet...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:44 PM
c6_noob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Air Filters keep getting wet...

I searched and haven't seen any complaints about wet air filters on here. Whenever it rains or i wash the car, my air filters get wet. I'm sure its the front hood seal that's allowing the water in. Anyone else having this issue? If the dealer replaces the seal..will this fix it? More importantly, is there a better aftermarket air box that will alleviate the exposed filters altogether? Can't believe the airfilters are completely exposed the way they are.

Thanks...
Old 05-25-2009, 06:05 PM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

Try the C6 section??
Old 05-26-2009, 07:53 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Well, I haven't heard of this being an issue. Are you bending down and spraying water up thorugh the grill or up from underneath the front facia? I don't know of another way to get it in there.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

From your screen name you must have a C6 but you don't show it in your profile. '05 to '07 used one style, '08 and '09 use another.

No stock C6 has exposed filter('s).

'05 to '07 has 2 filters, 1 on each side of the intake snorkel but they are completely covered by the filter box with only small slots on the side for air to enter.

'08 and up has 1 filter, again completely covered by the stock airbox with only small slots to allow air to the filter.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:43 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Do you have the removable sheild on top of the air filter housing? Maybe the previous owner discarded it. It is designed to deflect water away from the filter.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Cherokeedoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by c6_noob
I searched and haven't seen any complaints about wet air filters on here. Whenever it rains or i wash the car, my air filters get wet. I'm sure its the front hood seal that's allowing the water in. Anyone else having this issue? If the dealer replaces the seal..will this fix it? More importantly, is there a better aftermarket air box that will alleviate the exposed filters altogether? Can't believe the airfilters are completely exposed the way they are.

Thanks...
Any chance you are talking about cabin air filters ??????????
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 AM
c6_noob
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses... let me clarify on all of them..

I have an '06 with 2 engine air filters. The front hood seal is positioned directly above the airboxes. I am not spraying water aggressively in any places such as on the seal or through the grille. In fact, to test the theory, I just sprayed the hood up by the windshield and let it run down the hood. I took out the air filters so i could tell how much water was penetrating, and the airbox had a ton of water standing in it.

I'm a bit curious about this "removable shield" that was mentioned... i've seen no such item on my car. I'll snap a pic and post it. Do you have a pic with this removable shield that i can compare to?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Terminology? Airbox means the rectangular black plastic housings to the left and right of the intake snorkel. How could they hold water?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM
c6_noob
Intermediate

Default Here's the pic...

Check out the pic below... Notice that the air filter is completely exposed, and sits directly underneath the front hood seal. Is this a stock airbox? Or perhaps did the previous owner put an aftermarket box on?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Those are stock MODIFIED airboxes! The ends are supposed to be sealed. The previous owner cut the ends off, that's why you're getting water in the filters.
TXC6Z51
Racer

My car has the same airbox so I would venture to say that its stock, unless we both bought used vettes with the same after market parts.
c6_noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by haljensen
Terminology? Airbox means the rectangular black plastic housings to the left and right of the intake snorkel. How could they hold water?
Understood. When you remove the top half of the housing and the filter, as if you were changing the filters out... there is a perfect place to hold water.

Thanks for all your help, this is driving me nuts after my weekend trip to Abilene amidst all the rain. Car sputtered and died because there was so much water in there... pretty concerning
Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 AM
c6_noob
Intermediate

Those are stock MODIFIED airboxes! The ends are supposed to be sealed. The previous owner cut the ends off, that's why you're getting water in the filters.
Well they weren't just cut off i suspect... it's done too perfectly. Any chance you can send me or post a pic of yours so i know what ii'm looking for when i go shopping around?

I assume the previous owner had this as a weekend cruiser, so he did not care, whereas i use it daily...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 AM
TXC6Z51
Racer

Hummm
Old 05-26-2009, 12:09 PM
c6_noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TXC6Z51
My car has the same airbox so I would venture to say that its stock, unless we both bought used vettes with the same after market parts.
Do you have any issues with water as i described?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:14 PM
TXC6Z51
Racer

Originally Posted by c6_noob
Do you have any issues with water as i described?
No, mine isnt a daily driver, but I did take it on a road trip this last weekend and drove through some massive rain 2 days in a row without any issues.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:24 PM
c6_noob
Intermediate

No, mine isnt a daily driver, but I did take it on a road trip this last weekend and drove through some massive rain 2 days in a row without any issues.
Oddly..... mine is fine when driving it... but not when it sits in the rain.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Air Filters keep getting wet...

Old 05-26-2009, 12:29 PM
c6_noob
Intermediate

So here's the real question... when you wash your car... if you look under the hood is that area wet at all? Perhaps, it's just that the seal itself is bad, hence you are not having any issues...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:38 PM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski
Do you have the removable sheild on top of the air filter housing? Maybe the previous owner discarded it. It is designed to deflect water away from the filter.
There is a plastic cover that snaps on top of those filter boxes. Yours is missing the top piece.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:44 PM
c6_noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaveC6
There is a plastic cover that snaps on top of those filter boxes. Yours is missing the top piece.
Excellent... thanks Dave. I'll go digging for that to see what i can find.

And FYI... Corvette Forum ROCKS.

Quick Reply: C6 Air Filters keep getting wet...