C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading suspension...to what

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading suspension...to what

I have a 09 C6 M6 Z51 and took to track all day on Monday (road course)..the car was great but wanted to upgrade suspension/sway bars etc.....the car creeks over bumps and rough pavement after the track day I think do to the hardcore driving I did..I wanted a good track setup..what suspension would you recommend? Z06 sways?????? I will plan to have better rubber then stock tires for track days.

trapp

Last edited by trapp; 06-09-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
I I will plan to have been rubber then stock for track days.

trapp
Not sure what that means. The Z51 sways are fine, the biggest improvement will be swapping to non runflat R compounds for the track. After that upgrade to Koni FSD or coilovers.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Beatitt
Not sure what that means. The Z51 sways are fine, the biggest improvement will be swapping to non runflat R compounds for the track. After that upgrade to Koni FSD or coilovers.
I will be upgrading to R compound tires for track days......sorry for the typo..
Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IF you are pretty new to the sport, just drive the crap out of it for a bit. Then figure out were you would like to go from there. Work on the brakes, driver, suspension, cooling and then horsepower-aero. Sorry I don't sound like a sales guy right now, and in this economy I should be trying to sell fart in a bottle.

When you are ready to start buying parts, please keep us in mind

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buy some decent tires, get a good alignment, and work on the nut behind the wheel until you get a feel for more specifically what you need/want ("upgrade" could mean a ton of things)
Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
IF you are pretty new to the sport, just drive the crap out of it for a bit. Then figure out were you would like to go from there. Work on the brakes, driver, suspension, cooling and then horsepower-aero. Sorry I don't sound like a sales guy right now, and in this economy I should be trying to sell fart in a bottle.

When you are ready to start buying parts, please keep us in mind

Randy
www.dougrippie.com

Your Z51 equipped C6 can no doubt exceed your own capabilities at this point. I'd concentrate on getting consistent seat time for at least one season before jumping into whatever. Even when buying a dedicated set of track wheels/tires there are various considerations which may change as you progress into the sport. You might buy something now only to discover you should have done something different. Track your car often and concentrate on the fundamentals at this point. You'll get a better insight into what mods you might want to do with more experience.

I'm a little confused by your inquiry "...F55 with Z06 sways??????" If you don't already have the F55 suspension your chances of retro-fitting it to your non-F55 equipped C6 are vitually nil for all practical purposes. Besides, while the F55 with Z06 sway bars actually works pretty well on a road course it's not the ideal track setup.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Bluemountain
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 09 C6 M6 Z51 and took to track all day on Monday (road course)..the car was great but wanted to upgrade suspension/sway bars etc.....the car creeks over bumps and rough pavement after the track day I think do to the hardcore driving I did..I wanted a good track setup..what suspension would you recommend? Z06 sways?????? I will plan to have better rubber then stock tires for track days.

trapp
I just finished my second track event (after) upgrading my C6Z's with suspension, brake upgrades and cooling (brake and engine) upgrading. I did several track events before the upgrades for seat time because it is the most important part of the equation..."you". I went with Pfadt's (not a plug, I just chose them) complete suspension set up (Aggressor 2 pkg), LG's - stop tech's rotors, cobalt XR-2 pads and SS lines, coolings ducts, motul RBF600 and did the events on Invo street tires.....btw, all before I go to R comps. You can mask serious errors this way. just IMHO.....
Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluemountain
I just finished my second track event (after) upgrading my C6Z's with suspension, brake upgrades and cooling (brake and engine) upgrading. I did several track events before the upgrades for seat time because it is the most important part of the equation..."you". I went with Pfadt's (not a plug, I just chose them) complete suspension set up (Aggressor 2 pkg), LG's - stop tech's rotors, cobalt XR-2 pads and SS lines, coolings ducts, motul RBF600 and did the events on Invo street tires.....btw, all before I go to R comps. You can mask serious errors this way. just IMHO.....
Thanks Bluemountain...I know I need more track time but I want to start moving in the right direction on the suspension set up. Thanks for the info.

trapp
Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Bluemountain
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Bluemountain...I know I need more track time but I want to start moving in the right direction on the suspension set up. Thanks for the info.

trapp
Your welcome....I've had great emperical results with Pfadt products and being a **** engineer, it takes me a while to decide but, when I do, I tend to build a system and stay with the components from the same vendor vs. mix and match. Their race team is very patient in explaining all the details for balancing out the car and it's all about balance. Their products are a bit more expensive but, with the adjustability advantage it's a perk in my opinion. There are other vendors out there with good products. My recommendation is once you choose one, use their products to build your system.

I am starting a thread and will have pics of the Pfadt components on as well either today or tomorrow. You can see for yourself.

BM
Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

start moving in the right direction on the suspension set up.
The most important thing would be to get a proper alignment. This will give you more feedback and the harder you push the more grip you will have. Not like with a factory alignment which works against you. Then the shocks should be dealt with next, the shocks offer the most bang for the buck and really improve the feel and control the extra movement the car is doing. Bushings, swaybars and spring rates come next in the important stage. The best way to cure a bad handling car is to install new race rubber.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To upgrading suspension...to what

Quick Reply: upgrading suspension...to what