C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make Headlights Brighter ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:01 AM
RaceCamaro
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make Headlights Brighter ?

2006 ZO6---Was wondering if any one has tried to make headlights brighter? I noticed that only the low beams are HID Xenon (D1S).
The high beams take a H-9 Halogen Bulb.
Has anyone tried to put a HID Xenon Bulb/ballast unit in place of H-9 Halogen bulb on High Beams? And/Or Does someone make a relay kit to keep the low beams on when the high beams are on.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

This doesn't directly answer your question but PIAA makes a nice upgrade H9 that I've been running for nearly a year.... PIAA #70955 High Beams. These are direct replacements and to my eyes the difference was huge.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:40 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RaceCamaro
2006 ZO6---Was wondering if any one has tried to make headlights brighter? I noticed that only the low beams are HID Xenon (D1S).
The high beams take a H-9 Halogen Bulb.
Has anyone tried to put a HID Xenon Bulb/ballast unit in place of H-9 Halogen bulb on High Beams? And/Or Does someone make a relay kit to keep the low beams on when the high beams are on.

The HID is not a good selection for the high beams. You have the ability to "flash" your high beams now. Putting in the HID on the high beams would be bad for the HID system and pretty well delegate the "flash" ability to zero.

You might consider the HID for the fog lights. I went with the 6000K HID on the fogs and also the 6K bulb for my low beams. This tosses a huge amount of "bright" out front when they are both on.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 08-08-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:15 PM
silvervette05
Racer

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
The HID is not a good selection for the high beams. You have the ability to "flash" your high beams now. Putting in the HID on the high beams would be bad for the HID system and pretty well delegate the "flash" ability to zero.

You might consider the HID for the fog lights. I went with the 6000K HID on the fogs and also the 6K bulb for my low beams. This tosses a huge amount of "bright" out front when they are both on.

Elmer
you say you changed your low beams out for 6000K..was that a pretty easy swap..also what is the low beams stock..4300K?? I'd really like to go up to a 6000K myslef..
Old 08-08-2009, 12:37 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by silvervette05
you say you changed your low beams out for 6000K..was that a pretty easy swap..also what is the low beams stock..4300K?? I'd really like to go up to a 6000K myslef..

Easy, just get the wheel out of the way and swap bulbs. The kit I got for the fogs was also easy to do. I think the stockers are 4300 or 4500. The 6K looks very good.

Elmer
Old 08-08-2009, 05:16 PM
silvervette05
Racer

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Easy, just get the wheel out of the way and swap bulbs. The kit I got for the fogs was also easy to do. I think the stockers are 4300 or 4500. The 6K looks very good.

Elmer
o ok..what is the # of the bulb? ex..9005.h10..etc..

Thanks..
Old 08-08-2009, 07:51 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by silvervette05
o ok..what is the # of the bulb? ex..9005.h10..etc..

Thanks..

This is the kit I used for the Fog lights http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=756222

This is the 6K bulbs for the low beams. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...low-beams.html

Elmer
Old 08-10-2009, 12:36 AM
mikeci
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I opted for the 6000k hid's all around. as far as the high beam flash goes around here in my area it doesn't matter if you flash that 80 year old person in the left lane doing 45mph in a 65mph. they wont move over anyway. I have found going to the hid high beams make all the difference in the world on the street light less back roads it's a trade off I'm willing to except.
Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by RaceCamaro
2006 ZO6---Was wondering................ Does someone make a relay kit to keep the low beams on when the high beams are on.
This is one way to keep the Foglights on, the Lows already stay on with the Highs-

I posted this back in April, there was a more thorough posting with pics by a Forum Member who executed this mod, but this covers the basics.

On the fuse box under the hood, connect a diode between terminal J4 (right high beam 12V) to terminal A4 (fog light relay). Current must only flow from the high beam circuit to the fog light circuit.

If you really don't fully understand what you are doing, and/or the implications if you or the mod fails, then you should not do it.

My personal recommendation is don't do this. But you asked..........

This would be quite formidable with HID's in all 6 locations. I don't know if the electrical system could survive but it would be pretty scary to see it from an approaching car.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 08-10-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:35 AM
mikeci
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
snip
This would be quite formidable with HID's in all 6 locations. I don't know if the electrical system could survive but it would be pretty scary to see it from an approaching car.
except for the standard low beams (which you just change the bulbs out to 6000k same wattage) you must come off the main fuse block to get your power for the fogs and the high beams.
and yes its quite a sight no pun intended at least 2 cops thought so when they pulled me over on two different occasions no tickets but a stern warnings
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Make Headlights Brighter ?

Quick Reply: Make Headlights Brighter ?