C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:17 PM
steven05Z51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual question

on a 2005 z51 6spd manual why does that dash say 1-4 when im in first gear? what does that mean? happens sometimes. does it mean ur revving to high?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

That is your CAGS indicator. If you try to shift when that light is on then the shifter will go from 1st gear to 4th gear unless you have the CAGS disabled. If CAGS is disabled then it means nothing.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd CAGS forces the shifter into 4th when the speed is between 14 and 20 and you are lightly accelerating from a full stop. If you shift before 14 or after 20 you can shift normally. You can also shift normally if you are aggressive on the throttle. This feature supposedly saves gas when driving in heavy traffic and GM uses it to avoid the feds gas guzzler tax. You can buy an eliminator or train yourself to shift around it and never be bothered by it again.

Bill
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 PM
steven05Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That is your CAGS indicator. If you try to shift when that light is on then the shifter will go from 1st gear to 4th gear unless you have the CAGS disabled. If CAGS is disabled then it means nothing.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd CAGS forces the shifter into 4th when the speed is between 14 and 20 and you are lightly accelerating from a full stop. If you shift before 14 or after 20 you can shift normally. You can also shift normally if you are aggressive on the throttle. This feature supposedly saves gas when driving in heavy traffic and GM uses it to avoid the feds gas guzzler tax. You can buy an eliminator or train yourself to shift around it and never be bothered by it again.

Bill
im still sorta confused...how do u drive the car hard if its going to go from 1st to 4th? i mean if i launch the car from a dig in first, and shift aggressively? i can drive the car how i want right? its my dads car and he drives very slow and forgets to shift sometimes (honestly) so is that why it came on possibly?..do when will CAGS come on?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Loaded08
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html
Old 08-06-2010, 04:59 PM
steven05Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by Loaded08
thanks man! question, so if i launch from a dig in first at wide open throttle (hypothetically im at the track running a 1/4) will it ruin my run?
Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Loaded08
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steven05Z51
thanks man! question, so if i launch from a dig in first at wide open throttle (hypothetically im at the track running a 1/4) will it ruin my run?
No, there are certain conditions that have to be met for CAGS to activate. Check out the very top of the page that I posted:
From C. Leres,
"Computer aided gear selection (CAGS) is a hack invented to avoid the gas guzzler tax. A solenoid is used to lock out second and third gears when the following conditions are met:
Engine coolant 171° F or greater
Barometric pressure is greater than 76 kPa
Speed between 15 and 19 MPH
Throttle position is 13% or less"

So as long as you're heavy on the petal, or cooler than 171, or going 20 or more, you won't see it.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:06 PM
steven05Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by Loaded08
No, there are certain conditions that have to be met for CAGS to activate. Check out the very top of the page that I posted:
From C. Leres,
"Computer aided gear selection (CAGS) is a hack invented to avoid the gas guzzler tax. A solenoid is used to lock out second and third gears when the following conditions are met:
Engine coolant 171° F or greater
Barometric pressure is greater than 76 kPa
Speed between 15 and 19 MPH
Throttle position is 13% or less"

So as long as you're heavy on the petal, or cooler than 171, or going 20 or more, you won't see it.
gotcha! i just didnt get the part "speed between 15 & 19"..i figured it im WOT in first gear im "speeding" past 15-19...

Get notified of new replies

To manual question

Quick Reply: manual question