C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do not buy from Ecklers Corvette PArts or Carolina Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:26 AM
futurevette08
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do not buy from Ecklers Corvette PArts or Carolina Clutches

Just wanted to warn you guys of this vendor... I have had a very bad experience with them.

I ordered the ls7 clutch kit over the phone and was told it included the flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc. I had no reason to believe it dont because they were charging $40 more than anybody else however everyone else was out of stock. I purchased the item and gave my customer a estimate time for completion of the build. When I recieved the item the box was smashed but nothing was damaged however it dint come with the flywheel. I called them and they said the kit didnt include the flywheel and they made no effort to supply one so I told them I needed to return it for a full refund. I shipped the item back and never recieved a refund for my shipping until two weeks later when I emailed the customer service rep. I still have not recieved a refund for the clutch! It has been almost two months, after a month the rep from Ecklers said the supplier(carolina clutches) had not recieved the item. I verified with usps that the item arrived(within 5 Days actually) and now I am being told by the rep that she is waiting for the refund infor from Carolina clutches but I will be charged a 25% restocking fee because the item is damaged. I doubt the item is damaged but even if it is I thought ahead and purchased shipping insurance now this may have been more helpful if I they would have told me the item was damaged when they recieved it not two months later. When I email the rep it takes days to get a response, If I get one at all.

Anyways, I filed a claim with the Better Business Bereau hoping that will motivate them to resolve the situation. I just wanted to warn any potential buyers that they will not honor their own word and that they have horrable customer service. I personally will never order from them again.
The following users liked this post:
Ray Garci (03-18-2017)
Old 09-02-2009, 12:54 AM
One Bad Vette
Burning Brakes

Sorry about the issue your having. I know the ones who have had good service will probably get "butt hurt", but its good to know as a buyer which businesses have potential problems before we order. G'luck
Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

As a vendor I want to just comment on one aspect of this situation.

Once you have an issue, any and all follow-up communications should be done on the phone. There should be no e-mails, PM's, or smoke signals to the vendor. Document the time and date of the call and what the outcome was such as a promise of a return call after checking on something, not able to get the person on the phone, or even if it applies that the phone number was then out of service.

E-mails are not a valid way to remedy situations that are already gone wrong. They are casual only and for soliciting info or documents for easy transfer to hard-copy. They are not admissible in court because there is no way to verify who is typing in the same way you are able to ID a voice and record it if need be.

Best wishes to all involved for a speedy resolution.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:24 AM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

In California emails with dates on them are admissible evidence in court.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:46 AM
07 Z51
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster

Once you have an issue, any and all follow-up communications should be done on the phone. There should be no e-mails, PM's, or smoke signals to the vendor. Document the time and date of the call and what the outcome was such as a promise of a return call after checking on something, not able to get the person on the phone, or even if it applies that the phone number was then out of service.

E-mails are not a valid way to remedy situations that are already gone wrong. They are casual only and for soliciting info or documents for easy transfer to hard-copy. They are not admissible in court because there is no way to verify who is typing in the same way you are able to ID a voice and record it if need be.

Guy:

I respectfully disagree with your statement that emails are not admissible. My frame of reference is that of a trial attorney.

I routinely offer into evidence emails and judges regularly admit the same and rely upon those emails when rendering their decisions. In fact, my advice is that an unrecorded phone call never happened (another favorite: a verbal contract is as good as the paper it is written on) and that all conversations to which you are a party should be recorded.

While I acknowledge that you are suggesting that the calls should be recorded, a person could use the recorded conversation to expedite the resolution and then memorialize the resolution in writing via email which, when time and date stamped, is more expeditious and less expensive than Return Receipt Certified USPS Mail.

I think that recording the telephone conversation is only one half of the equation. Always follow up with a fax, email or CM,RRR and memorialize the conversation.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:57 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My biz uses a digital email signature verified by VeriSign and has been used several times as authenticated signature via International email transactions.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:11 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I was involved in a legal matter and the first thing our legal team did was take all my emails, so I don't know your source, but we are $36B company and we tend to hire pretty good lawyers.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:07 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Default I am sorry to hear about your problems

Ecklers is notoriously high priced and Carolina Clutch (IMO) is excellent. If you received the box damaged you should have made a claim on the spot and opened the box in front of the UPS rep marking off each item as it was identified. Although all was present it would have established the contents. I find that some "E" company reps know next to nothing technically and swore them off long ago.

I would contact Carolina Clutch directly and try to resolve. If the box was damaged when they received they to should have filed a claim.

To little to late - best of luck!

Last edited by CPG1962; 09-02-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 AM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Wow, holy miss the point.

E-MAILS ARE NOT A WISE WAY OF COMMUNICATING ISSUES WITH VENDORS OF PARTS GONE BAD.

MAKE A PHONE CALL.

As far as court: If a person shows his computer is used by even one other person, nothing on it can be proven to have come from him or to have been put on it by him. As a police officer, I have seen child **** addicts skate on this many times. Its called chain of custody.

Do with it what you want.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:57 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by timd38
I was involved in a legal matter and the first thing our legal team did was take all my emails, so I don't know your source, but we are $36B company and we tend to hire pretty good lawyers.
LOL, yeah Eckler's computer is going to be subpoenaed for small claims court over a clutch.

Send a registered letter to establish time and intent and ten days later file to get your money in court. E-mails cant be used for this. Small claims court wont subpoena his computer to see if he got the E-mail. Its a freakin clutch.

Variables for 'legal issues' have infinite parts in infinite combinations. Your e-mails can be 'taken' by YOUR legal team any time they want. What does that have to do with them making it into court and being entered as evidence? That doesnt mean your e-mails will be allowed it in court by a judge; which is called admissiblity. You werent handcuffed and your computer taken to court where a judge said, "Yeah, he is the only one who had access to that computer". How does your legal team taking your e-mails mean it can be used in court? Thats also not the legal team of someone suing you or the prosecution in a criminal case.....and they can all wipe their collective buttocks with those e-mails, even if there is anything illegal in them, if your computer is shared by others or left on while you're not there and others can use it and of course you will say you dont log out of your e-mail account.

If you're brought up on charges YOUR attorney will first establish chain of custody to dismiss the e-mails as not having been written by you. All that requires is ONE instance of ONE person ever having used your computer which requires a single fingerprint on that computer as I have seen in a real case. It was the "family's" laptop....so with 4 adults that have access, who downloaded the bad stuff???

As a police officer I cant get to probable cause to handcuff a single individual for anything on it and your legal team can take that to the bank. You see my legal team was the government of the United States and they have more money than 36 billion.

Anyway, he can simply say to a customer.....I never got your e-mail which was the point of my original post and not to debate issues of law. Make a phone call and talk to the person. You can record any call that you are part of.

My source? Criminal Proceedure Law of the state of New York, chain of custody/rules of evidence section 60.45, Criminal Justice Code of the State of New Jersey Title 2C (I was state police for both states), the 4th amendment of the constitution of the United States, a BA in Criminal Justice, and a career as a Police Officer including 7 months in the police academy teaching Chain of custody and the rules of evidence, for NY, NJ, and federal jurisdictions. Then I sat in court to see how it lets people get out of things they did. Rather than Law School like so many retired college grad cops, I chose a teaching path and did a BS in MAth Ed and currently doing a MA in math Ed at UCCS because I couldnt take it anymore. Although I am a licensed teacher for both NY and CO, I have no plans to go back to work....I just wanted a challenge to see if I could do it.

BTW, I have a LS7 clutch with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and it didnt come with a factory flywheel. I knew when I bought it that it didnt include one. I then bought a Spec twin.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 09-02-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 AM
futurevette08
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CPG1962
Ecklers is notoriously high priced and Carolina Clutch (IMO) is excellent. If you received the box damaged you should have made a claim on the spot and opened the box in front of the UPS rep marking off each item as it was identified. Although all was present it would have established the contents. I find that some "E" company reps know next to nothing technically and swore them off long ago.

I would contact Carolina Clutch directly and try to resolve. If the box was damaged when they received they to should have filed a claim.

To little to late - best of luck!
I would have checked it in front of the delivery man but I lived in a apt building and the office recieves packages.

I tried to contact carolina clutches and they said I am " off base" and should only be speaking to ecklers.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:38 AM
futurevette08
Heel & Toe

If I had 40 mintutes to sit and stay on hold waiting to actually talk to a person everytime I wanted to communicate with someone then I would call, however I am a very busy person and I find email easier when the phone system is so slow

Best wishes to all involved for a speedy resolution.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by futurevette08
If I had 40 mintutes to sit and stay on hold waiting to actually talk to a person everytime I wanted to communicate with someone then I would call, however I am a very busy person and I find email easier when the phone system is so slow
Again: Send a letter registered mail, wait 10 days, have him served, and go to court.

Sorry but court will be even slower.

For what its worth, I wont use Ecklers because of this.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Mr Clutch
Heel & Toe

lets make sure things are clear, you purchased a kit from ecklers which we, carolina clutch, shipped out for ecklers when we recieved a po from them. carolina clutch did not sell you or even speak to you when you made the purchase all we did was ship the kit out. when we recieved the kit back we did inform ecklers there would be a charge for a disc that was damaged and needed to be replaced. we did drop the ball when issueing the credit. it should have been done a few weeks ago but was overlooked. when ecklers contacted us yesterday the credit was handled immediately. now carolina clutch is being made out to look like the bad guy when all we did was ship the clutch kit out. carolina clutch has not had a single correspondence with you until the email you sent to us this morning. this is why i said you need to speak with ecklers and why i said you were off base saying we were crooks. carolina clutch has sold to a bunch of corvette owners, many who post on here regularly, and we will always try to bend over backwards to help our customers and to make sure they recieve the right kit for their application. the ls7 kit is available with and without flywheel. the kit ecklers sold to you was a kit without flywheel.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 AM
ALLBlackC6
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr Clutch
lets make sure things are clear, you purchased a kit from ecklers which we, carolina clutch, shipped out for ecklers when we recieved a po from them. carolina clutch did not sell you or even speak to you when you made the purchase all we did was ship the kit out. when we recieved the kit back we did inform ecklers there would be a charge for a disc that was damaged and needed to be replaced. we did drop the ball when issueing the credit. it should have been done a few weeks ago but was overlooked. when ecklers contacted us yesterday the credit was handled immediately. now carolina clutch is being made out to look like the bad guy when all we did was ship the clutch kit out. carolina clutch has not had a single correspondence with you until the email you sent to us this morning. this is why i said you need to speak with ecklers and why i said you were off base saying we were crooks. carolina clutch has sold to a bunch of corvette owners, many who post on here regularly, and we will always try to bend over backwards to help our customers and to make sure they recieve the right kit for their application. the ls7 kit is available with and without flywheel. the kit ecklers sold to you was a kit without flywheel.
You just admitted to "overlooking" his refund credit. Call it what you want, fact is, you OVERLOOKED his refund credit and are as much to blame as Ecklers.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
futurevette08
Heel & Toe

I was never made aware of any damge until monday... now as I asked in the message I sent you. If I were to order the clutch from you and then 6-7 weeks later say it is damaged would you refund my money? Most likely not. So why should I be expected to pay 25% restock fee because a new clutch disc cost you $100( according to you) which is in fact less than 18% of the purchase. I had insurance on the item, I doubt they will cover anything this late but they may, I will contact them to see but until they cover it I do not feel like I should be liable for the damage cost when it should have been adressed earlier. i also repackaged the clutch with the bubble wrap it came with, however true I did not have a shrink wrap machine to shrink wrap it but it was packaged for safe shipment.

And yes admitting that the refund was overlooked is admitting to doing some wrong. All ecklers did wrong was not have knowledge of the products they were selling. The refund issue falls with Carolina Clutches.

I am not even getting into the issue of lost time by not recieving the right item. I just wanted my money back... its that simple.

Get notified of new replies

To Do not buy from Ecklers Corvette PArts or Carolina Clutches

Old 09-02-2009, 03:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

IMO, lotta mistakes here all around. first, someone (like the OP) didn't know, or wasn't told correctly what he was purchasing.

Second it came damaged but OP did nothing to correct until later.

Third, OP says very busy person. Well, there is a price to be paid for being very busy and not being diligent and following up with at least two forms of communication, if not more.

Fourth, signatures by fax, emails, and recorded phone may/are legal, but not in all states. We know for instance that recorded phone calls in Maryland without both party's consent is illegal (anyone remember Linda Tripp and Monica Lewinsky?). So is it elsewhere, too.

Fifth, overlooking a credit charge back is "overlooking" and delaying it, right? Therefore, you're in the wrong and no way to minimize it. For your "mistake" you can remedy it by eating the charges or telling Ecks to eat theirs.

Sixth, it went back damaged, this time to the product itself. That is someone's fault, regardless of what packaging was supplied with the original shipment.

Altho this may be the 1/10th of 1% of all merchandise ordered over the phone/email, and shipped by a supplier/mfr. where a problem arises, this is where real customer service and solving problems so the customer stays happy comes into play. So far, this is not happening and two companies are being besmirched.

OP, you're not blameless either, as you can tell from what I wrote above. Your time spent and diligence are important and you chose to spend it elsewhere. You also chose not to package the item even more carefully than when it arrived.

Let's see what the solution to this is. I'd like to read about it. And btw, I'm speaking from experience such as having 20 conversations, at great length each time, with Magellan GPS to resolve some issues....

Last edited by AORoads; 09-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM
futurevette08
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AORoads
IMO, lotta mistakes here all around. first, someone (like the OP) didn't know, or wasn't told correctly what he was purchasing.

Second it came damaged but OP did nothing to correct until later.

Third, OP says very busy person. Well, there is a price to be paid for being very busy and not being diligent and following up with at least two forms of communication, if not more.

Fourth, signatures by fax, emails, and recorded phone may/are legal, but not in all states. We know for instance that recorded phone calls in Maryland without both party's consent is illegal (anyone remember Linda Tripp and Monica Lewinsky?). So is it elsewhere, too.

Fifth, overlooking a credit charge back is "overlooking" and delaying it, right? Therefore, you're in the wrong and no way to minimize it. For your "mistake" you can remedy it by eating the charges or telling Ecks to eat theirs.

Sixth, it went back damaged, this time to the product itself. That is someone's fault, regardless of what packaging was supplied with the original shipment.

Altho this may be the 1/10th of 1% of all merchandise ordered over the phone/email, and shipped by a supplier/mfr. where a problem arises, this is where real customer service and solving problems so the customer stays happy comes into play. So far, this is not happening and two companies are being besmirched.

OP, you're not blameless either, as you can tell from what I wrote above. Your time spent and diligence are important and you chose to spend it elsewhere. You also chose not to package the item even more carefully than when it arrived.

Let's see what the solution to this is. I'd like to read about it. And btw, I'm speaking from experience such as having 20 conversations, at great length each time, with Magellan GPS to resolve some issues....

I do agree that there is more I could have done( making phone calls) however I have sent atleast a dozen emails and everytime I was told the issue was being resolved. Actually I got furthure via email then I did by phone. I should have gotten signatures but I never thought it was going to come to this. I learned from my experience.

As far as the damage product... well as stated above the office at my apartment recieves the package so I had no choice but to except it, when I opend the box nothing was damaged, and I was more concerned with the missing flywheel then a damaged box.

I could have been more diligent in my packaging but I felt it was safe in the box the way it was, obviously I was wrong if it ended up being damaged.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The best part of an e-mail is you have both parties comments documented. It doesn't matter how many other people use the computer the e-mail is between the two with the dispute and it does stand up in court.

Quick Reply: Do not buy from Ecklers Corvette PArts or Carolina Clutches