C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust/Intake/Headers Installed (Noob with Pics/Vids)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:01 PM
LVFR2DY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust/Intake/Headers Installed (Noob with Pics/Vids)

New to this site thought id post what i just finished this weekend....totally different car... love it even more now! Want to get a tune done sometime soon. The video doesnt do the sound of the Corsa justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejjnElLERJQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir9BM57iQVQ

Old 09-06-2009, 02:13 PM
DSOMvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Your looking good,even your lil helper their getting into the act. Dont wait to long on that tune.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
LVFR2DY
Racer

Originally Posted by DSOMvette
Dont wait to long on that tune.
Thanks! Cant believe I got the wife to help How long is too long to wait? I was going to get it done in about two weeks up in Phoenix.... Ill be driving every day until then. Is there risk in driving it and waiting that long?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:37 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, I want to thank you for your service to our country.
Next, there isn't too many things more satisfying to a car nut that modding his/her car. I was the same way the first time I got on it after the header install..I assume you did the work at the base auto shop? Spent a few hours there myself..AF 76-84..
Old 09-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Mike McG
Pro

Thanks for your service! Get a tune ASAP to feel the real effects of those mods
Old 09-06-2009, 02:47 PM
LVFR2DY
Racer

Sure did....Im really glad I have the convience of using a lift and all those tools to do whatever I need to. This was my first time really touching a car, and did it all there with a buddy (and my wife). thanks for your service as well!!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:51 PM
DSOMvette
Pro

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LVFR2DY
Thanks! Cant believe I got the wife to help How long is too long to wait? I was going to get it done in about two weeks up in Phoenix.... Ill be driving every day until then. Is there risk in driving it and waiting that long?
Didn't include this in my original post but A real big THANKS for your service to our country. I just would be careful in beating on it to much until you get a tune, it could throw a code maybe not but a lean condition could occur due to exhaust headers and intake. More than likely the computer will adjust and all will be well. I'm sure others will chime in here and this is my opinion on these changes and would be a good idea sooner rather than later.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:46 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you drive it long enough you will get the code for the cats not lighting off in time..I picked up 28hp/35 torque with headers and tune. If its a manual be sure and get the CAGS (skip shift) deleted. Also consider a 160 thermostat and have the fans programmed to come on sooner.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:29 PM
AlexVette505
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great man! you can't beat Corsa they sound so good.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

I recognize some of that scenery...good ole DMAFB...stationed there for 7 years...41ECS, 43ECS and 355OSS. Congrats on the successful install and thank you for your service to our country!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 PM
LVFR2DY
Racer

Thanks! Nice to see a fellow D-Mer here!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

There really isn't a big hurry on the tune. You will in all likelihood get a Check-Engine-Light though within the next few days (varies from car to car) related to your cats. Changing to long tube headers moves the catalytic converters further down stream and they take longer to heat up and start doing their job. The error code/s will come as a result of the cats not being up to temp within the timeline/spec called out for the factory cats which as you know were snuggled up right next to the manifold. It really doesn't hurt anything to run around with that light on other than the annoyance until you can get with your tuner. Most tuners simply tune out the function/codes that set the CEL. After tuning the actual condition still exists with the delay in the cats warming up but the difference will be in that the ECU is told to not set a CEL for the condition. Make sense?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:57 PM
LVFR2DY
Racer

makes sense! ive had the headers on about three weeks now and the corsa extreme almost a week. drive it every day, and still no CEL....so i guess that is wierd, because i have read most people get one.

im gettin the tune done moday, so i will have them look over everything. will post results once i get back
Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 AM
acrc6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work and sounds great. On the Corsa Extreme's, are they 2.5" or 3"?

If they are 2.5", did you have to order your LG headers with a 3" to 2.5" X-pipe?

Im getting close to buying this exhaust and was wondering the route you took.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 AM
tazlittleking
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

LVFR2DY

Love your white coupe!

I was looking at your post because we are getting ready to do a similar setup. (Just bought our first Vette 2 weeks ago) Realized your house looks very much like mine. It is a US Homes I can tell, and of course by your name you are also in Tucson. Then I also realized you were the other person asking about where to dyno. Talk about a small world.

I have a couple of friends that would be able to take me on base so I can install. Dying to know how everything goes for you up there in Phoenix. Please post or pm.

Are you considering joining a corvette club?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:59 AM
LVFR2DY
Racer

it is a small world! Sure thing, i will post my dyno results when i get back in town on Monday. Going up to xtreme motorsports in Tempe. If you want to meet up and hear my setup in person before you commit to anything, let me know. more than happy to help with your install also. You talking about the Tucson Corvette Club? Might be interested!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:06 AM
LVFR2DY
Racer

Originally Posted by acrc6
Great work and sounds great. On the Corsa Extreme's, are they 2.5" or 3"?

If they are 2.5", did you have to order your LG headers with a 3" to 2.5" X-pipe?

Im getting close to buying this exhaust and was wondering the route you took.
I have the 3" x-pipe that comes with the LG Super Pro setup (with high flow cats). The entire setup bolts right up to the stock mufflers/exhaust axle back. If you want to add an aftermarket axle back, its no problem, it will bolt right up to the system....the Corsa extreme has 3.5'' tips....

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust/Intake/Headers Installed (Noob with Pics/Vids)

Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 AM
tazlittleking
Advanced

LVFR2DY

Would love to meet you sometime after your dyno. You will have to let me buy you guys a celebratory beer.

What year is your Vette?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:27 PM
LVFR2DY
Racer

its an '06. A6 with 3LT pkg. Wanted white with Red interior and 6 speed, but snagged this car up in scottsdale last year for 28K with only 20K miles on it...so i couldn't pass it up!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:08 PM
tazlittleking
Advanced

Nice find!

We drove all the way up to Salt Lake City to get ours. 07 A6 3LT convertible 11K miles for 40K. The owner babies all his sport cars. He has many of them which is why it has low mileage. Love everything about it except the tan top. Replacing top next week with black.

Quick Reply: Exhaust/Intake/Headers Installed (Noob with Pics/Vids)