C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry Sump C6R oil tank question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:23 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Dry Sump C6R oil tank question!

Even though I own a C4 I read the C6 section often. I have read thread after thread pertaining the the dry sump oil problem. I was just curious if an oil tank like they use on the C6R cars would cure the problem? I was at a shop this weekend that makes the tanks and was looking at them and was just curious if you guys were to use those tanks if it would cure the problem?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:14 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I don't think it's just the tank that is the problem.

However, many of us have added the LPE tank, which has a 3 quart greater capacity, and that seems to have solved the problem for now.

If you've followed Dreamin's threads, he documents the spikes in oil pressure during sustained left-hand turns (greater than 1 lateral G for more than 4 seconds).

Although the larger oil capacity seems to have taken care of the problem, it may be rooted in the pickup in the pan, or in aeration of the oil in the tank.

I haven't logged my oil pressure, and I've run quite a bit up on the high-banks of Daytona, but they are steep enough so that I'm generally sustaining Gs of less than 1. However, after reading Dreamin's data, I got an LPE tank and it will go in before I run Daytona again next month.

GM started putting a larger tank in the Z06 and ZR1 with the 2009 model year - and I'm sure it will be in the dry-sump Grand Sport.

I don't know what tank they're using on the C6R, but if it's a larger tank then many of us are doing that already.

Bob
Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Bob
Thanks for the reply! I have not been following the threads real close on the cures for the condition as much as what was happening. When I seen the tank the race teams use it looked to be pretty complicated to cure any oil starvation problems. I looked up the one LPE sells and it really looks like a nice piece and if it is keeping guys from hurting the motors then I would say money well invested.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:42 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say the C6R has very little in common with your street car and most if not all parts would not be applicable to a off the shelf C6.
That said the tank from LPE seems to be a cure for the Z06 guys, there are good aftermarket dry sump systems for the LS2 and LS3 as well. ARE makes one I believe
Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 AM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6400hp
I would say the C6R has very little in common with your street car and most if not all parts would not be applicable to a off the shelf C6.
That said the tank from LPE seems to be a cure for the Z06 guys, there are good aftermarket dry sump systems for the LS2 and LS3 as well. ARE makes one I believe
I agree! The tank was not going to fit in the factory location on a street car however I was more looking at the way it was designed internally and how much trouble they went to ensure the problem did not happen.

I have been kicking around the idea of using a LS in the future for my (cough) C4 (cough) and this was one of the issues that I did not want to have to deal with and wanted to make sure IF I do go this route that I am not fighting the same issue. I have access to a old tank that was used on one of the cars and could probaly get a decent deal on it ( remember I am poor and own a C4) so was wondering if it this tank would be usable when or if I decide to do the swap.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

you hav'nt read "post after post" in this section, LS2/LS3 don't have oil tanks or dry sumps
Old 09-09-2009, 12:44 PM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
you hav'nt read "post after post" in this section, LS2/LS3 don't have oil tanks or dry sumps
?? Who said I was going to use a 2 or 3? If you want to be technical the LS3 that is going to be used in the new GS has a dry sump system. Kateck also sells dry sump kits for the LS3 motor however I am looking at using the LS7 IF I do the swap and do not want to have the same problems the factory cars are having. I will have to buy a tank and was asking the question here to see if the one that I found would solve the problem if I were to use it.

How do you know what I have been reading in here? You spying on me?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCA VETTE
Just an expression ... cool dude, cool dude.

a++ Cedric
Old 06-12-2011, 01:52 PM
aremfg
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drysump.com

Originally Posted by SCCA VETTE
?? Who said I was going to use a 2 or 3? If you want to be technical the LS3 that is going to be used in the new GS has a dry sump system. Kateck also sells dry sump kits for the LS3 motor however I am looking at using the LS7 IF I do the swap and do not want to have the same problems the factory cars are having. I will have to buy a tank and was asking the question here to see if the one that I found would solve the problem if I were to use it.

We could solve this by dry sump'ing every Corvette. ( just a joke, but we have made a good dent! )

Get notified of new replies

To Dry Sump C6R oil tank question!

Quick Reply: Dry Sump C6R oil tank question!