C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on drag racing tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:18 PM
rcmigpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on drag racing tires

I'm tired of spinning and 2.00 60' times so its time for a change. I've got a set of 17 X 9.5 C5 Z06 front rims coming and I need some help making the decision on which tires to get.

Here's the choices I've come up with:

MT ET Street drag radials
Nitto NT555R
Hoosier drag radials
Hoosier 28.0/10.0-17 slicks

Will the Hoosier slicks hook that much better than the drag radials to be worth the trouble of having to change tires at the track? If not, which drag radial are you guys having the best luck with? From what I've read the ET Streets seem to be the favorite. Also, what tire pressure are you guys runing?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Personally I'd go with the ET Street as I believe they take some of the drivetrain shock out of a hard launch, but many have sucess with the Hoosier Drag Radial. You can drive to the track on Both.

I'd go full slicks if your pushing big, big HP.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmigpilot
I'm tired of spinning and 2.00 60' times so its time for a change. I've got a set of 17 X 9.5 C5 Z06 front rims coming and I need some help making the decision on which tires to get.

Here's the choices I've come up with:

MT ET Street drag radials
Nitto NT555R
Hoosier drag radials
Hoosier 28.0/10.0-17 slicks

Will the Hoosier slicks hook that much better than the drag radials to be worth the trouble of having to change tires at the track? If not, which drag radial are you guys having the best luck with? From what I've read the ET Streets seem to be the favorite. Also, what tire pressure are you guys runing?
The Nittos might be a good street tire but they pretty much suck at the track.

I ran with 275/40/17 MT ET Street radials (at 18psi) for over two years and used to think they were the best until a friend turned me on to the Hoosiers (also at 18psi) and with the same size tire I'm now cutting consistent 1.4 60ft times:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...129-95mph.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...132-717-a.html

In addition to hooking like crazy at the track, the other thing I noticed about the Hoosiers (as compared to the MTs) is that if you get any kind of significant wheelspin when you launch the car they will actually rehook so the entire pass doesn't end up being a waste. When I was still using the MTs and didn't get a solid launch I pretty much knew right away that my time for that pass would end up being lousy.

I was tempted to try out the Hoosier slicks but since a slick generally tends to have more rolling resistance than a drag radial I'll probably just stick with my current setup.

Hope that helps,
Christopher
Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 PM
rcmigpilot
Racer

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
The Nittos might be a good street tire but they pretty much suck at the track.

I ran with 275/40/17 MT ET Street radials (at 18psi) for over two years and used to think they were the best until a friend turned me on to the Hoosiers (also at 18psi) and with the same size tire I'm now cutting consistent 1.4 60ft times:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...129-95mph.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...132-717-a.html

In addition to hooking like crazy at the track, the other thing I noticed about the Hoosiers (as compared to the MTs) is that if you get any kind of significant wheelspin when you launch the car they will actually rehook so the entire pass doesn't end up being a waste. When I was still using the MTs and didn't get a solid launch I pretty much knew right away that my time for that pass would end up being lousy.

I was tempted to try out the Hoosier slicks but since a slick generally tends to have more rolling resistance than a drag radial I'll probably just stick with my current setup.

Hope that helps,
Christopher
This is the kind of first hand experience I'm looking for. Have you found the Hoosiers to be as sensitive to burnout duration as the MTs? I've read posts by Ranger that say do a big burn out before the first pass and a little one before all the rest because if you do to big of a burnout before the second and subiquant passes the tires can get greasy due to too much heat. Also, have you ever had the Hoosiers in the rain? I'm in southern Louisiana and small, sporatic showers are a fact of life. While I'll only be running the drag radials to and from the track, some nights (like last night) there's a small shower on the way home.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 PM
socalzo6
Pro

I've had very good results with hoosier drags 275/40/17. M/T would be my second choice.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:26 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA

This is the kind of first hand experience I'm looking for. Have you found the Hoosiers to be as sensitive to burnout duration as the MTs? I've read posts by Ranger that say do a big burn out before the first pass and a little one before all the rest because if you do to big of a burnout before the second and subiquant passes the tires can get greasy due to too much heat. Also, have you ever had the Hoosiers in the rain? I'm in southern Louisiana and small, sporatic showers are a fact of life. While I'll only be running the drag radials to and from the track, some nights (like last night) there's a small shower on the way home.
I've found the Hoosiers to be more forgiving if you don't do a decent burnout as I've cut some pretty decent times after doing one I thought was too short.

With both types of tires I get lots of smoke on the first burnout then let the tires dictate the length of the subsequent ones in that I'll listen for the engine RPM to start dropping (while maintaining a constant throttle) which means they're getting sticky. I also make sure to check my tire pressure before each run as they can change quite a bit based on the outside air temps.

I've never gotten the Hoosiers wet but did almost get into a wreck once with the MTs while doing 65 on the freeway and it started to rain. I had always thought drag radials were only a concern if you got on them too hard or punched it going around a corner but I was on a flat section and the car just started weaving back and forth. Since the Hoosiers have even less tread (if you can even call it that) I would't recommend them for any driving away from the track.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:46 AM
rcmigpilot
Racer

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
I've found the Hoosiers to be more forgiving if you don't do a decent burnout as I've cut some pretty decent times after doing one I thought was too short.

With both types of tires I get lots of smoke on the first burnout then let the tires dictate the length of the subsequent ones in that I'll listen for the engine RPM to start dropping (while maintaining a constant throttle) which means they're getting sticky. I also make sure to check my tire pressure before each run as they can change quite a bit based on the outside air temps.

I've never gotten the Hoosiers wet but did almost get into a wreck once with the MTs while doing 65 on the freeway and it started to rain. I had always thought drag radials were only a concern if you got on them too hard or punched it going around a corner but I was on a flat section and the car just started weaving back and forth. Since the Hoosiers have even less tread (if you can even call it that) I would't recommend them for any driving away from the track.

That's kinda what I thought. With those two tiny grooves they're basically cheater slicks. But if I have to change tires at the track would the new slicks be a better alternative? Which do you think would last more passes?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:08 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That's kinda what I thought. With those two tiny grooves they're basically cheater slicks.
That's a good point, one might even call the Hoosier drag radials more like radial slicks (Goodyear and M/T have those now and others might as well I think) but they are still classified as true drag radials. Unfortunately some sanctioning bodies/race promoters do not recognize the Hoosier drag radials as true drag radials and they've been known to disqualify cars that were using them in 'drag radial only' competition.

But if I have to change tires at the track would the new slicks be a better alternative?
Possibly, yes. To me, part of the beauty of a drag radial is the ability/freedom to drive to and from the track on them with only a change in tire pressures if needed. If one has to go through all of the hassles of dragging a jack, tools, second set of wheels/tires to the track every time then yes, they may as well just use true bias ply slicks if that suits their application better.
As far as what lasts longer/more passes between Hoosier drag radials and slicks, I would think it's pretty close, though M/T drag radials will certainly out live both in most cases though.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 676 Posts

Your profile lists the car as stock. Are you planning to add mods? I did low 1.7s on 16" nitto drag radials on my much heavier F-body. Just don't over-tire (e.g. Hooiser 28" slicks) if you are staying near stock as that will slow you down.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:29 PM
rcmigpilot
Racer

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Your profile lists the car as stock. Are you planning to add mods? I did low 1.7s on 16" nitto drag radials on my much heavier F-body. Just don't over-tire (e.g. Hooiser 28" slicks) if you are staying near stock as that will slow you down.
Added the Vararam last week, getting ready to do headers and will get a Chuck CoW tune when he visits Houston later this year.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:04 PM
rcmigpilot
Racer

Subfloor do you drive to the track on the Hoosiers or change them after you get there? I noticed the Hoosiers have a "don't use these on the street" warning on the web page.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:05 AM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Subfloor do you drive to the track on the Hoosiers or change them after you get there? I noticed the Hoosiers have a "don't use these on the street" warning on the web page.
I throw them in the back and bring a jack with me.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:02 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99

Completely different car, completely different suspension, and more weight over the rear end. Apples to oranges.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
Completely different car, completely different suspension, and more weight over the rear end. Apples to oranges.
Yup it is different. IRS isn't as good for drag racing but less weight and better weight distribution help balance that out.

He's got an NA A6 and without a torque converter or 3.42s. No tire will get him much better than a 1.90. If he over tires the car, he will go slower.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on drag racing tires

Quick Reply: Opinions on drag racing tires