C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maf screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Maf screen

Is there any documented evidence that you gain any HP by removing the MAF screen from a C6 LS2 motor?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:28 AM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 357
Is there any documented evidence that you gain any HP by removing the MAF screen from a C6 LS2 motor?
No evidence but you will hear strong opinions regarding rationale for leaving it or removing it from others. I feel if your MAF was "engineered" with the screen, the benefits of removing it are small compared with the potential reasons it was put in place such as smoothing the airflow.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:44 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE
No evidence but you will hear strong opinions regarding rationale for leaving it or removing it from others. I feel if your MAF was "engineered" with the screen, the benefits of removing it are small compared with the potential reasons it was put in place such as smoothing the airflow.
I agree, but you will get as many opinions as posts. One of the arguments t get rid of is that the Z06 doesn't have it. I believe that GM would not spend the money if it did not serve a purpose.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about removing it but after taking my air intake system apart for cleaning one day, I found a little bit of crap in on the screen. Don't know how it got there but the element on the MAF is very sensitive.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:01 PM
C6nFL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its purpose is to protect the MAF elements just behind it...Others have said its there to even out the air flow. On the LS1's I remember seeing dyno'd gains of close to 5rwhp by removing it.

Not sure whether Z06's have it or not, but the argument behind removal is that anything small enough to get past the filter is definitely small enough to get past the holes in the screen.

I have not removed mine. What is 5hp more, with possible added risk, when Ive got 650 already

I can see reason behind both arguments though. I would guess that if your intake track and filter are tight and secure, you would be ok with removal.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:57 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

whether its for evening the air flow or not. it does straighten the airflow alowing for better resolution on the maf reading. keep it in.

i have a 100mm maf i added a screen to that has helped with idle and the ability to accurately deliver fuel.

-carl
Old 11-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to stir the pot, Why did Chevy get rid of the MAF screen on the LS3?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:04 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

there is no housing for a screen to be mounted to and its a tuned and flowbenched intake.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:08 AM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by 357
Small changes to the design of the air intake track make big changes to the way the MAF interprets the air presented to it. Even the position of the MAF itself in the track can have an impact to the tuning(i.e. turning it clockwise/countercockwise from its original tuned location). The sensor within the housing may also change based on the year and model.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:34 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Having run the range of everything you can do to the MAF, I have never once seen a car lose HP from removing the screen. GM used the exact same MAF as this on the C5 and removed the screen for additional power (and advertised that was why they removed it on the 2002 Z06).

I have removed it on early C6 builds and never saw a loss. It is an obstruction and makes negligeable power to the positive removing it. A 100mm MAF makes far more sense and none of the above affects the idle in an adverse way. In fact, my idle im proved both by removing the screen and later with a 100mm MAF. On H/C cars it is a measurable gain but nothing like a bigger 100mm housing will get you. I see no change on scans to show anything adverse and challenge anyone who claims otherwise to post the proof.

Lots of info on the topic of MAF gains:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...lications.html
Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Small changes to the design of the air intake track make big changes to the way the MAF interprets the air presented to it. Even the position of the MAF itself in the track can have an impact to the tuning(i.e. turning it clockwise/countercockwise from its original tuned location). The sensor within the housing may also change based on the year and model.
The only change that affects an MAF is how close to a bend it is so you simply keep it away from a bend. Turning it does nothing in a scan or on a dyno.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:45 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 357
They didnt get rid of the screen, they changed sensor to a blade type that has no housing. The 2005-2007 sensor is the exact same one from the 2001-2004 C5 but on C5 Z06's they removed the screen. Non-Z06's had the screen in place on all models from 2001 to 2007. Z06 tracts had the same MAF position for Z06 and non-Z06 cars showing the screen was not needed for 'airflow straightening'.

The screen in place decreases effective diameter for the air path so removing it gets you an effective increase in diameter. It is good for catching debris that makes it into the path so I would leave it in place until you need more air near 450rwhp or more when a 100mm MAF will help.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:28 PM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 357
You have to be careful who did the documenting. All the engineers I've spoken with tell me to leave it alone. Benefits of removal rarely justify the loss in metering accuracy and will throw the calibration out of whack.
This screen is designed to reduce turbulence entering the MAF and promotes laminar airflow across the element for accurate readings.

I removed most of the screen except for right in front of the element. That coupled with the improved calibration of the MAS provided crisper throttle response at lower RPM ranges.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by seevi
You have to be careful who did the documenting. All the engineers I've spoken with tell me to leave it alone. Benefits of removal rarely justify the loss in metering accuracy and will throw the calibration out of whack.
This screen is designed to reduce turbulence entering the MAF and promotes laminar airflow across the element for accurate readings.

I removed most of the screen except for right in front of the element. That coupled with the improved calibration of the MAS provided crisper throttle response at lower RPM ranges.
Having fully removed it on dozens of cars with no decrease in throttle response, I think you have faulty info.

Please post you before and after scans to show the calibration being out of whack.

Do you have HPtuners?

In contrast to your statement every car I did this to including my own has better throttle respnse without a MAF screen particularly with Z06 sensors.

As far as what engineers we should listen to, GM remobved the screen for the better performing car on the same engine, with the same MAF....just no screen. Were they wrong?

Last edited by SpinMonster; 11-29-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:32 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Having fully removed it on dozens of cars with no decrease in throttle response, I think you have faulty info.

Please post you before and after scans to show the calibration being out of whack.

Do you have HPtuners?

In contrast to your statement every car I did this to including my own has better throttle respnse without a MAF screen particularly with Z06 sensors.

As far as what engineers we should listen to, GM remobved the screen for the better performing car on the same engine, with the same MAF....just no screen. Were they wrong?
i have to agree with ya spin. a side note:When the MAF meter first came out on Gm's (like the buick centuries and park avenues for ex) why they used the screen and everyone wondered. Having worked at a GM dealership and other places and going thru many classes put on by GM they flip flopped back and forth between it was to take the spinning turbulant air and straighten and to be a somewhat filter for large debris. Funny really i think they flip flopped because they used the same sensor on different models and tried to address what the screen was for on different cars. Some filtering would never be an issue and some the sensor was far away from the motor in a filter housing wit ha huge filter where turbulant air really wasnt an issue. Bottom line, i think its not needed especially on OBD 2 cars. just my take for what its worth.

Last edited by HANNY; 11-29-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

The only change that affects an MAF is how close to a bend it is so you simply keep it away from a bend. Turning it does nothing in a scan or on a dyno.
Turning it effected my scans. Caused an off idle hesitation and a timing drop.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:12 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Turning it effected my scans. Caused an off idle hesitation and a timing drop.
Please forward the scan(s):

DETENTIONizOVER@yahoo.com

Get notified of new replies

To Maf screen

Old 11-30-2009, 07:26 AM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have HPtuners?

Do you have an engineering degree?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:39 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Do you have an engineering degree?
You must be new here.

Yes and I teach math, as if that has anything to do with the experience that proves it works without a screen and in any position. I actually did multiple degrees during my police career knowing I was to go into teaching when I retired from the police.

School aside how would it invalidate the over 100 corvettes I have worked on? As already supplied in this thread, I am an MAF expert. Here is the link again since you likely missed it. Take your time and read it so you can marvel at the rediculous number of things I have pioneered on this car and what mods it has.....all done and designed by me:
(Take your time; there's a lot to absorb)

So here is my intake tube....note there is no stock MAF and the new one doesnt have a screen.....nor does it matter where the sensor is mounted:

Here are a few other threads showing my engineering skills and original inventions for this car:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-solution.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...mpression.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...cam-specs.html

I can get a Geo Metro MAF to run perfectly in a corvette if I had to.

Instead of evading the obvious, why dont you simply supply the scans/proof? The OP asked for DOCUMENTED EVIDENCE and not who knows a guy who's best friend went to school with a guy who has a cousin that said it doenst work. My proof is on the table as is my car running an MAF it didnt come with, that has no screen and it runs smoothly in the many different positions I had the MAF mounted in.

Anyone who wants to try it for themselves, I have a screenless stock MAF that I can ship you to try and then send it back when you verify what I said and proved time and time again is true. PM if interested.

You have to be careful who did the documenting.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 11-30-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You tell'em Spin.

Quick Reply: Maf screen